Beach House Diaries: 6 Tips for Vacationing with Dogs
Dogs can make excellent traveling companions. Nevertheless, I've discovered that "ruffing it" does pose a few challenges. These pointers will help you get a leg up before em-barking.
- In addition to hotels, inns, resorts and such, petswelcome.com lists pet-friendly vacation rentals. The Humane Society has helpful info on how to best get your animal there by car or plane, plus tips on what to pack for Fido's trip.
- Before going to a beach house for the first time, enquire about any potential outdoor hazards. You don't want your furry friend to get coated in deer ticks, have a run-in with an ornery raccoon or be turned into a coyote's chew toy.
- Beach house guests who want a return invitation -- or renters who want their damage deposit returned -- must ensure their pup respects the owner's property. Shredding couch cushions and gnawing on table legs isn't "adorable."
- Not all beaches are created equal: some have strict leash laws, while others ban dogs outright. You'll find 50 of America's best canine-friendly at hikewithyourdog.com. The site also covers parks and trails four-legged family members will love.
- On public beaches always observe proper etiquette: obey signs regarding on-leash or environmentally sensitive areas; make sure your pet doesn't scare small children or steal people's picnics; and remember to pick up doggy do.
- Is your dog is very active, adventurous or accident prone? The Red Cross website tells you how to assemble a Pet First Aid Kit. Petmed.com is another handy resource if you're faced with away-from-home health issues.
Add a Comment
Find the best offers to compare and save money.
Fly Round-Trip to France, Spain, Italy & More this Winter
Published by ShermansTravel.com
Search for Deals
Dec 6th 2013 2:30PM
Dec 5th 2013 11:29AM
Dec 4th 2013 4:58PM
Dec 2nd 2013 11:26AM
- Adventure Travel
- Air Travel
- Arts & Culture
- Best Of
- Food + Drink
- Historic Sites
- Road Trips
- Spring Break
- Ski Vacations
- Spa & Wellness
- Tips & Tricks
- Weekend Getaways