Robert Sayegh, Delta Passenger, Kicked Off Plane For Using F-Word

Posted Jun 14th 2011 09:30 AMUpdated Jun 14th 2011 11:33 AM

Robert Sayegh, Delta Passenger, Kicked Off Plane For Using F-Word

Jupiter Images

Robert Sayegh was flying back from his cousin's wedding on Sunday on a Delta flight, when, while complaining about a delay, he used the F-word to a fellow passenger and was promptly kicked off the flight, the Detroit Free Press reports.

The 37-year old Brooklyn man was en route from a cousin's wedding in Kansas City when he was taken off Atlantic Southwest Airlines Flight 5136 after complaining to a fellow passenger about a 45-minute delay.

When reached at home, Sayegh told the Free Press: "I was just kind of talking to the guy sitting next to me. I said 'What is taking so long?' I said "What the 'F' is going on?' I could see if I directed it at (the flight attendant), but I didn't even speak to him."

The flight, which was taxiing on the runway, turned around at Detroit Metro Airport and police boarded the flight to escort Sayegh off. "I couldn't even believe when they pulled up and the cops got on," Sayegh told the paper.

Sayegh claims he's sensitive to airline rules after his cousin died in 9/11, saying to the paper, "if anyone stood up on a plane, I would crush them."

Sayegh admits he was hungover on the flight, and denies that the F-word was directed at anyone. "I don't want to come off like I curse all the time. We use curse words just like adjectives. But the thing is, I never said it out loud towards him. He just happened to be right behind me," Sayegh says of the flight attendant.

"I wouldn't even start this type of thing unless I felt it deserved it," Sayegh said of calling local media while in Detroit waiting for his next flight."This is really, really ridiculous. This guy should not have a job in terms of dealing with people. It's ridiculous." Sayegh claims to be talking to his brother, a lawyer, about taking legal action.

An Atlantic Southwest Airlines spokeswoman told the Detroit Free Press that the airline is looking into the incident, adding "We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused."

Filed Under: Air Travel, News

sedgwick

Last I heard, this was America and we had freedom of speech. I guess that's gone now, yeah? I missed the memo.

September 22 2011 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joeyx1953

I think it was very appropriate to toss this guy off for swearing. I'm not crazy about hearing it . I'm sure there are many children and elderly aboard. they don't need to be captive audiences to inappropriate behavior either. The crying woman getting tossed off was appropriat also. Who needs someone who may be controllable up in the air ina small space. My kudos to Southwest for taking a stand. Keep up the great work!

September 06 2011 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joeyx1953

I think it was appropriate that he was removed. Not everyone wants to hear swearing. Plus there are usually lots of kids and elderly aboard. They should not be hearing this any more than I. Thanks southwest! Keep up the great work.

September 06 2011 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maria

I , for one, am tired of the word too.... but this was not right.

July 30 2011 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sev

Good I agree They should have kicked him off the plane but they also should have double charged him for the flight and washed his mouth out with soap. people are just too rude these days

July 30 2011 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ty

I'd rather fly with goats, chickens and whatnot like they portray South American commuter flights than what is presently available here. I'd even be willing to help duct tape a few holes in the seats rather than go through all the security crap and knee-jerk reactionary staff. Maybe after Norway's example America will be embarrassed into growing a fn pair again.

July 30 2011 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mkscorpion3283

It'll be a cold day in Hawaii before I fly again.

July 30 2011 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dunlop Law Firm

The airlines are getting worse and worse. Who the **** do these fascist pigs think they are/

July 30 2011 at 2:06 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dunlop Law Firm's comment
Fawn

I've found myself trapped on a plane with unruly passengers on several occations. I don't enjoy hearing it and I don't enjoy having my family hear it. I paid for a ticket to transport myself from one airport to another, not listen to rude customers with an immature vocabulary.

September 09 2011 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
badbrat42

They kicked a man off for a word. I could understand if he was being loud and obnoxious but just saying "WTF is goin on?" is seriously not that big of a deal. I don't see why people are like "OMG he used foul language you go Delta!" it isn't like he cursed out the flight attendant.

July 30 2011 at 1:51 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to badbrat42's comment
Maria

I agree with you. If he was just saying it in complain to no one and being quiet about it. They should've asked him to "Please be quiet and not swear." That would've been better. At least try to be polite. Instead though, they've caused a black eye for their company.

July 30 2011 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Regina Benson

Good for the airline!!!! People with classier ways to express themselves are sick of the others with their dirty language !! We all know what is meant by the F word and I for one am sick of hearing it.

July 30 2011 at 12:48 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply