Mom Arrested For Yelling At TSA Over Daughter's Patdown

Posted Jul 13th 2011 12:15 PMUpdated Jul 28th 2011 12:53 PM

Getty File

A distraught mother, en route to Baltimore, caused quite a ruckus at the Nashville airport on Saturday as she tried to protect her daughter from the TSA's much-criticized screening procedures.

Andrea Fornella Abbott, 41 of Clarksville, Tennessee, was arrested at the airport after she lost it at a TSA agent for trying to pat down her daughter, according to the Daily News.

Local police claim that Abbott shouted at agents, yelling that she didn't want her daughter to "be touched inappropriately or have her crotch grabbed," The Tennessean reports.

Security officer Sabrina Birge told police that "(Abbott) told me in a very stern voice with quite a bit of attitude that they were not going through that X-ray." Despite being told that the machine was "not an x-ray," Abbott insisted, "I still don't want someone to see our bodies naked."

Abbott then tried to shoot video of the incident on her cell phone, but cops arrested her before she could record anything. The cops cuffed her and hauled her off to jail, charging her with disorderly conduct, the Daily Mail reports. She was released that night.

After the uproar over the patdown of a 6-year old girl in New Orleans in April and the patdown of a baby in May, the TSA has modified its policy about patdowns of children.

The TSA has been called out multiple times publicly in the past year. In December, Khloe Kardashian likened patdowns to rape; in February, Alaska Representative Sharon Cissna returned home by boat to avoid a TSA patdown; in May, former beauty queen Susie Castillo issued a teary video plea over the TSA after a patdown at the Dallas-Fort Worth airport; and in June, an elderly cancer-stricken woman had her adult diaper removed by the TSA because they felt something "warm and firm."

Earlier this month, a Seattle woman called the TSA racist for inspecting her curly hair.

Filed Under: Air Travel, News

cmmmbd

TO STOP ANOTHER 9/11 I WOULD COMPLY TO WHATEVER THEY SAID. SO TO ALL WHO QUACK, BITCH AND MOAN TAKE A CAR OR BUS OR TRAIN. OR SHUT THE HELL UP.

September 10 2011 at 3:27 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
5 replies to cmmmbd's comment
Sara

I've read a few of these comments and you all are being ridiculous. Sometimes one has to sacrifice a few little things for safety. We give money to the government in the form of taxes, in exchange we get police, among many, many other privileges. We get patted down by the TSA to make flights safer. If you have a serious problem with it, than you have no right getting on a plane. Now I know some people say "We have rights." Well one of those rights is the right to life. By being pat-down, you may have been inconvenienced, but for all you know, there may have been someone carrying a bomb that would have killed everyone on that particular plane. I think you can stand to be pat down in exchange for others' lives

September 10 2011 at 3:23 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Sara's comment
Gabrelle

I repeat, keep being complacent and just nod as the government continues to take away our rights and one day, you will wake up in a police state -- like Iran.

January 01 2012 at 9:28 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
doubleduty007

When you are elderly and wearing a Depends because you are also dying of cancer and need that on you, then the TSA come and strip your Depends off of you and make your poo leak all over and totally humiliate you in front of these criminals, then come talk about being ridiculous. Or make you pull off your breast prosthesis in front of these jokers, or pull out your urine bag that leaks all over your own clothing that you are wearing. Talk to Miss America being fondled and the countless times that the TSA will "profile" the good looking built women to "pat down" or go through the naked body scanners so they can "legally" watch your naked body or come back to us when YOUR child is screaming and crying because strangers are touching her in areas and in their underwear that they have no business or legal means to do. On top of everything else, I guess payback is in order because the rate of cancer is soaring with the TSA agents who work those naked body scanners http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-features/56899-tsa-ignored-warnings-on-cancer-cluster . And if the cancers are increasing with the TSA workers, I suspect seeing that radiation is cumulative, I suspect frequent flyers have some risk to them as well. Better wake up because its not just the TSA in your pants at airport terminals, its spread to sports events, high school dances, train terminals and pretty soon you'll be seeing them in your malls or any public event or place since you love them so much.

