TSA Agents Confiscate Pregnant Woman's Insulin

Posted Aug 5th 2011 04:00 PM

TSA Agents Confiscate Pregnant Woman's Insulin

ABC 7

TSA agents confiscated a pregnant woman's insulin at Denver International Airport, prompting her and her husband to file a formal complaint with the agency, reports ABC 7 News.

The woman, who asked to remain nameless, was headed to Phoenix for her baby shower on Thursday when she was stopped by airport security.

"He's like, 'Well, you're a risk.' I'm like, 'Excuse me?' And he's like, 'This is a risk ... I can't tell you why again. But this is at risk for explosives,'" she told ABC 7 – this despite the fact she had a doctor's note and had correctly labeled the medication.

She was, however, able to get through security with a bottle of nail polish, hair spray bottles and syringes.

Her husband, Aaron Nieman, talked to ABC 7 and said, "It made me feel upset and made me feel somewhat helpless."

The unnamed woman has since arranged for additional insulin to be delivered to her in Arizona.

The TSA would not comment on this specific case.

According to the TSA website, passengers "may bring all prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes."

There is no limit on the amount of these materials that may be carried on, but quantities over three ounces must be declared to a TSA official. Additionally, insulin is specifically listed on the website as being allowed through security.

The TSA has been in hot water lately for its handling of passengers with medical concerns. In July, TSA agents soaked a man in his own urine – for the second time. And, in June, screeners forced a 95-year-old woman to remove her adult diaper.

Emily

Do you people really think TSA agents want to touch any of you smelly and rude travelers? They do not make minimum wage and have a long and thorough hiring process. If you people were smart like you think you are you would know working with the public is tough. most of you probably do it or have quit because of people just like you. Talk about stupidity and ignorance. You dont know whats good for you. All you can think about is youselves. None of you people know the exact story about the insulin and how it was packaged you just assume it was correctly declared. Ignorance!

August 19 2011 at 3:40 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Emily's comment
cthomas

You are probably right but criticism goes with the job. TSA agents need to respect people who may have a personal hatred towards them. Just because they're doing their job in accordance with the way they're trained does not mean the general public should have any respect for them.

August 21 2011 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jfbland59

I have braces on my legs. I had the opportunity in July of having the full body scan. I was told I could do it with my braces on. Well, I passed the full body scan, then I was told to remove my belt, asked if I wanted to go to a private screening room I said why. Then just as I have been for the last 9 years, I was patted down, my braces were dusted down for chemical residue, my hands were dusted down, the airport supplied wheel chair was dusted down, and for the grand finale, I was told to open up my pants so they could look down them. Again I was asked if I wanted to go to a private room. I said heck no, I want everyone at Dulles airport to see how a middle aged handicapped man is treated, full body scan, complete dusting of braces, shoes and hands, full body pat down and a look down my pants. Thus I believe the TSA earned their acronym THOUSANDS STANDING AROUND. And the security taxes we pay for this service are ridiculous. Welcome to our world.

August 11 2011 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonas Rolyn

ABSOLUTELY REVOLTING! The US is becoming like Nazi Germany. The abuse and indignities reported about our TSA is disgusting. This must END! Enough is enough!

August 11 2011 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie

This is complete bullshit. Anyone who is treated like this should be contacting a lawyer, ASAP. Each agent who goes on a senseless power trip should be fired and/or fined for this inexcusable behavior.

August 08 2011 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred Jones

Aren't these idiots EVER going to get it right?

August 08 2011 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doo doo

what do you expect for minimum wage? politiians make hundreds of thousands a year and they can't even balance a budget. the corruption in the US is starting to smell like mexico. what is mexico's S&P rating again?

August 07 2011 at 3:43 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
dylanscoutathjk

well it is time for more retrainst.. but sum of yall will be the first to line up at the lawsuit line if a cherished loved one is blown from the sky!!!

August 07 2011 at 2:17 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
classshows

IT's hard to believe that only 1600 posts are here......
says a lot about why things are the way they are.
The bottom line is STOP FLYING UNLESS YOU HAVE NO CHOICE.

August 06 2011 at 7:05 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
M

Absolutely ridiculous. The woman was obviously in need of a life sustaining medication. INSULIN IS NOT OPTIONAL FOR INSULIN DEPENDENT DIABETICS. On top of that, she was PREGNANT. Not only did the TSA endanger HER life, they willfully endangered her unborn child's. In the good old USA, that's what we refer to as a LAWSUIT.

August 06 2011 at 6:23 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Namaste

These Nazis have to go. Why is this being allowed ? People, come on this is how it started in Germany in 1939. WAKE UP-GET UP GET MAD

August 06 2011 at 5:33 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply