Airline Considers Banning Children From First Class (POLL)

Posted Jun 28th 2011 08:15 AM

Jupiter Images

First-class passengers aboard some Malaysia Airlines flights won't have to worry about being woken up by a crying baby anymore.

The airline has banned infants in first class of its Boeing 747-400 jets, and has plans to do the same in their new Airbus A380 superjumbo jets, the Australian Business Traveller reported.

The ban comes after the many complaints from first-class passengers who couldn't sleep on their pricey flight due to wailing infants, MAS CEO and Managing Director Tengku Azmil told the Australia Business Traveller.

Amidst the controversial move, Azmil took to his Twitter account to defend the company's decision not to install bassinets in its Boeing 747-400 first class cabin. In response to a post about the ban, Azmil tweeted: "Also hv many complaints from 1st class pax dat dey spend money on 1st class & can't sleep due to crying infants."

Travelers with babies will now have to book seats in business or economy class, which are equipped with bassinets.

Routes affected by the ban include long-haul flights from Kuala Lumpur to Amsterdam, London and Sydney.

In February, several airlines including British Airways and Virgin Atlantic were considering creating children-free flights.

Banning babies in 1st class cabins is...
Totally fair. Those people paid A LOT for those seats and should enjoy them.19166 (78.9%)
Completely foul. It's up to the parents, not the airline.5118 (21.1%)

Filed Under: Air Travel, News

ozk_c

Why don't this companies make an airplane that is all colorful and all the pillows are also colorful and instead of banning children they should make flights only for families with children, where the movies, themes, and there are some toys for kids to be entertained and even the staff is kid friendly and another flight where is for people who have no children and it is fancy and more expensive. I think parents would appreciate having a flight where is kids friendly, they would even pay more if they make those flights more entertaining and specific for children (like computer games on the screen, music for kids). It works both ways, cause people who don't like children will have a child-free flight and those who have will enjoy a child friendly one where everyone has kids. I am sure these companies could think of an idea like that. They would make more money both ways, People who want a quiet flight would pay more to be in a child free flight and people who has children would pay more to be in an airplane that is decorated and specific for people who have children. They should really consider this. There are flights everywhere all the time. I am sure that parents would appreciate having a flight where they don't have to worry about other people complaining about their child and people who don't like children, will be able to enjoy their quiet flight too.

July 14 2013 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wscottd

Perhaps the fairest way would be to limit the concession for children to economy class, if people want their children to travel up front, they pay the full fair - one passenger - one seat, no bassinets. Honestly they'd be best down the back of the plane next to the stern loos. Perhaps the rear most seats could be rear facing with the bassinets attached to the loo bulkhead.

I'd say well done to Malaysian for making this move, Oriental cabin staff don't have the same ability to deal with this kind of problem as, say for example BA. The Far eastern staff are young and stand offish, where as the more experienced staff on BA love kids, they take them away and quieten them down.

I've travel back from the far east on an overnight flight next to a howling brat, when I expected to get a full night's sleep in business arrived at Heathrow and still had to do a full days work, whilst mum, dad and their little darling gently snoozed the day away (isn't there some kind of protocol that children, if they really have to travel in business, are limited to the lower deck?).

I love the earlier comment about old people and heart attacks, I've heard that if there is a death in the air the cabin staff often move the dearly departed in to a spare seat in business - it's easier to get them out after rigamortise sets in. Moral - be careful about going to sleep in business you might just wake up next to someone who won't wake up.

November 07 2011 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Natalya

Just wonder how someone can talk about human attitude while discriminating children like that? Why would I be deprivated a chance to buy a first class ticket for me and my little daughter (who BTW sleeps in the planes all the time) ? Why am I put in a discriminating position toward other people? If Malasian airlines (once I thought it was a good airline) decides to introduce discrimination, let's go further - forbid 1st class entrance to blacks (because they smell), to old people (because they might get a heart attack), to women (because they can sream) and so fourth. Why to limit itself with children? Let's go further! there plenty of opportunitites!

August 04 2011 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VioletYoshi

Children DO NOT belong in first class. Neither do their filthy diaper changing on the seat, leaving dirty diapers in the pocket behind the seat parents either. People pay extra for first class, to get away from their filthy noisey beasts. If they are too delusional to understand that, or too paranoid at the thought that the entire world isn't looking out for baby, they're just going to have to deal with it. Time to treat parents like adults, and not like small children.

August 02 2011 at 1:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mommaof3loves

Wow! Some of the things you commentars have said.... "Snotty bratty kids with poop in it's diaper" Really?! You know what. My 6, 5, and 2 year old has better manners and politeness then over half of the adults who commented on this link. Our society has turned into such a SELFISH narcissistic society. And it truely saddens me. My husband is in the Navy, and we fly a lot. Because we fly a lot, my children know how to behave on a plane. Granted, when they were babies and UNDER two, there where times when they cried, got fussy, and maybe even loud and annoying. But you know what?! I PAID FOR MY FLIGHT just like you do! Do I not deserve to fly on a plane just because I have children who fly with me!? I think NOT!

A commentar wrote that a mother should leave the bratty kids home with a sitter, or drive, or just stay home. Hmmm.... lets realistically think about those options. I live 2,000 miles away from my family. Like I said above, my husband is military so there for we move around. I have no family here. When he is away, I like to go and visit my family, driving IS NOT an option as I would be driving 3 children BY MYSELF across the county. Sounds pretty dangerous, scary, lonely to me. Obviously leaving them with a sitter isn't an option either. So I will take the flight option!

Sheesh, people are so selfish these days. What spoiled little brats we have in the "Adult" world.....

July 20 2011 at 1:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mommaof3loves's comment
VioletYoshi

Good your kids have better manners. They don't live in an adult world, it's easy to have good manners when the only people you have to interact with are those who unconditionally love you. As far as attacking adults for being selfish, your entire post has been whining about how unfair it is. How dare people suggest I drive. Perhaps your children are of the RARE variety that know how to behave, but what about the other parents and their hellions? We're supposed to always understand when it comes to parents, there's never any expectation of them to understand those who don't have children like them. It's time someone treated parents like the children they behave as, they need to learn respect for the word no. You don't like that I made you have to face the reality, that some parents are filthy pigs who change their child's diaper on the seats? Or are you one of those parents who just can't understand what the fuss is all about. Heard of E.Coli, that's right the waste from your little miracles could make people deathly ill. Oh, but let's not make the unselfish parents, have to face that they should have to get up and deal with their baby's poo. No, we can't tell them not to create a biohazard, that might hurt their feewings. Then they'll have to go running to the nearest mommy blog, to cry cry cry all about it. That is how parents behave, that is not how adults behave. Adults take responsiblity for their behaviors, parents in a majority of cases do not. Also, just because you paid for a flight, doesn't mean you get to make everyone miserable. It's SELFISH to suggest you have that right. It's not unreasonable that first class be a place of quiet. It's unreasonable to expect the airline to bother moving you to coach, where you belong when you have a screaming crying baby with you, after you've disturbed all of first class because you SELFISHLY feel you have the right to close yourself off to the outside world, and pretend nobody exsists outside of your children.

September 16 2011 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
princssjoanne

Im guessing the airlines wont be banning the talkative drunk guy from first class who talks and annoys the rest of first class for 14 hours straight. I dont think airlines should be able to discriminate like that.

July 20 2011 at 12:53 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Emmy

Here's an easy solution...Use ear plugs or noise cancelling headphones.

July 19 2011 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Emmy's comment
VioletYoshi

Here's another easy solution. Heard of a pacifier?

September 16 2011 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emmy

Get earplugs or noise cancelling headphones. If you have the money for first class tickets, you can afford to cover up your ears.

July 19 2011 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
healthjunkie

I am surprised some of these travelers aren't smart enough to pack their own ear plugs. I find they help with everything from crying babies to annoying loud talkers that think you need to know the details of their alimony settlement from four rows back.

July 17 2011 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rocky

I remember traveling from San Francisco, then to New York and then to Tehran, Iran (when they liked Americans) with my two young children, 4 and 7 and my mother. Because my daughter was a wanderer, I bought one of those harnesses that go on the kids and the leash gets hooked to Mom. The minute I put in on her, she promptly screamed bloody murder and sat down, stating she was not a dog. Off the harnass came in a heartbeat and I made her promise if she didn't hold onto my dress, she was going to become a "dog" real quick. She never let go and I didn't have to listen to a 4 year old screaming. Their Dad was taking a plane the Iranian Air Force bought, and he met us in England and Naples and finally in Tehran where three families were put on the IAF's new P-3, although when we landed, they had surrounded the plane with men with rifles, scaring the you know what out of all of us. East means stop in Farsi, and the minute we heard the word "East:" being yelled at us, none of, including the kids moved a muscle. Gee I wonder if it was all the guns?

July 12 2011 at 5:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply