Beach House Diaries: 10 Summer Beach House Packing Tips
Posted May 30th 2013 03:00 PMUpdated Jun 20th 2013 04:33 PM
If you own your beach house -- or return to the same one every year -- you already know what to take. Packing for a new place is trickier, so contacting the owner or manager in advance to ask specific questions about how well equipped the property is should be your first step. Here are some other been-there-done-that tips from Susan MacCallum-Whitcomb, our beach house expert.
- Grocery prices can be high and selection low in beach communities, so raid your at-home cupboard for spices and specialty items.
- Resourceful cooks can make do with most kitchenware supplied, but good knives are at a premium and easy to pack.
- Addicted to your juicer? Need a blender to fulfill Margaritaville fantasies? You'll probably have to bring such appliances.
Bedding and Toiletries
- Bed linens are usually included. But if getting a good night sleep requires the perfect pillow, take your own.
- When packing toiletries, remember summer essentials like sunscreen, after-sun lotion, lip balm and insect repellent.
- Bring your meds plus a basic first aid kit (it should include Pepto-Bismol in case that clam bake disagrees with you).
- If you're traveling with young children, ensure you have all the necessary gear to keep them comfortable and safe.
- Know what type of beach you're prepping for. Boogie Boards, for instance, won't be used on a bathtub-calm lake.
- Not all beach bottoms are blessed with sand. If yours is rocky (or covered with eelgrass), you'll want water shoes.
- Ask if beach towels are available and pack accordingly. In either case, bring an old blanket for waterside lounging.
Susan MacCallum-Whitcomb will report on life at a summer beach house in AOL Travel's weekly Beach House Diaries. Follow along with her or share your beach house tips in the comments below.
Find the best offers to compare and save money.
Search for Deals
- Adventure Travel
- Air Travel
- Arts & Culture
- Best Of
- Food + Drink
- Historic Sites
- Road Trips
- Spring Break
- Ski Vacations
- Spa & Wellness
- Tips & Tricks
- Weekend Getaways