Destin-Nation Honduras: Central American Travel on the Cheap

by Andrew Burmon Subscribe to Andrew Burmon's posts Posted Jun 9th 2011 07:30 AM

A A A

Honduras is the in the middle of a massive tourism infrastructure build out, which makes now the time for budget travelers to take advantage of increasing accessibility and still low prices. Though the islands offshore have long been a favorite among divers, the rest of the country is experiencing a tourist surge that could significantly reshape many of its quaint towns and bring up prices.

The Central American country, which is slightly smaller than Ohio, packs a punch, offering Mayan ruins, virgin jungle, and pristine beaches.

As it stands, the U.S. dollar trades for just under 19 Honduran lempira. To put that in more concrete terms: Cocktails cost $1.50. The cocktail lounge? A handful of pleasant small towns dotting the Caribbean coastline.

About 3 hours by air from Texas, Honduras is also convenient and perpetually warm - a little humid perhaps, but its a privilege to whine about such things come winter. The San Pedro Sula airport is a convenient entry for beach goers, who may want to rent a car given the recently paved highways that run across the northern coastline.

Tip: Make sure to look into travel safety tips when visiting Honduras.

Nida

Honduras looks like an adventure! Hopefully my Spanish will be good enough by the time I can visit South America :D I've been teaching myself using this Eton Institute phrase book on my Kindle. Its pretty good haha I can actually sort of have a conversation with a Spanish-speaking person. Want to get started on French soon too.

Do people speak English at all in Honduras?

June 29 2011 at 4:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joe

honduras is not mexico. So would think it is safer than most. Have not been to honduras but have been to costa rica and it is an outstanding vacation destination whether it be beech or jungle destinations.

June 11 2011 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Wayne Claytor

I love Honduras; I've been there twice in the last 5 years. San Pedro Sula is a jewel.

June 11 2011 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Wayne Claytor

June 11 2011 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dasunx

I owned a business in Central America and based myself out of Nicaragua.... It was very pleasant and except for a few minor inconveniences there were no major problems....... Now one thing for sure, it is a different culture but isn't that why most people travel outside the U.S. , for the experience. I have a feeling that the time is near that there will be a lot of folks who will be looking hard at places like Honduras.......

June 11 2011 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
whitscloset

I had to spend a month in Honduras on business. There is one decent (?) hotel in Tegucigalpa, and San Pedro Sula is not much better. In short, the place is a dump...save your money.

June 11 2011 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ShomaraCruz

The small Casa de los Arcos is an excellent budget option for visitors who want a little more personal service. The hotel offers homey room from $60. Because San Pedro Sula is a travel hub there are larger, more establish options like the Intercontinental with its $165 rooms.

walkerperu. net

June 11 2011 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
skitzlpk

I'm a little skittish on all things Spanish now. I'm sure it's a lovely country but what's the "beheading rate" of tourists? Call me paranoid but I'd rather take my chances with travel to Canada & taking on a rabid liberal..

June 11 2011 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pawpaw

who in their right mind would take a vacation south of the border nowadays?...

June 11 2011 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tetragnathid

I prefer "less expensive" (meaning less cost) than "cheap" travel (meaning poor quality).

June 11 2011 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply