The Transition Becomes First Flying Car Allowed on the Road

Posted Jul 6th 2011 12:22 PMUpdated Jul 6th 2011 12:54 PM

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has granted a flying car regulatory clearance, meaning the vehicle is now allowed to hit the road. This exclusive permission will allow the Massachusetts based company Terrafugia that designed the car to begin delivering the Transition once models are ready in 2012.

According to The Wall Street Journal, The Transition is the first flying car to avoid crashing into safety regulations. The flying car needed numerous special accommodations from regulators because of conflicts between the rules that govern passenger cars and those that would apply to a light aircraft.

A traffic jam worth of inventors had already tried to get their Jetson-mobiles on the road only to fail thanks to requirements.

First there was the Moller Skycar, invented by Paul Moller, who's been attempting to develop the aircraft vehicle for over 40 years. Then there was the Milner AirCar, which was about the size of a Honda Civic. And how could anyone forget the Transformer TX, which was developed by the Pentagon in 2010. It was capable of carrying up to 1,000 pounds in flight and looked like a jeep with wings.

Luckily, the Transition received special permission to be allowed to weigh 110 pounds more than is typically approved for the light sport aircraft category, as granted by the Federal Aviation Administration.

The company initially hoped to have the car produced by late this year. However, difficulties with suppliers and production complications have prevented the flying automobiles earlier release date, which is now set for the end of next year.

Filed Under: Air Travel, News, Weird

Alena

I think this is a bad idea...i mean putting a vehicle with wings into the air?! Come on now...humans are getting rediculous. So how are the REAL airplanes gonna adapt to this and avoid crashes between them?

July 13 2011 at 8:26 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
walkervinwalker

Did they mention the altitude that this plane can reach? I'm thinking power lines. I have a hard time putting my trust in folding bikes let alone a folding plane. The more moving parts, the greater possibility of failure.

July 06 2011 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to walkervinwalker's comment
BlueSideUp

Many aircraft have folding wings...including WWII aircraft carrier airplanes, and some military ones today as well!

July 06 2011 at 9:37 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ironhead

just think,live in the burbs, buzz into the city

July 06 2011 at 6:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ironhead's comment
BlueSideUp

This is not a helicopter...you still need a runway to take off and land on.

July 06 2011 at 9:36 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Travis

Sounds good, Be Nice to make a motorcycle that fly's.
Later, Travis

July 06 2011 at 6:41 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
kinkmary

i like these if the news pepole shhut there moth to her the man talkk your not funny

July 06 2011 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dssparks19

i see lots of deaths or fatalities n e way, in the making....

July 06 2011 at 5:17 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
albud

What practical purpose would this vehicle have for the average consumer? Its not like you're going to land this thing on I-70! I don't see what the big hub bub is about and why it even needs to be mention in a news story.

July 06 2011 at 5:11 PM Report abuse -6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to albud's comment
BobyLuza

they said the same thing about the pc ;)

July 06 2011 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bangzoomer

It's a death trap !

July 06 2011 at 5:03 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
BlueSideUp

OK...let's keep it really simple for the people that don't get it. In order to legally pilot an aicraft, you need a pilots license, inorder to legally drive a car, you need a drivers license.
I fly a plane, I drive a car...I am licensed for both. What does it matter if it is the same device used for either?
Anyone with the money can purchase a car or an airplane....It does not entitle them for use of the same.

Anyway...it is purely a novelty. It isnot a good airplane, and it is not a good ca!r

July 06 2011 at 5:01 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to BlueSideUp's comment
mamamia

Hi Blue, I live in a 2 family house and the very brilliant man who is my upstairs neighbor happens to be one of the mechanical engineers that is on the design team. I have ridden in this 2 passenger airplane/car
the interior is amazing. They have worked many long hard hours designing this and I would have no problem flying in it. Only the rich will buy this car it cost $220,000 and than sum. A full tank of gas and it will travel for 435miles. I think in the long run you will find that it is a great car and Airplane.
Go to the Web site Terrafugia.com The Harvard Grad's on the team came up with that name for the company.

July 06 2011 at 5:35 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to mamamia's comment
walkervinwalker

When you say ridden, is that the car experience or the flight experience? Also, why take a chance with something that has folding wings.

July 06 2011 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
BlueSideUp

No attack was meant on the Terrafugia...I am glad to see the beginnings of a new market niche. But, just like the first Univac computers that took up an entire room to do the same thing that a pocket calculator can do today, this vehicle is a neophite.
435 miles for an aircraft is very poor range, it does not have the aerodynamic handling, visibility,cruise speed and payload that todays new modern 2 place aircraft have. I can also guarantee you that a minor fender bender, parking incident, or even the sometimes less that gentle hands of an enthusiastic passerby, will render this vehicle unairworthy, and as an A&P mechanic myself, I am not sure you would be able to find anyone who would be willing to put their license as well as the lives of others on the line to recertify the aircraft if there were an incident.

July 06 2011 at 7:04 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
collegecare

Its about time we were support to have our flying car sometime ago. I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade when they started talking about this... Needless to say I'm 50 now. This is so cool for the world at large, see we needed to dream again once more and feel that we have something to look forward too. Let the church say amen!!! America is the place to be... Come fly with me come fly and fly away... We got soul and we are super bad, we got something that is going to make you want to talk about, Yes! We got soul..... Hey, hit me!!! I just feel good!

July 06 2011 at 4:59 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply