Letters To Our Younger Selves

Posted Oct 7th 2013 08:50 AMUpdated Mar 28th 2014 02:55 PM

travel planning
Shutterstock / gorillaimages
In honor of International Day of the Girl, we've asked five female travel writers to write a letter to a younger version of herself, telling the girl tales of the experiences she can look forward to, and the lessons she will learn from travel.

Dear Dana
A small-town girl's big dreams eventually lead her beyond the library to Russia, Slovakia and Paris, always Paris. Read letter>>

Dear Pam
A passion for language opens doors around the world -- and comes in handy when the writer drives a borrowed car into a cornfield ditch in Spain. Read letter>>

Dear Jenie
A child's early attempt to dig a backyard hole to Africa is later answered with a real life lessons in a Tanzanian village. Read letter>>

Dear Terry
A girl concerned with following the expected course discovers freedom when she later chooses a life on the road. Read letter>>

Dear Nina
A family connection to travel affords the writer a childhood of unique experiences -- a tradition she later continues with her own children. Read letter>>

More Travel Ideas to Inspire Girls

Tough Cookies Road Trip: Women's History in Texas and Oklahoma
Western women are some tough cookies, and you can learn about the cowgirls, pioneer women and other adventurers who cultivated the Wild West on a road trip through Texas and Oklahoma.

Around the Block: Amelia Earhart's Birthplace and Atchison, Kansas
Aviation fans can't miss Amelia Earhart's childhood home in Atchiston, Kansas. Find out what to do while you're here, plus where to eat and local tips.

---

In sharing these stories we hope you are inspired to Raise Your Hand for girls' education, helping us spread the word on this crucial effort.

---

More International Day of the Girl Stories

Autoblog: The List - Drive the Bonneville Salt Flats
The host of Autoblog's The List, Jessi Combs, will attempt to become the Fastest Woman on Earth in October by attempting to break the Woman's World Landspeed Record on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Autoblog takes a look at the driver's preparation for this feat.

DailyFinance: A Money-Savvy Daughter Looks Back on the Finance Lessons That Stuck With Her
Erin Lowry, founder of Broke Millennial, shares the power education and financial freedom has had on her life.

DailyFinance: For Girls, the Fruits of Success Can Grow from a Strong Start in STEM
One big barrier to U.S. girls reaching their full earning potential is academic: While 60% of college degrees go to women, only 41% of engineering and science degrees do.

AOL Jobs: Girl Develop It Co-Founder Provides Keys To The Coding Kingdom
Vanessa Hurst and Sara Chipps founded Girl Develop It as a safe place for women to learn about coding. More than 5,000 women have taken its classes.

AOL Jobs: Girl Develop It Success Stories
Girl Develop It alums Tracy Bartley and Brenda Storer got the confidence and tech skills they needed to advance their careers.

Engadget: Growing Up Geek
The women who work at Engadget take a look back at their youth, and tell stories of growing up to be the nerds that they are.

Cambio: Girls Who Inspire Us
This slideshow features Cambio's fave celebrity "girls" who are daily inspirations.

AOL Autos: Saudi Arabian Women To Protest Driving Ban On Oct. 26
Saudi society is slowly inching toward more equality, but driving is still disallowed for women.

TechCrunch: My Experience As A Fourth Grade Hacker
Alexandra Jordan, who conceived of and coded her own hack, a playdate app called Super Fun Kid Time, writes about what it's like to be a young coder.

AOL Real Estate: Raising the Roof: Stunning Homes Designed by Women
AOL Real Estate spoke with several American women architects across the country -- with an emphasis on those who design homes -- to see what inspires them, as well as what still challenges them.

HuffPost Tech: Leigh Alexander On The Biggest Problem With Video Games Today
The popular writer and game critic discusses gender issues in the gaming industry.

Follow AOL Travel on Facebook and Twitter
Filed Under: Family, Arts & Culture

Arnaud Beh

Les filles d’AAA vous souhaitent leurs meilleurs vœux pour la journée internationale de la jeune fille 2013.
Une célébration locale sera organisée à cette occasion le samedi 26 octobre à Yaoundé, dans les bureaux de African Action on AIDS. Durant la journée plusieurs activités seront proposées dont une projection du film ``écrire pour exister ‘’, réalisé par Richard LaGarenese et une discussion avec Daniella Diserens sur les avantages de garder un journal intime. Le groupe d’AAA a l’intention de publier leur série de : ``lettre à une plus jeune version de moi’’qui seront écrites par les jeunes filles d’African Action on AIDS. Beaucoup de choses à découvrir encore !