March 21 2012 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

I would venture to guess that all those killed on 9/11 as a passenger on one of the doomed flights, and their families, would love to go back in time and be patted down by security. Perhaps it wouldn't have saved their lives, but it is at least an effort at protection. If you don't like it, just stop flying and let the rest of us be reasonable.

September 10 2011 at 2:29 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
D-Rome

Flying is a luxury. If you don't like pat-downs (and I don't) find another way to travel (which I do).

September 09 2011 at 1:40 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
thesonofdiogenes

Americans have become a pathetic shell of what we were. We are weak, fearful niinies who cry for the government to protect us...from what.
They engineer stories to keep the fear going. Its really all about control.
After putting up with this crap the last time I refuse to fly again. Take a car , train, or bus.
No one needs corporate airlines anyway. Quit supporting them.

September 08 2011 at 1:34 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
joseph

Don't want to go thru security, then ride the bus. Want the luxury of saving time by boarding an commercial aircraft, then go thru security, just like the other paying passengers do.

September 07 2011 at 1:25 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to joseph's comment
BowieMom

I have no problem with Security rules and regulations. The problem is that these procedures are carried out by HUMAN BEINGS, and not perfect robots. Probably minimum wage, barely trained, never psychologically profiled people who tend to have god complexes. How many times have we read about a badly executed search or pat down and had the TSA reply "we are making sure all TSA agents are given updated training for.....". Blah Blah Blah. Of course TSA agents would NEVER take advantage of their position for grossly sexual reasons - just like a priest would NEVER sexually molest a child. Oh, WAIT........

September 08 2011 at 2:15 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
luketyra

You do realize the scanners and gropers are being put at the bus and train stations now. Sheep. Blind sheep.

September 10 2011 at 1:43 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
chaveza4

I am a soldier and I have deployed twice to the combat zone. Each time I went as an Infantryman and therefore I experience combat action. I have seen how the enemy uses children in combat. Children are used to kill American soldiers. It is not a new concept it's been done for ages. It is disgusting but it is a reality. My son and I went to visit my Mom after the Afghanistan deployment. At the airport we had to take our shoes off and then we were both patted down. I explained to my son the procedure and the TSA worker did a good job and I even made Dan feel like a grown up. Instead of making a big fuss about it parents need to explain to the children that it is designed for our safety. And the easier we make it for everyone the faster the line moves. Every body has someplace to get to. Even in uniform I had to take my boots off. I did not care. We just did it and moved on. Speed laces LOL. This was in Avoca, PA and a handful of us were going to Camp Shelby. Tens year after and we are still complaining about being made safer. UGH. Peace out, Sgt Chavez, United States Army

September 05 2011 at 12:55 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to chaveza4's comment
GTone

This is America Chavez. We don't treat our citizens like we are in a war zone. Period.

September 06 2011 at 2:03 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to GTone's comment
ChuckfromAL

If a terrorists does use an old person or a child to sneak an explosive through screening on to a plane it's idiots like you that will be the first ones to whine "How come screening wasn't better?'. If you don't like the pat downs go through the backscatter machine. If you don't want to do either THEN DON'T FLY!!! I have flown recently and at worst the procedures are an inconvenience.

September 07 2011 at 1:05 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down
33SBT33

You don't have the education to appreciate the irony of what you are saying. You are a duplicitous sop, full of misplaced courage and testosterone, programmed by cynical puppet masters who care nothing for you or for this once proud country. My heart aches for our country and for your son, who is growing up, like the majority of the country, to as clueless and gullible as his daddy.

September 07 2011 at 1:00 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
M

I bet no one would have a problem wit the pat-down of a 6 year old Muslim child?

September 04 2011 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to M's comment
lucky levi

Whay is it Canada, Isreal and all other industrialized countrys have systems in place that dont require molesting people or radiating them to death and they dont have problems? If you are a fool and a member of congress..alas but I repeat myself ~ Mark Twain

September 03 2011 at 4:45 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
lucky levi

nothing like the TSA molest a granny and grope a child programs.. i feel so much safer... Last time I flew out of Detroit TSA was hand molesting every passenger EXCEPT the 3 *********** that let get on the plane without so much as whats in yoru wallet.... i left the airport and refused to board that plane. TSA and homeland insecurity are the biggest collection of perverts and terrorists in the country.Not to mention plain out right dumb

September 03 2011 at 4:38 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply