5 Tips for River Cruising
You've chosen your cruise operator and picked which river you want to explore. Your airline tickets are booked and you're eager to relax with a glass of wine as a dreamy landscape passes by. Before you go, here are five tips to help you make the most of your river cruise adventure.
1. Pick up food in port. There isn't much food available between mealtimes on the ship, so grabbing some snacks in town will help tide you over if you're hungry on the river. It's also a good way to infuse more local flavor into your meals.
2. Study the map before you reach the port. The concierge desk has maps of each port. Pick one up the night before you land and take advantage of the boat's Wi-Fi to look up and circle any points of interest you want to check out.
3. Bring a telephoto lens or binoculars. Sometimes the river's wide enough that churches and castles on the shore will seem tiny to your iPhone camera or naked eye.
4. Watch out for bees. The water is no escape. If you're allergic or afraid of bees, prepare for frequent encounters.
5. Don't go overboard. Well, literally don't do that, but also don't pile too much on your plate. Jet lag, socializing and an always-changing landscape can tire you out more than you'd expect. You don't have to do every tour or excursion. Take time to nap, read or watch the countryside float by.
More River Cruise Information
- Is River Cruising the Right Vacation for You?
- This is What a River Cruise Would Look Like if the Boat Went Really Fast
- Is the Price of a River Cruise Worth It?
AOL Travel has a policy against keeping any free or promotional items valued at more than $25 that are provided by companies to the editorial staff for review. In order to access the latest products and technology for review, we sometimes accept travel and accommodations (along with other members of the press). Our opinions and criticisms are always our own. Our editorial is not for sale, and never will be.
Add a Comment
Find the best offers to compare and save money.
Search for Deals
Jan 17th 2014 5:04PM
Jan 14th 2014 2:57PM
Jan 9th 2014 1:09PM
- Adventure Travel
- Air Travel
- Arts & Culture
- Best Of
- Food + Drink
- Historic Sites
- Road Trips
- Spring Break
- Ski Vacations
- Spa & Wellness
- Tips & Tricks
- Weekend Getaways