November 22 2013 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zyspk

How well I recall in my teen years how sharp, intelligent ladies were a total "turn on." My male friends "hooted & hollered" and told me that I was full of "donkey dust." They were wrong. I married one! 52 years ago. Best decision I ever made!

Ken House

October 10 2013 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arnaud Beh

Les filles d'AAA vous souhaites ses meilleurs voeux pour la Journée Internationale de la jeune fille 2013.
Une célébration locale sera organise a cette occasion le samedi 26 octobre a Yaoundé, dans les bureaux de African Actions on Aids. Durant la journée plusieurs activités seront proposer dont, une projection du film " écrire pour exister",réalisé par Richard LaGarenese, et une discussion avec Daniella Diserens sur les avantages de garder un journal intime. Le groupe d'AAA a l'intention de publier leurs série de " lettre a une plus jeune version de moi" qui seront écrite par les jeunes filles d'African Actions on Aids. beaucoup de choses a découvrir encore!

October 10 2013 at 8:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arnaud Beh

AAA girls send Warm Greetings to all world girls on Interntional Day of the Girl-2013.
A local celebration will be organised on saturday 26 october here in Yaounde at AFRICAN ACTION ON AIDS head office.
We plan to watch the film'' Freedom Writers'' of Richard LA GRARENESE through internet if possible.
We also plan to discuss with Daniella DISERENS on advantages of keeping a personal journal.
We intend to post our series of ''Letters to our Younger Selves'' on this space as they get
written by our different menbers.
Lots of fun coming !!! Keep checking on us

October 10 2013 at 8:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bo hooster

I have always been a big fan of For Each One Teach One. Therefore, My hand is high up for the Girls.....
Good Luck.

October 09 2013 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
narira

I am proud of you. World new more brave humans like you. You are in my prayers.
Narges

October 09 2013 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chicagototexas

This is a fantastic idea! I especially like to enourage young ladies to study science and math. While taking a deep interest in all subjects is important to success and survival; math and science give you a "heads up". In otherwords, you expand your options when selecting the next steps in your career development.

October 09 2013 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ddianelockard

I discovered this on an email from AOL Travel; I am "retired," but as many people are doing today, continuing on for my Second Act. Recently, joined a group, Encore that discusses that subject.

I have granddaughters and great- granddaughters and the opportunities to expand their knowledge has expanded by "leaps and bounds." If I needed a travel companion, at one point in time, I would ask my oldest granddaughter to go with me.

After winning two round trip plane tickets for a story, "What It Means to be a Grandparent?" we traveled to Baltimore/Washington, D.C. and rented a car. Drove north through Penn. and the colorful fall foliage to visit my oldest daughter and the rest of my grandchildren...

On our return to the airport, we were close to Gettysburg. I told, Chenille, " I don't care if we have only an hour to spend there, we are stopping. An amazing place, and want to return, one day.

I wrote a story, Three Strollers and a Baby, about our adventures in 2005, four generations of my family, youngest daughter, granddaughter, year-old "great" and I boarded a plane for Dublin and London. Cathy wanted me to go while I was still agile -spry, active. Was it a good idea? Yes and no...

I am a Mentor at the Salt Lake Community College Writing Center, and a member of Osher, a lifelong learning group through the University of Utah. You are Never too Old to Learn!

October 09 2013 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emma S Trollerud

Knowledge is power. That power can be used to advance spiritually, socially, emotionally and financially. Let's use this God-given gift to transform our world!

October 09 2013 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rozh2

Women make the first impression for the education of the family. If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. In many countries, despite the hardships, most governments realize the importance of training for both boys and girls. Bar none, it is a beautiful thing to see that young people are treated with respect no matter what their gender. In so many places it is good to see young people going to get an education in their school best, and learning not just academic skills, but learning social skills as well. Even in the bowels of the Mara, the remote places of Fiji, those children were present and were getting their skills for the future. I was blessed to have been a Public School Science Teacher, and I hope I gave my all for both my male and female students.

October 09 2013 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply