11 Bizarre and Mysterious Historical Sites (PHOTOS)

by AOL Travel Staff Subscribe to AOL Travel Staff's posts Posted Jul 19th 2011 09:00 AM

A A A

Alien conspiracies, unexplained ancient objects and mysterious disappearances; there's no need to look to fiction for your fix of mystery when real life has it all.

We may have figured out the play by play of some of the greatest battles of all time and unearthed the most mundane details of famous leaders' lives, but there are still some facts that remain tantalizingly out of reach.

From the slightly strange to the downright baffling, our friends at history travel website Historvius are taking us on a tour of some of the best mysteries of times gone by and the places to visit to immerse yourself in them.

Filed Under: Historic Sites

Dave

Wait a minute! While it is true that bones were found in the Tower (in 1674), there is absolutely no proof that these bones belonged to the missing princes. So far as I know, no one has done a DNA analysis on the bones or the remains of their parents, Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville. Unless the bones came with a clip that said "Hi, I'm Edward V", how would anyone know?

July 22 2011 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
onekilluminata

this is 3rd grade geography crap

July 21 2011 at 3:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iplatotle

jrock, I agree this is garbage. I thought something new was going to be presented. But Shakespeare wrote of this theory, long ago. However, jrock, I don't believe this is something the Huffington Post would publish. Now, AOL, yes. They've had articles like this forever. Odd you never noticed that. But, regardless, good luck to you in your travels. We'll miss your snarling, I'm sure.

July 21 2011 at 3:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
linda ann

PLEASE READ " THE SUN IN SPLENDOR" THAT IS THE BEST BOOK ABOUT THE LIFE OF RICHARD III AND HIS LIFE. THIS IS THE ONLY ONE WHICH SPEAKS THE TRUE.

July 20 2011 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jrock23123

I will soon cancel AOL due to this Huffington Post garbage.

July 20 2011 at 9:28 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
alfredschrader

I investigated a sighting in Aurantia. Found nothing. About a year later, something reflected a light in my face
from the general direction of Aurantia. I looked at the sky, but saw nothing. A couple minutes later I looked there again, and there it was. Silver gray metalic. Hung there like it was on a hook. "They" obviously had come looking for me. And they waited a year. I glanced around for more and when I looked back, it was gone. It left so fast, I couldn't see it go. It didn't make a sonic boom when it left. I'd say it did 200 to 300 thousand miles an hour. I don't investigate ufos anymore, and I don't even drive through Aurantia....Al-

July 20 2011 at 8:30 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Connie

I read some time ago that two skeletons the same age as the princes were found beneath some stone stairs that were being rebuilt in the Tower.

July 20 2011 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mopsy1

It's too bad the article was not better prepared. The little princes suspected of being murdered by their uncle and "never seen again", were found a few years ago when some repairs were being made, their remains burried under a staircase.

July 20 2011 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
penny

amen brother

July 20 2011 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jrberdo2

Everything was working just fine before Huffington...Maybe AOL ought to rethink this one again and get rid of Huffington.. Just my opinion and I dislike trying to open anything from huffington

July 20 2011 at 2:45 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jrberdo2's comment
Anne Boleyns Crown

I have noticed how slow news articles now load at home. I HATE "HuffPost" and if I want to read something and I click on it and discover it's coming through them, I will cancel it and find it to read somewhere else. My computer has slowed down SO much, and the only 2 things that have changed are the dreaded HuffPost and the fact that every time I sign off, I get a pop up from AOL saying they can "speed up my pc"....for a PRICE. Coincidence? Doubt it.

July 20 2011 at 6:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply