Jeff Ellis, Alaska Airlines Passenger, Stung By Scorpion Mid-Flight

Posted Jun 30th 2011 11:30 AMUpdated Jun 30th 2011 11:33 AM

An Alaska Airlines passenger got the surprise of a lifetime when he was stung by a scorpion on a flight from Seattle to Anchorage.

Jeff Ellis was flying on a red-eye flight on June 17th from Seattle when he felt something on his sleeve. He tried to brush away the feeling, but when he looked down he saw a scorpion, he told KPTV.

"I picked my hand up and said, `Oh, my God. That's a scorpion,'" Ellis told the Oregon station.

He grabbed the scorpion with a napkin and showed it to his girlfriend, Suzanne Foster, who didn't believe him. Then, she says, "I saw it. He held the napkin up for me to see, and I saw the tail wiggling. I pretty much jumped out of my seat."

Ellis was then stung by the scorpion on his elbow. Ellis' girlfriend called for a flight attendant who had two doctors check him out mid-air. Medics met the plane when it landed in Anchorage.

Ellis said, "Never in a million years, would I have thought a scorpion would have been on an Alaska Airlines flight headed to Alaska."

Authorities believe the scorpion got on the plane in Austin, where the flight originated.

WATCH local coverage below:

Janet Rockett

Been bitten by one. Like a fire ant or bee sting. No big deal unless you are allergic. Ones in Texas aren't poisonous.

June 30 2011 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
backroadranch

I have been stung by scorpions five times all on the foot. If you are not allergic to bee stings then a scorpion will do nothing more than hurt for about five minutes. now if you are allergic to bee stings a scorpion sting can
definitively mess you up. Any one dying from any type of scorpion sting is very rare. It affects different people in different ways. they look kind of scary and that's why allot of people are afraid of them.

June 30 2011 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angel Harris

i would be scared to death i mean wow...any way i hav never been bitten by a snake or scorpion so i dont know how it feels

June 30 2011 at 6:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Mary Ellen

The brown scorpions in Brownsville TX are very poisonous as they can kill you. Some scorpions are poisonous just like snakes so I would not take it lightly.

June 30 2011 at 6:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
steve

he deserved it. if a scorpion is on your arm don't pick it up and show it to your girlfriend. you fling it on the ground step on it, squish it, then show it to your girlfriend, what a maroon!

June 30 2011 at 6:09 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to steve's comment
jadiensdream

Funny comment. However, if you're going to insult someone's intelligence, might I suggest using the right word when doing so?

June 30 2011 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to jadiensdream's comment
Natty

June 30 2011 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
R Guimbellot- Cheval

You can always use "Spell Check" but if you don't have that option you can look the words up in a dictionary, that is, IF you're not sure how to spell them. May God bless you all & I am thankful that this gentleman is ok....

July 01 2011 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
Noreen

"Foster told the station she kept her feet on her seat for the rest of the flight."

So...don't they crawl? What good would it do to put her feet up?

June 30 2011 at 6:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Renee

Nobody wants to think about it... but do you know how many roaches stowaway on planes from peoples luggages..... why not a spider, or scorpion???

June 30 2011 at 4:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Renee's comment
karodallan

...or bed bugs!

June 30 2011 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
valgaavmiko

Centruroides vittatus. Harmless scorpion but the sting hurts a bit. Allergic reaction is rare because their venom is based on peptides instead of proteins like bees. People like this make me cringe. "Oh god nature still exists! Help uuuuuuuuuus!!"

June 30 2011 at 4:17 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to valgaavmiko's comment
rustriverside

I don't understand how this person makes you cringe. Would you not be shocked to have a scorpion climbing on your arm or the arm of someone you loved even when you weren't on a plane? And then wouldnt that fear be intensified by the fact that you are on a plane? I don't know about you, but when I get on a plane my first thought isn't "better check for scorpions". Give the guy a break, I'm sure it wasn't a fun experience.

June 30 2011 at 5:37 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
gbrookville

There would be some busted eardrums on that plane if that had happened to me. I get goose bumps just thinking about it!

June 30 2011 at 4:11 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Charlie

So all the terrorists have to do is put bombs in scorpions, and they can get on board flights unnoticed.

June 30 2011 at 3:55 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply