Europe's Most Regal Castles (PHOTOS)

by Lonely Planet Subscribe to Lonely Planet's posts Posted Aug 4th 2011 09:00 AM

A A A

If the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton taught us anything, it's that we're obsessed with all things royalty.

Fear not, princes and princesses in waiting. Here are 10 castles around Europe that are the most in line with all our most extreme fairy tales. From a rather run-down looking establishment in Romania to a right regal moment in Scotland, these castles will be sure to sate any appetite.

Not convinced? Check out this list of 13 other royal homes around the world, not to mention the world's coolest castle hotels.

Adapted from an article courtesy of Lonely Planet.

her

Sandy

Same old, same old. Why is that anglo travel sites NEVER show one of the best of them all? Too lazy to work a bit?

Hochosterwitz in the South of Austria (Hoch=high Oster=easterly Witz=view) beats almost all of them.
or
or

August 11 2011 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marnixg

I agree with Laxsmi,...just take a pic of Schloss Hohenzollern in Germany's Baden-Wuertemberg,...it puts them all to shame,.......

August 08 2011 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laxsmi de Potrero

aol is hopelessly clueless. spain, italy, england, russia, france have hundreds of palaces more regal than these (except for neuschwanstein). china, japan, india boast many many more.

i no longer believe that aol has any integrity when it comes to these lists. pure lazy reporting and usually very limited in the world view.

August 08 2011 at 1:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ohringen

Ludwig was considered mad because he was gay. He loved men. He was married briefly for a few days but it turned out he loved men and not women, lol. His bride left untouched, lol. They found him and his gay lover drowned in the lake behind the castle. They killed him because no one wanted a gay king back then.

August 04 2011 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sandyinclaims

I visited Neuschwanstein in October, 2001. We rode to the castle in a horse drawn carriage on a damp morning. The driver placed a blanket over my legs to keep me warm. Inside the castle was breathtaking. Some of the rooms still had furniture in them and the balconys were great for picture taking. The staircase taking you to the top was only about 20 inches wide and you had to go up sideways. Being October inside was cold and musty but still made me feel like a princess looking for her shining knight. This was the highlight to my trip to Germany. That and the 800 year old castle I spent the night in.

August 04 2011 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ANTON

What the hey, why did it post me three times? Is AOL on crack? I only hit submit once and my message disappeared and then I see it pop up three times........

August 04 2011 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ANTON

I have a booklet that they give you when you visit King Ludwig's castle, one of his pieces of furnature took twelve years to carve by hand made out of wood. Can you imagine working for twelve years on a bed or dresser? It was really amazing how much detail went into everything. I think I remember they found him dead floating in a river or something.

August 04 2011 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ANTON

August 04 2011 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
garkrysa

this is NOT a Malbork Castle ! do more resarch before you put pictures out!!!

August 04 2011 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hduque8843

I guess Versalles Palace does not exist and some others are just paintings on the wall.

August 04 2011 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply