Thomas Sawyer, Cancer Survivor, Gets Soaked By His Own Urine Again By TSA

Posted Jul 25th 2011 01:25 PMUpdated Jul 26th 2011 11:40 AM

NBC

A former bladder cancer patient was soaked in own urine for the second time earlier this month when his urostomy bag was dislodged by a TSA agent.

When the exact same thing happened to Thomas Sawyer in November, a large outcry on the internet forced TSA administrator John Pistole to issue a personal apology.

Sawyer said he warned agents to be careful of his urostomy bag while at the Detroit Metro Airport en route to Orlando on July 14th, and that both of them handled him roughly. According to the Detroit Free Press, during the latest incident, Sawyer was not asked if he would like to be patted down privately.

Sawyer told the paper that following last year's incident, "I thought that I had really made a difference for people flying with urostomies, I really did. I'm angry this time. They can't be training them properly."

In November, Sawyer recounted his conversation with Pistole to local TV station WILX: "I told him I'm not an angry person, I'm a decent, good American citizen. I know why we have to have these patdowns, but there has to be training and the training just isn't there. I really can't believe that the Detroit TSA agent was the only untrained agent who didn't know what the word urostomy meant."

In June, the adult diaper of a cancer-striken, 95-year old woman was forcibly removed during a TSA search at a Florida airport.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

TSA Under Fire for Asking Elderly Woman to Remove Diaper

Filed Under: Air Travel, News

ocbmxdude

I hope super dad doesn't help his children with homework...

August 07 2011 at 10:19 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sdsuperdad

I posted a comment that received several negative reply's.......instead of commenting back individually to each post, I will solidify my original comment and support my opinion. First of all my original retort was sparked by all the TSA bashing. I cant comprehend any sane person that is about to board a bound aircraft with complete strangers, and traveling at extreme speed and height having a problem with reasonable measures of precaution being taken. We do not live in Pleasant-ville? there are sick people out there with malicious intentions. When I board an airplane with my family, I put the my entire faith in god that TSA will do its job correctly and check every single passenger with thoroughness and exact practice..........If you CAN"T understand my point of view, maybe the marijuana you're smoking is clouding your judgment. MY FAMILY'S SAFETY IS SECOND TO YOUR RIGHTS, DON'T LIKE IT? HAVE A NICE WALK!!!

August 07 2011 at 1:25 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
x

WHO OWNS THE AIRPORTS ANYWAY? I'm sure the good old owners would never allow such conduct to take place. Sexual Assault is no joke.

August 06 2011 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
x

why do you call the T.S.A. assults patdowns for? Forget frisks too, none in the Nation(U.S.A.) ever included private parts, that is, until the T.S.A. came along, but then who allows them to touch, rub, your gentials? YOU DO. Well, that's up to you but why do you sacrific your children? How awful, they'll grow up depressed, anxious, & angry. But that's herd mentality for you

August 06 2011 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Salve Tutti!

I too, cannot believe that this senior citizen has, 2 times, found the only 2 idiots within the TSA who do not know how to handle not only the elderly, but those with special medical needs. I cannot help but think that the TSA has to give its agents more training, medical training as well as sensitivity training. Just the other day, in Rome, Italy, I was patted down, in a wheel chair, and the agent who did it was so kind, gentle and apologetic...it was obvious he felt that he was invading my space and said as much (fortunately I speak Italian) as I had to tell him that all was well. Upon leaving the US from Philly, to Italy, last year, there was a group of elderly German women in front of me waiting to get through security. They did not speak English, beyond the basic "where is the bathroom" and "how much"......please remove your shoes and socks and place them in the plastic gray containers on the moving conveyor....! Of course, in the US, besides for some, Spanish, no other languages are spoken. I finally intervened and was yelled at for doing so, as I asked the women if any spoke Italian, and if not, French......! Finally after the women were having their shoes and other items of clothing removed, I yelled back at the TSA agent and asked for his name and then began to translate for these women. They were lovely. The TSA agent, was not. Some are nice, understanding, etc...but the majority, man, it is something out of a horror film. Yes, we all know why they are doing what they are doing, but they over do it. Power it something that gets in their system and then people are offended, physically hurt, soiled, humiliated. I realize that college grads will not go for these jobs (and a college degree does not guarantee kindness.....but it might make a difference when it comes to understanding foreign languages), but one does not need to have a BA in order to be kind..to not be abusive....to try to understand what it must be like for some travelers who have special needs. We need kind and polylingual agents. Sensitive ones. Why this cannot exist, is beyond me. I have never been ill treated outside the US so here is one instance where we can learn from our friends abroad, on how to treat people with a civil disposition. I hope this man, and the woman who was deprived of her diaper..etc....take it to the courts so it does not happen to anyone else. We have to do better, and in this case, we have every capability to do so.

August 06 2011 at 9:49 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
staceyberland

I fail to see the payoff in America showing the world, for safety reasons, what absolute mayheim we cultivate...this isn't the first time for this gentlemen and won't be the last for others.....if the TSA wants to appear as anything other than ridiculous, to the point of showing the same dedication as the NAZI's did, training is the understatement of the century........I think the TSA is an underadministrated gang of people out of control.....the mental hospitals are full of many who would fit the bill

August 06 2011 at 8:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rickhddp

This is the result of hiring under educated people with no formal training, giving them a whistle and a plastic badge and telling them they are in charge... Incapable of normal reasoning, common sense and devoid of anything remoting resembling intelligent. A collossal waste of tax dollars on some of society's most embarrassing people... is it any wonder the rest of the world laughs at the USA? when you have these people on the front lines...why is this not a surprise? if anyone has ANY news about these morons having thwarted some terrorist plot, it would sure be nice to hear about. They otherwise are at least a nuisance and at worst invasive humiliating stupid people.

August 06 2011 at 7:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
uacrack

they step over the line but i dont want to sit next to an adult who crapped himself or pissed himself. They hace bathrooms at airpots, go cleen your bag and put on a new adult diaper

August 06 2011 at 7:45 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Writers Link

Some TSA agents have an over-rated sense of their own importance with the auhtority they've been given without enough training. I've had a few slightly negative experiences, but most are positive. I've been radomly selected for a pat-down and carryon check when coming back into the country and I've never had a problem. They even explained what the disk is used for on the inner perimeter of my luggage. Although, I always have a mico-recorder visible for the mega problems I read about, I did ask only one in- flight attendant if she'd mind repeating her rude remark as I clicked it on. She whistled a completely different tune. An inexpensive gadget can be beneficial with the growing problems with airline employees; doubtlessly, there are equally rude passengers but this story is an outrage.

August 06 2011 at 6:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katrina

drst4scss.. you need to be shot. Good job at becoming exactly what you're against.

Discrimination against an entire country/race for the actions of only a few men. You're absolutely disgusting. Take a look in the mirror before you spout off at the mouth. Look who's talking with the ends justifying the means.

August 06 2011 at 6:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply