Myrtle Rose, Chicago Grandmother Pilot, Gets Surprise Visit from F-16s
Not knowing that the sprightly young head of state was in town to celebrate his 50th birthday, Ms. Rose headed out on a leisurely afternoon flight without a radio before the jets suddenly – and loudly – materialized next to her and steered her back toward Mill Rose Farm Airport.
A spokesman for the North American Aerospace Defense Command told the AP that Ms. Rose was slightly shaken by the incident, saying: "Surprised was probably the right term."
Also shaken were the residents of the quiet town of South Barrington, who are somewhat unaccustomed to looking up and seeing fighter jets.
- Best Food Along America's Highways [AOL Travel]
- Shark Week: A Rigorous and Couchless Itinerary [AOL Travel]
- A Whirlwind Tour of Walt Disney World [Gadling]
- Eight Bed and Breakfasts With the Best Fixings [The Daily Meal]
- 16 Best Summer Attractions for Families [Budget Travel]
- How to Beat the Post-Travel Blues [Lonely Planet]
Add a Comment
Find the best offers to compare and save money.
Search for Deals
Dec 11th 2013 4:54PM
Dec 6th 2013 2:30PM
Dec 5th 2013 11:29AM
- Adventure Travel
- Air Travel
- Arts & Culture
- Best Of
- Food + Drink
- Historic Sites
- Road Trips
- Spring Break
- Ski Vacations
- Spa & Wellness
- Tips & Tricks
- Weekend Getaways