World's Prettiest Lighthouses (PHOTOS)

by Lonely Planet Subscribe to Lonely Planet's posts Posted Jun 30th 2011 09:30 AM

A A A

Strikingly tall structures perched on rough windswept coastlines hearkening back to an earlier seafaring time in history, lighthouses are a constant source of fascination for travelers.

Some are shuttered and crumbling, others are still in full-time operation and some are open to the public and climbable, so you can experience the vantage of a lighthouse keeper yourself.

Several historic lighthouses have been converted to hotels as well, so you can voluntarily become a light sleeper (so to speak).

If you're a fan of these bright beacons from a bygone era, Lonely Planet put together a list of their top light spots around the world which are guaranteed to dazzle.

Text by Ben Handicott, Lonely Planet.

Filed Under: Best Of

heff1942

Pemaquid Point Lighthouse (Maine) is simply beautiful.

August 23 2011 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevirock

Portland Head Lighthouse in Maine, Yaquina Head Lighthouse in Oregon & Heceta Lighthouse also in Oregon are my choices.

July 20 2011 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeanie

Those are great, but not one of the great lighthouses along Michigan's coast made the cut? I find that unacceptable....there are some beautiful ones!! Just saying.:)

July 07 2011 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

I can't believe that the lighthouse at Cape Elizabeth, Maine wasn't included. See my photo on Facebook. Donna Opfer

July 07 2011 at 9:37 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
xanadutu

DIDN'T IT SAY, 'WORLD'S PRETTIEST LIGHTHOUSES??' THEY ALL LOOK ALIKE ~~ COULDN'T THEY FIND SOME 'PRETTY' ONES??

July 02 2011 at 8:39 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
WOW...

I'm planning to do a lighthouse 6 day tour in the New England states this fall. Any recommendations?
I've been to Pemaquid Pt and Peggy's Cove and maybe a few others but I'm interested in seeing what you suggest. OH, also any other points of interest not to be missed like maybe ???
Thanks

July 02 2011 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NANCY & OTTO

THE SOUTH EAST LIGHT ON BLOCK ISLAND, R.I. IS NOT ONE TO PASS ON LIGHTLY.

July 02 2011 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tricilla

The Great Lakes have some very nice ones. :)

July 02 2011 at 3:25 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
pollyannaehp

I didn't realize that we had prettier lighthourses around the world other that the U.S.

July 02 2011 at 3:22 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
yellabs

Really that's the best you have. Split Rock Lighthouse-check the Edmund Fitzgeral Memorial picture.

July 02 2011 at 2:58 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply