Stephen Spielberg Ticks off Italian Vacationers, Gets the Cops Called

Posted Jul 26th 2011 09:00 AMUpdated Jul 26th 2011 03:11 PM

bauergriffinonline.com

Director Stephen Spielberg angered Italian beachgoers in La Maddalena by steering his speedboat too close to shore, prompting a call to the Italian coastguard.

Spielberg was vacationing on his multimillion dollar yacht, the Seven Seas, with actress Gwyneth Paltrow when the pair took a trip in his speedboat. However, regulations forbid such craft from coming within 300 meters (about 984 feet) of the shore, reports the Daily Mail.

It seems the noise from the approaching boat was too much to bear, so sunbathers ratted him out.

When approached by authorities, Spielberg, who was signing autographs for vacationers, owned up to his mistake. 'I'm sorry. I'm Steven Spielberg. I didn't know the rules. It's only right I pay,' the director said, according to Daily Mail.

Spielberg offered to pay on the spot, but the official was not allowed to take money. The next day Spielberg paid the 172 euro ($249) fine, being sure to fax proof of payment to coastguard HQ.

Steven Spielberg Biography
Filed Under: News, Celebrity

walkingwolf

I heard he was running from the Tea Party..they threatened to board his ship and throw everyone overboard in protest..

July 26 2011 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fpfininc

their Coast Guard should have sunk the damn ship, nothing personal to him, it's the ship's fault . bet no other ships would be so assine and condecending to "regular" people.

July 26 2011 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
abcborderline1

How many that hate the Rich, to to see his and Paltrows movies? How much energy does the Yacht and Speed boat, use?

July 26 2011 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anitamara1

Melissag....Gwenyth is his godchild

July 26 2011 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
melissag57

Steven Spielberg is a mensch. No other celebrity would right away say they were wrong and offer to pay the fine upfront. My question, though, is, what was he doing with Gwenyth Paltrow, and not his wife and kids?

July 26 2011 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Truwriter

All of you wierd liberal types who do your kneejerk rich fat old Republican rants should take a look at Spielberg's yacht. Its bigger than many Coast Guard vessels. Talk about a bloated pig what about this liberal? How green is he? What can we do about these rich people and their yachts. Nothing if they contribute to the President's campaign funds.

July 26 2011 at 7:33 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Truwriter's comment
bizbee260

Geeze, shut up. You know, I'd suggest you see a psychiatrist for your self esteem and paranoia issues.

July 26 2011 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
goodmansbooks

"Liberal types"...doing "Republican rants"...? Your ignorance is showing.

July 26 2011 at 8:11 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Genovese family

Meeshaweb: As far as Steve S. giving his money to the big O. Great its a free country with no regulation how we waste our money. As far as the Republicn distroing our country NO, I DON'T THINK SO
Rogstratman: i agree with you 1000%. with the additional statement that he promoted more off shore drilling during his campange. Even with the BP accident in consideration, how about punchng some holes in Alaska.
And for the boat thing in Italy, all I can say is must been a slow news day.

July 26 2011 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rogspen

IT SEEMS WE CANNOT SEPARATE REASON FROM POLITICAL ALLIANCES.........WHAT RIGHT IS RIGHT NO MATTER WHAT PARTY YOU BELONG TO.....

July 26 2011 at 7:21 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rogspen's comment
texmexfm

Run that by me again, I think I"m missing something. But if sheer reason and common sense is involved in this country, then I have no faith in the ability of a Liberal Dem to make a decision that would be beneficial to anyone, including themselves. I have a guy that I actually call friend even though he is a LIberal Democrat, BUT, I witnessed something during this last election in Tucson where Raul Grijalva, worthless individual that does not need to be in politics, was re-elected even after he boycotted this state and cost it millions. I commented to Rick, "how the hell did this guy get reelected after what he did?" his response was, "well I voted for him!" I said, 'so if he got up there and said point blank, my goal is to destroy Arizona, you would vote for him?" and this fool said "yes, he's democrat". Oh My God, the pinnacle of stupidity and ignorance. Every time I think of that my blood just boils.

July 26 2011 at 7:36 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
patyrow

Believe the comment is bassackards, about the ruination of the country

July 26 2011 at 7:09 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
kastmaster2105

Look into my eye and see if I give a SH--! Oh.........Steven who?

July 26 2011 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to kastmaster2105's comment
gerbersmail

Into your "eye"? What are you? A Cyclops?

July 26 2011 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bizbee260

Yet you saw the lead in, switched to the story, presumably read it, and then felt compelled to make you're ignorant comment. Why is that? Self esteem problems?

July 26 2011 at 7:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply