Newark: America's Most Delayed Airport (UPDATE, VIDEO)

Posted Aug 9th 2011 09:45 AM

UPDATE: Newark Airport, aka, America's most delayed airport, has gotten the Taiwanese animation treatment.

Newark's Liberty International Airport may just be the worst for travelers in America.

According to a new Wall Street Journal survey, 40 of the 100 most-delayed flights in America either depart from or arrive at the New Jersey hub.

Five of the top ten most frequently delayed flights originate or terminate at Newark and the top two most delayed flights are both Delta routes to Atlanta from the Brick City.

The Journal concludes that Newark's problem is two-fold: Many of the planes travel through the airport after experiencing delays in Washington D.C, and the airspace in the New York City area is the most crowded in the country.

WATCH the treatment below:

The Federal Aviation Administration has been redesigning air traffic pathways near the Big Apple for several years and was planning to implement a new system next year, a project that could face delays if the FAA shutdown continues.

In the meantime, travelers moving through Newark can think of the delays as an excuse to wander around the airport with the second worst facilities in America. Liberty International had lower satisfaction scores than only New York's LaGuardia in a J.D. Power and Associates study published last year.

The airports with the highest number of frequently delayed flights are (in order of likeliness travelers will end up sitting in uncomfortable seats sadly eating Cinnabons):

1) Newark's Liberty International
2) Chicago's O'Hare International
3) Boston's Logan International
4) New York's LaGuardia International
5) Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International
6) Miami International
7) Minneapolis-St. Paul International
8) New York's JFK International
9) Los Angeles International
10) Northwest Arkansas Regional

Filed Under: Air Travel, News

I don't find Newark too bad. I usually take Continental, which is based in Newark, and I've never had any major delays with them. I think the facilities at Newark are fine. I think New Jerseyans just like to bitch and moan.

August 05 2011 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

How did I know that without even opening the article?

August 05 2011 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Thats only because of all the travelers escaping from the real worst airport, Philly

August 05 2011 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

They're comparing delayed flights. They're not asking about actual airport experience. If they did, I think the list would be entirely different, with Miami topping the list followed by Chicago Ohare.

August 05 2011 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

No DFW? - I haven't had an AA flight leave on time yet this year!!

August 05 2011 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to roperstan's comment

I can't believe DFW isn't number one!

August 06 2011 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I'm sick of people who don't speak English, no matter what airport I'm in. This is the USA. Learn the language or go back to your own scummy country and live in a refrigerator carton.

August 05 2011 at 8:23 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to lornawestie's comment
yo are funny

August 05 2011 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

your a hack....obviously have never traveled outside of your own little country so you have no idea whats its like to travel internationaly u closed minded little ****

August 05 2011 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

So......New Jersey has made it to the #1 spot for something?????? Always negative....what a shame!

August 05 2011 at 8:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I'm surprised Dallas/Fort Worth isn't on the list. I've never been on time in that airport!

August 05 2011 at 6:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Ohare airport sucks

August 05 2011 at 1:40 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to h80823's comment
Fredrick Stanley

I typically fly out of Midway in order to avoid the delays that seem to happen frequently at O'Hare. Also, it's simpler to navigate Midway from parking to terminal to gate.

August 05 2011 at 5:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Frankly, most of the large airports suck! ..The only one I really like –overseas, is Barcelona!..Anyway, I reduced flying trips big time, drive or take a train, enjoy a book, movie, take a time to “disconnect”! I now leave the “rat race” for others. Airports are getting too annoying and frustrating. Many are now thinking alike: enough is enough, why not taking time and have a life after all! I even wish we could travel by boat (of course if you are not sea sick!). I remember these days with my parents: it was wonderful! And who care about time! Believe me friends; I don’t have my nostalgia crisis: simply, this frenzy HAS to stop, we are losing our baring! Is not progress, is madness. We created a monster, sub consequently, we became “airports addicted neurotics”! At the end of the day, nothing much is accomplished: we got home or meetings exhausted, with jet lag!

August 05 2011 at 1:35 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply