Seychelles Shark Attack: Ian Redmond, British Honeymooner, Eaten by Shark

Posted Aug 16th 2011 06:45 PMUpdated Aug 17th 2011 12:29 PM

TEXT SIZE:

AAA
A British honeymooner was eaten by shark on Tuesday while swimming close to the shore in the Seychelles.

30-year-old Ian Redmond was swimming off Anse Lazio beach on the island of Paslin when he was attacked by a 6-foot shark, the Telegraph reports. He and his new wife, 27-year-old Gemma Houghton, had arrived on August 14th for their 2-week honeymoon.

Tourists on the beach watched as he yelled "help!" and was mauled by the shark. A tourist told the Sun, "There was a horrific amount of blood in the water and it was exactly like a scene from Jaws."


Redmond was brought to shore following the attack. He was rushed to the hospital and pronounced dead from massive blood loss.

An employee of La Reserve hotel confirmed that the couple were staying there, Sky News reports.

"Shark hunters" were flown in from South Africa to track a "rogue" shark that was thought to be in the waters. Seychelles' interior minister, Joel Morgan, ordered all beaches in the area closed and banned swimming in the area. Officials banned tourists from snorkeling or swimming until the shark is caught, the Sun reports.

Redmond's parents are reportedly en route to the island and the British High Commissioner has already flown in to comfort Redmond's widow.


The island's tourism head, Alain St Ange, sent his condolences to the family and told the Telegraph: "It was a freak accident. We are closing the beaches pending the arrival of experts from South Africa." Yet, earlier this month, a 36-year-old French man was killed by a shark on the same beach.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (aka Will & Kate) honeymooned some 20 miles from the horrific scene back in May.

British Man Killed in Shark Attack

Filed Under: News