Myrtle Rose, Chicago Grandmother Pilot, Gets Surprise Visit from F-16s
Posted Aug 5th 2011 09:30 AMUpdated Aug 5th 2011 01:22 PM
Not knowing that the sprightly young head of state was in town to celebrate his 50th birthday, Ms. Rose headed out on a leisurely afternoon flight without a radio before the jets suddenly – and loudly – materialized next to her and steered her back toward Mill Rose Farm Airport.
A spokesman for the North American Aerospace Defense Command told the AP that Ms. Rose was slightly shaken by the incident, saying: "Surprised was probably the right term."
Also shaken were the residents of the quiet town of South Barrington, who are somewhat unaccustomed to looking up and seeing fighter jets.
More Articles You Might Like
- Best Food Along America's Highways [AOL Travel]
- Shark Week: A Rigorous and Couchless Itinerary [AOL Travel]
- A Whirlwind Tour of Walt Disney World [Gadling]
- Eight Bed and Breakfasts With the Best Fixings [The Daily Meal]
- 16 Best Summer Attractions for Families [Budget Travel]
- How to Beat the Post-Travel Blues [Lonely Planet]
Add a Comment
Find the best offers to compare and save money.
Search for Deals
- Adventure Travel
- Air Travel
- Arts & Culture
- Best Of
- Food + Drink
- Historic Sites
- Road Trips
- Spring Break
- Ski Vacations
- Spa & Wellness
- Tips & Tricks
- Weekend Getaways