Michael Aitkin, Drunk Jetstar Passenger, Apologizes For Urinating in Plane Aisle (UPDATE)

Posted Jun 29th 2011 02:00 PMUpdated Jul 12th 2011 02:06 PM

Drunk Airline Passenger Urinates in Plane Aisle, Gets off With a Warning

UPDATE, 7/12: The accused urinator has come forward and apologized to the crew and fellow passengers. Michael Aitkin, a 20-year-old New Zealander, told Australian site news.com.au, "I need to make it clear that I apologize to Jetstar for the negative impact that has come out of it. And all the individual passengers - I also can't apologize enough to them. My behavior was just disgusting, it was inappropriate and I'm going to do everything I can to make it right."

He tells the site that he was unaware of his actions until a fellow passenger told him about the incident.

Jetstar is reportedly considering a lifetime ban for Aitkin.

Original story: A drunk Jetstar passenger just couldn't seem to make it to the lavatory, instead using the airplane aisle to relieve himself. And, he got off with only a warning.

The New Zealand man was on a flight from Auckland to Singapore Monday, and had been seen by passengers before the flight drinking whiskey with friends out of Burger King cups.

Six hours into the eleven-hour flight, he then proceeded to let loose in the aisle – urinating on the carpet, a man's leg and a woman's scarf, reports the New Zealand Herald.

"I hear this sound of running water and then I hear a guy going 'No, no, no, what the hell is wrong with you?' passenger Amos Chapple told the paper. "And there's this guy pissing in the aisle, waving back and forth."

Wipes were provided for the sprayed man, who was moved, but the woman with the wet scarf had to ask repeatedly for a plastic bag.

The sprayer, on the other hand, got off a bit easier. He was given a warning from the captain and sent to his seat to sleep it off. Apparently, according to Chapple, when he confronted the man in Singapore he was clueless about the incident.

According to the Herald, Jetstar confirmed that "there was an inebriated passenger who engaged in inappropriate and disruptive behavior", but didn't believe there was need for police involvement.

"We issued our final warning ... if you don't behave after the warning, then it becomes a matter for federal police," said airline spokeswoman Jennifer Timm.

Affected customers are being contacted for compensation. Wonder if that will include a new scarf?

Filed Under: Air Travel, News

If he peed on my scarf I would have stood up and kicked at the offending part as hard as I could. Why those 2 people just sat there and took it is beyond me. Sheeple.

June 30 2011 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

In Cali, trucker bombs (bottles filled with PP and tossed along highways) are rightly considered hazardous waste -- requiring a haz mat suit by DOT workers...p-p can carry blood borne pathogens. I smell lawsuits a-plenty!

June 30 2011 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

It is possible that parts of the world other than America might find this situation less than an atrocity. Outside America, I have seen men—very well-dressed men, at that, sober in three-piece suits—urinate in the middle of a busy sidewalk in broad daylight. This news item is outrageous, but an outrage? Maybe not.

June 30 2011 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
God Bless You

What would had been a reaction by an american captain in the U.S.A. ? The Captain immediately had proceeded to call Homeland Security and immediately scorted by F-17 Jet Fighter pilots ( at least three of them ), returned back to the Airport , the drunk would be arrested as a potential terrorist...

June 29 2011 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
God Bless You

Good for the Captain, he realized the guy was drunk and gave him a warning...

June 29 2011 at 9:16 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply

Ridiculous that someone can gey away with somthing like this. I hape there are personal lawsuits from the other passengers.

June 29 2011 at 8:41 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

Now this is JUST typical- A drunk pees on your leg, and the folks say " NO PROBLEM"??? NOW you know why New Zealand is in trouble!!!

June 29 2011 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

He should have been jailed for assault. It would have been assault with a deadly weapon, but they couldn't find the weapon, HA! HA! Pretty disgusting and should have been fined and also for the amount of money to clean the carpet on the jet.

June 29 2011 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

They should have opened the door and let him out like you do the dog.

June 29 2011 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply