Newark: America's Most Delayed Airport (UPDATE, VIDEO)
Newark's Liberty International Airport may just be the worst for travelers in America.
According to a new Wall Street Journal survey, 40 of the 100 most-delayed flights in America either depart from or arrive at the New Jersey hub.
Five of the top ten most frequently delayed flights originate or terminate at Newark and the top two most delayed flights are both Delta routes to Atlanta from the Brick City.
The Journal concludes that Newark's problem is two-fold: Many of the planes travel through the airport after experiencing delays in Washington D.C, and the airspace in the New York City area is the most crowded in the country.
WATCH the treatment below:
The Federal Aviation Administration has been redesigning air traffic pathways near the Big Apple for several years and was planning to implement a new system next year, a project that could face delays if the FAA shutdown continues.
In the meantime, travelers moving through Newark can think of the delays as an excuse to wander around the airport with the second worst facilities in America. Liberty International had lower satisfaction scores than only New York's LaGuardia in a J.D. Power and Associates study published last year.
The airports with the highest number of frequently delayed flights are (in order of likeliness travelers will end up sitting in uncomfortable seats sadly eating Cinnabons):
1) Newark's Liberty International
2) Chicago's O'Hare International
3) Boston's Logan International
4) New York's LaGuardia International
5) Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International
6) Miami International
7) Minneapolis-St. Paul International
8) New York's JFK International
9) Los Angeles International
10) Northwest Arkansas Regional
- Best Food Along America's Highways [AOL Travel]
- Shark Week: A Rigorous and Couchless Itinerary [AOL Travel]
- A Whirlwind Tour of Walt Disney World [Gadling]
- Eight Bed and Breakfasts With the Best Fixings [The Daily Meal]
- 16 Best Summer Attractions for Families [Budget Travel]
- How to Beat the Post-Travel Blues [Lonely Planet]
Find the best offers to compare and save money.
Search for Deals
May 24th 2013 6:00PM
May 24th 2013 5:00PM
May 24th 2013 4:00PM
May 24th 2013 2:30PM
- Adventure Travel
- Air Travel
- Arts & Culture
- Best Of
- Food + Drink
- Historic Sites
- Real Life Stories
- Road Trips
- Spring Break
- Ski Vacations
- Spa & Wellness
- Tips & Tricks
- Weekend Getaways