Unruly Child and Suspicious Smoke Smell Twice Delay Allegiant Air Flight

Posted Aug 1st 2011 08:45 AMUpdated Aug 1st 2011 08:46 AM

Silenus81/Flickr

A child running wild forced an Allegiant Air plane to return to its gate prior to takeoff Saturday afternoon after it had already been delayed due to a smoky smell.

The woes of the Knoxville, Tennessee-bound flight began Saturday morning when it was forced to return to the Orlando Sanford International Airport because someone on board smelled smoke.

It turns out there were no visible signs of smoke, but firefighters were deployed as a precaution.

The passengers were then transferred to another aircraft for an afternoon flight to Knoxville when the trouble continued.

As the plane was preparing to take off, a toddler, who refused to sit in its seat, started running around the plane, airline spokeswoman Kristine Shattuck-Cooper told the Orlando Sentinel. The pilot was forced to return to the gate.

The child and its parents were removed from the flight and the passengers were finally able to make it to their destination.

Perhaps it is for reasons such as this that airlines are considering child-free flights, or adult-only sections. Malaysia Airlines has banned infants in first-class on some of its jets, with plans to expand that ban.

And, carriers like British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Emirates are being urged to consider child-free zones and even child-free flights.

Filed Under: News, Air Travel

Marie

I do not believe in physical punishment. If you hit your child do not be surprised when they hit you back when they grow up. Hitting someone you love to show them you love them has always been confusing to me. Never hit my children but did punish them. They are happy, grown, mature adults with children of their own who "punish" their children the same way. Time out is not a bad thing. Much better then hitting someone,. If your husband or wife does something you do not like do you hit them? Just wondering.

August 02 2011 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marie

Before I took my children anywhere in public I made sure they were socialized. Meaning, they knew what was expected of them when we went out to eat, the movies, in the homes of others. Bad behavior was met with immediate removal from the fun activity and sent right to their room. No tv, computer, video games. And to avoid other family members from having to suffer not enjoying the fun time, a baby sitter was paid to sit with the offending child till we came home. It did not take long for any child or grand child to get the point. Now we are often complimented on the good behavior of our children. Respect for others is the key.

August 02 2011 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stevecrawfordtx

When I was growing up I learn to and had to respect anyone grown. Any neighbor could chastise, punish or spank me when I was very young. The spanking ceased as I grew older however. I got whipping (not spanking) by my parents and grandmother. I didn't grow up hating my parents or killing birds or other gruesome deeds. If the teacher sent home a note because of my bad behavior in school I received spanking or punishment. It was a punishment to have to stay in the house. I spanked (not whippings) all my 3 children and they received punishment when they were bad. They would not run around supermarkets or any other stores. Also, a grownup only had to give you the "EYE" and you ceased whatever you were doing wrong. I do this sometime when I see a brat acting up in public. My children were never a embarrassment in public or in church. Sometime you have to put a switch on their legs or butt. And to hell with that crap of "time out"

August 01 2011 at 8:39 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
vickie lynn

What kind of parents can not control a toddler on an airplane???? Ive always been very conscientious about the behavior of my children when they were young and we were in public, anywhere. Of course, I never really had to worry about it too much, because I actually took the time and effort that it takes to put into trying to raise a child to be well mannered and not be unruly! I never wanted to be that person that got embarressed by the antics of their unruly children. And I accomplished this without having to resort to spankings or harsh punishments. Children will typically learn what they live. Extend and show courteous and well mannered behavior to and in front of them from their start and chances are, they will become children who are well mannered and courteous. Let them be in control and do as they wish, and then when you have to be in public, you will find yourself getting kicked off of airplanes.....lol

August 01 2011 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rattpoison55

FOR THE PEOPLE WHO CALLED ME HITLER ON HERE, I DID NOT SAY TO HANDLE IT THE WAY THE NAZIS DID. WHAT THEY DID WAS THE WORST IN HUMAN HISTORY. WE'RE LOOKING FOR CURES FOR CANCER AND OTHER THINGS, RIGHT? WHY NOT, INSTEAD OF JUST LOOKING FOR CURES, ISOLATE THE GENES THAT CAUSE DISORDERS AND DEFECTS, AND ALLOW THEM TO DIE OUT COMPLETELY, AND ERADICATE THEM FROM HUMAN DNA. I DID NOT SAY PUT EVERYONE WHO IS NOT PERFECT IN A CONCENTRATION CAMP AND GAS THEM. IF THAT WERE THE CASE, I WOULD BE A CORPSE IN A PIT AS WELL. MARCH OF DIMES IS TRYING TO PREVENT BIRTH DEFECTS; ARE THEY NAZIS? HOW IS ERADICATING FAULTY DNA TO HAVE HEALTHIER PEOPLE A BAD THING?

August 01 2011 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rattpoison55's comment
Carol Marie

How is "eradicating faulty DNA" a bad thing? Well, first of all, how do you want to go about this eradication? Sterilize everybody who isn't perfect, lest they pass their flaws on to their children? That's eugenics, and it's EXACTLY what Hitler was about.

Secondly, who gets to define "faulty?" Should we sterilize all violent schizophrenics, or only those who have actually committed murder? What about people addicted to drugs? They're such a drag on society. And diabetics, too, they account for more than their share of the healthcare cost in this country. What about fat people? If they're allowed to procreate, their children will be fat too, and again, it costs money to take care of these unhealthy people.

And y'know, ugly people have such a hard time in society -- they have trouble getting jobs, they're very rarely successful... we'd be doing a service, really, by sterilizing ugly people. The children they would have had would thank us, if they were here.

Do you get it now?

August 07 2011 at 12:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sstuczynsk

Glad airlines are considering child free zones. I had a trip back from Hawaii and booked first clas to get dome sleep only to have a woman with a child sit in back of me. this kid banged on the seat, cried and made noise all the way form Honolulu to LA. So much for sleep.

August 01 2011 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oreo cookies

fire all your customers as a business model

August 01 2011 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia

Did I understand this to say the( PARENTS) as in two grown adults who can not or refuse to discipline one child. You could beat his a$$ or a good pinch behind the arm works wonders. Esspecially when accompanied with a finger in their face telling them" DO NOT OPEN YOUR MOUTH TO CRY" or you will get another pinch. Never had a problem with my kids or grankids . And they NEVER had to be spanked.

August 01 2011 at 6:22 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Patricia's comment
JoJo

pinching....really??? NOT!

August 01 2011 at 7:04 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
trinitymere13

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

August 01 2011 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

I have had my share of spoiled children on flights. My last flight I has kids all around me. I had a mom with 2 little ones behind me. first time on Jet Blue. the children behind me never moved. I never heard a pep out of them. the other children on flight were quite as well. I spoke to the Mom how well behaved her children were. She said she brought stuff for them to do and the kids watched the tv the who time. I love the fact of spoiled kids when they turn 12 and they are out of control.

August 01 2011 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply