Delta Airlines Passenger Pissed About Urine-Soaked Luggage

by AOL Travel Staff Subscribe to AOL Travel Staff's posts Posted Jun 22nd 2011 10:15 AM

A A A

In the YouTube video below, Haze takes us on a guided tour of the destruction: stolen aftershave, urine-soaked clothes and toothpaste everywhere.

Haze also says in the video that Delta rather inefficiently sent his bag from London to Boston, back to London, back to Boston and on to Minneapolis.

This is just the latest example of a YouTube-fueled Delta scandal. A video made by a soldier who the airline charged for carrying extra luggage went viral earlier this month. The airline was forced to apologize and change its policy on active duty military officers' luggage fees.

Perhaps Haze's video will result in the airline adopting a "No Urinating on Passengers' Luggage" policy.

Update: Delta responded to the Sy Haze situation by giving the following statement to Time Magazine's Newsfeed blog:

"We are talking with the customer to apologize for the misdirected bag and secure information on the condition in which his bag was returned to identify a cause and offer resolution. As it relates to the actual handling of the bag, if anything happened outside of our normal procedures it is unacceptable and will be closely reviewed."

Filed Under: Air Travel, News, Video

Alan

This happend to me 4 weeks ago traveling from Cairo to Minneaplois. My bag did not make it on time dure to canceled flights. When it arrived, It was all covered with Urine. I attempted to clean the bag but now success and threw our most of the cloth that was in it. I called Delta and they they were nothing they can do for me.. They indicated that I had to bring the bag back for them to look at it, but at that point I was travelling overseas for my next trip...

June 24 2011 at 6:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drake88

This sounds more like THEFT, VANDALISM, and failure to perform contracted duties. "Contracted duties?", you say - yes CONTRACTED DUTIES! When buying an airline ticket, train ticket etc. there is an implied contract between the passenger and the service provider.
One of those duties is the general security of items intrusted to the service provider - basically, insuring that the passenger receives the item(s) in the condition they were turned over to the service provider.
This was NOT done. The offer of free 1st class airfare is, by itself NOT an acceptable response. The passenger STILL has to have is clothing cleaned and it seems HE is responsible for PAYING for it. Delta should have payed for the cleaning AND offered the free ticket - they are the ones at fault, Delta should fix or repair the damage - or compensate the passenger for their loss.

Unfortunately, as with so many other service providers, airlines(generally, anyway) have a "travel at your own risk" policy that applies to your possessions as well as you. You travel with them, you and your possessions are YOUR problem while in the PROVIDERS custody. The only way you could get around this would be to show deliberate, intentional malfeasance on the providers part - hard to do since you never see your possessions once they are checked in - until you get them back from the provider.

June 24 2011 at 5:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bobdunk

Everyone who reads this should pass it along to others to read. Let's have a "pissed off party" at the expense of these airline ****** who bilk us and do nothing for the "customer." Yes, the customer. Without us flying, there is no airline. These frickin clowns need to be taught a good hard lesson. I urge everyone to pass this along to 10 friends, and have them do the same. WE CAN STOP this kind of crap if we just unite!!

June 23 2011 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WatergirlHawaii

Wow, YUCK; he must have really pissed someone off!
Well, it always pays to be nice to people, especially to airline employees... just try being kind and understanding while helping others to solve whatever issue may arise...

Yesterday the first leg of my cross country flight was delayed... and I ended up with a free limo ride (and city tour) to a nearby airport, and free airport parking for a week (in San Fran), free use of the first class lounges, and extra air miles, compliments of US Airways and Delta! Then on the last leg of my journey, the plane was delayed on the tarmack for being overweight and unbalanced... Many passengers got angry at the delay, and some were too self-important to shift seats to help balance out the planes uneven weight distribution!!! I got a free ticket by VOLUNTEERING to have all my luggage removed, and changing seats to whereever. It solved the problem, the pilot flew a bit faster, everyone benefitted by arriving on time, and the airline delivered my luggage before I even woke up this morning!

I FOCUSED ON BEING KIND & HELPFUL AND DOING ALL I COULD TO HELP SOLVETHE ISSUE; and I ended up in first class (with the pilot thanking me personally)!!! IT FELT GREAT to help the airline so ALL THE PASSENGERS could get to their destination on time! It was a wonderful way to start my vacation!

June 23 2011 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to WatergirlHawaii's comment
CeriseR357

Sorry, but no matter how annoying the passenger is there is not excuse for this. Being nice should be rewarded but it is not up to cs to discipline people they decide have been annoying. People can be awful sometimes, not everyone has your spirit of cooperation
but this was just wrong
And once they have done this... what is to stop them from ...Uhmmm with your clothing because you are cute? or just plain stealing which happens often enough...
It is either a colossal scam or it shows us what is going on with employees out of control and an airline that does not care if customers are harassed
If delta can't figure out who did this, I'd be really concerned. What is to stop them from poisoning the food or something more serious to get revenge?

June 23 2011 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drake88

It does not sound to me as if this is because the passenger was rude. I sounds more like THEFT, VANDALISM, and failure to perform contracted duties. "Contracted duties?", you say - yes CONTRACTED DUTIES! When buying an airline ticket, train ticket etc. there is an implied contract between the passenger and the service provider.

June 24 2011 at 5:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anneo123

This doesn't seem valid...first of all, why didn't he check his baggage tag to make sure it was posted to the right airport? That's Travel 101. Problem could have been stopped before it started. No way he is touching his laundry and spreading it all around if it was truly soaked in urine. Sounds like a scam to me!

June 23 2011 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to anneo123's comment
GoodDecisions

No. You have no idea what damage Delta and the TSA can do to luggage. There are a lot of dishonest, vindictive people handling luggage. AND remember what they're paid. Not much, so you get what you pay for with these people. I've had things stolen. Items inside vandalized, luggage left behind on purpose in order to take more walk-up-high-dollar passengers (weight related issues there). And THAT is illegal.

Delta is the worst of the worst, and right behind them are American and United/Continental. Try not to fly. That's what we do.

June 23 2011 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pathprof

It should be easy enough (but a little expensive) to identify the culprit. First get a urine sample from the passenger in order to exclude him and then Delta gets specimens from the possible baggage handlers. There will be more than adequate material for DNA identification. Should be worth the cost to Delta.

June 23 2011 at 11:23 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
kim

Why is he touching the stuff with his bare hands?

June 23 2011 at 11:10 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

I think that is disgusting, deplorable, and really negligent of Delta! they do not care, what happens, and their employees, are idiots. I hope he gets restitution for this, get a lawyer, to help you, as it seems that Delta, is ignoring the issue,hoping it will just go away. GIGI

June 23 2011 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dr. Cal Harris

There has got to be a great back story to this. My suspicion is that he "pissed" (sorry) off the gal at the counter and she recruited some of her comrades who did a number on his luggage.

I once had a bag mysteriously go to Newark and other stops before being lost in the system for two months. I was flying from San Fran to Pittsburgh, PA. I confess that my manners at the checkin counter (this was 1983) left a bit to be desired; raising my suspicions that the person at the counter didn't get mad at me but rather got even. I suspect that this person really torqued off the airline folks.

June 23 2011 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply