America's Best Boardwalks Named By National Geographic (PHOTOS)

by AOL Travel Staff Subscribe to AOL Travel Staff's posts Posted Jul 14th 2011 02:00 PM

A A A

National Geographic released their top 10 list of the nation's best boardwalks on Wednesday.

The choices read as a who's who (or what's what, if you will) of the country's amusement and recreation areas.

Atlantic City, not surprisingly, was named in the number one spot. It was called "the grandfather of boardwalks" by the magazine. The Associated Press notes that the boardwalk was built in 1870 as a way to keep the sand from beachgoers bodies from entering oceanfront hotels.

Check out the remaining nine below. What missed the cut and should have made it? Leave it in comments.

Filed Under: News, Best Of

Safiyyah

Great boardwalks one of the best Wildwood!!!

July 21 2011 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
territokar

There are better boardwalks than these!!! Ocean City, New Jersey should definitely be on the list.

July 20 2011 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Loretta

nice

July 20 2011 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan

gmgpjandon..Ft. Monmouth in 1950...I lived in NJ and born and rised until 1956. I worked at Ft. Monmouth (SCEL) and worked at Evans Signal Lab. I know about Belmar...we used to eat lunch there. Married 1950 and enjoyed Asbury Park/Neptune and Long Branch when I was a kid my brother and I would ride the bus (my father drove) to Asbury Park and stay all day. What fun it was back in the 40s and 50s.

July 20 2011 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

Obviously, those who commented have not seen the boardwalk in Myrtle Beach, SC. Having visited all the boardwalks, the Myrtle Beach boardwalk is by far the nation's best.! Come to Myrtle Beach and see for yourself!!

July 20 2011 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Carol's comment
skevwe

Myrtle Beach came in 3rd. And I agree it's a good one!!!

July 21 2011 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kehprof

How about the Riverwalk in San Antonio?

July 20 2011 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
capejas

Atlantic City is a dangerous place. Twice I have seen women get mugged and their pocketbooks stolen right infront of hotels on the boardwalk. How could NG ever pick this place. It is a hole.

July 20 2011 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to capejas's comment
skevwe

I think Atlantic City defiantely needs some major help, and definately shouldn't have come in as No. 1. I went there for the first time this past march and was not impressed at all. But I also guess every where now a days needs some help. I won't be going back to Atlantic CIty any time soon.

July 21 2011 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jlh3258

I Agree with another comment listed here. I would pick Wildwood, New Jersey as my favorite. Atlantic CIty
s boardwalk is not the same as it was in its hayday. The casinos have changed the look and style. I am surprised Ocean City, New Jerseys boardwalk was missed on list. It is very long and is very family friendly.
I have lived in NJ most of my life and have been to most of the boardwalks you have listed except Calif.

July 20 2011 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Living Legend

As boardwalks go, the #1 is Wildwood hands down. Two and half miles of food rides and attractions you can't find anywhere else. Atlantic City only has crime and casinos. SC is noted for golf and firecrackers, not the boardwalk. Wildwood has no competition...

July 19 2011 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jstahl0829

Atlantic City, bring your handgun. Coney Island, I think they have 1 roller ride. Myrtle Beach, a little commercial. Ocean City MD. authentic, real, fun, and safe.

July 19 2011 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply