David Cameron Goes Incognito Over Coffee With Wife Samantha On Tuscan Holiday (UPDATE)

Posted Aug 8th 2011 08:00 AMUpdated Aug 8th 2011 08:27 AM

UPDATE, 8/8: David Cameron has returned to the now-famous cafe, and this time, left a big tip.

Francesa Ariana, perhaps Montevarchi's most famous waitress, told the Daily Telegraph that the prime minister returned to the cafe on Sunday with his daughter and ordered a beer and a soft drink. Ariana also noted that Cameron, who posed for pictures with her, left a generous tip this time.

"He came back to look for me. It was such a nice surprise for me to see him," she said. "He knew I had made a mistake and he wanted to tell me not to worry because I did not recognize him. I never imagined he would come back. He is really lovely."

Previously: David Cameron, on a two-week holiday with his family in Tuscany, was forced to schlep his own cappuccino to his table on Sunday when a busy barista gave the head of state the brush off.

Francesa Ariana, the barmaid at Dolcenegro who served Cameron and his wife Samantha, told local papers that she didn't know who they were.

Ariana was swamped with customers on Sunday when Cameron ordered two cappuccinos and a coffee, the Associated Press reports.

After Ariani told England's most powerful man to carry his beverages to his table, Cameron didn't leave a tip, which is very normal and even customary in Europe.

The waitress, seemingly mortified that she did not recognize Cameron, told reporters that the lack of tip was "fair enough...but still he could have left the odd coins," Sky News reports.

Ariana added, "I'm so embarrassed. I didn't know it was the British Prime Minister. I'm so sorry if I appeared rude--I didn't mean to be, it's just that I was on my own and really busy."

The Camerons are on holiday at a 300-year-old, 10,000 pound-per-week villa with two other families. According to the Daily Mail, the home is a 15-bedroom home on the Petrolo wine estate near Bucine, that comes equipped with a private garden, swimming pool, billiards room and tennis court. The home is a favorite of chef Jamie Oliver.

Filed Under: News, Holidays

Hi,Duk!

And all paid for, tips included, by the people of Great Brittan

August 08 2011 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alfredbevilac

who cares?

August 08 2011 at 4:57 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
artbill

if i get my order at the counter and carry my order to table no you are not goung to get a tip from me now if you come by table and check on me and offer refill then you get a tip!!!

August 08 2011 at 3:10 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Anthony

Um who cares? All I read the article for was to see how much of a tip he left, I was not even aware this had happened because it is not important at all. Were fighting a war with cartels and extremists and this is what you guys care about? pitiful

August 08 2011 at 2:44 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
girlygirl

really gmadness? do your research....

August 08 2011 at 1:51 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
gmaadness

Rawbdawwgg--Obama hasn't worked an honest job in his life either.

August 01 2011 at 10:37 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
rawbdawwgg

There is a big difference between David Cameron and President Obama. Many people the world over would not recognize David Cameron, whereas President Obama would likely be recognized in most places across the world. Additionally, David Cameron is not exactly "simplistic" in the way he has lived his life. He has inherited a huge fortune over generations and has rarely worked an honest job in his entire life. Stories abound about his tendency as a college student to trash pubs with his wealthy fraternity brothers and toss pounds at the owners after breaking mirrors and causing damage to the establishments which he and his fraternity brothers frequented. President Obama, by comparison, is a self-made man who was paying off his student loans as recently as 5 years ago. President Obama further has to contend with a conservative right wing element of America who believe it is appropriate to stand outside of town hall meetings carrying guns in veiled threats towards his safety. He faces unprecedented threats to his life that no other President has had to endure simply because of the color of his skin. The posts on here simply fail to look critically at the huge difference between America's first African-American President and the vitriol the color of his skin has created for an entrenched and bigoted small but vocal segment of America that wants nothing more then to destroy him due to their own prejudice. Obama receives on average 30 death threats a day, which is a 400% increase over the threats to George W. Bush. I wish people would have more critical thinking and do some research before they post their opinions!

August 01 2011 at 7:45 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
moller4444

She says it was fair that he didn't leave a tip....but he could have left the odd coin....Wouldn't that then be a tip?

August 01 2011 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to moller4444's comment
Glenn

The odd coin is an insult to the wait person, kind of like leaving a penny!!!

August 08 2011 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carmicone

One more thing: The Camerons always appear to really like each other — isn't that wonderful and rare!!

August 01 2011 at 4:15 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
masterwebber

Why should it matter? He is just any other customer. Why should he, or any celebrity, be treated with special treatment?

August 01 2011 at 4:13 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply