Krzysztof Grzegorz and Jouoastaw K, Polish Contortionists, Steal From Travelers' Luggage

Posted Jun 8th 2011 09:15 AM

Getty File

Here's a new one: A Polish contortionist and his accomplice were arrested in Spain on Friday for stealing valuable items from travelers' checked luggage after gaining entry to the cargo of an airport transit bus by hiding himself in a small suitcase.

Krzysztof Grzegorz and Jouoastaw K were arrested after a bus company employee noticed a man struggling to retrieve his heavy luggage from the Girona Airport to Barcelona bus. When officers checked the case, they noticed it was warm and opened it only to discover a very sweaty 5'8" thief holding a laptop and a GPS device that didn't belong to him.

The contortionist was using a head lamp to root through the bus's cargo hold while his partner rode in relative luxury above.

A Catalan police spokesperson told the press: "I believe this is what the British call an open and shut case."

It is tempting to think that Grzegorz and K were taking revenge on behalf of the contortionist community for the theft of this knotted-up street performer's boombox, but all we know so far is that this story will go down in the annals of uncomfortable people stealing stuff, joining such ripping yarns as the Australian coin shop slipper, the Japanese identity thief, and Ocean's Eleven.

Still, these enterprising thieves shouldn't get too much credit. Getting into a big suitcase really isn't that difficult. Marketers can do it. Ikea customers can do it. Bored teenagers seem especially good at it.

Police are still investigating to see what else the dastardly Polish villains may have previously stolen from the bus. Victims come forward!

El Periodico, the Catalan newspaper that first reported on the unusual case, posted a tremendous diagram on its site that is worth seeing even if you can't read Spanish.

Filed Under: News, Weird

Cap'n J

Good thing the cops got him before he ended up in the gorilla room!

June 08 2011 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
E

This is crime the old fashioned way.

June 08 2011 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
baldinia

They bought a bus ticket, a large suitcase, & a head lamp to steal a laptop & a GPS device that they couldn't resell for more than a couple of hundred dollars. Add to that possibly spoiling someone's holiday if successful, or getting locked up if unsuccessful. Is it really all that hard to polish up the old resume & make some honest money?

June 08 2011 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to baldinia's comment
Jamesson

Not if it had valuable secrets...

June 08 2011 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
woodbutcher

Polish.

June 08 2011 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nurek

Just to clear this out: Krzysztof Grzegorz = Krzysztof Grzegorz (middle name) M. (M. is initial of his surname) and Jouoastaw K. = Jarosław K. (K. is initial of his surname).

June 08 2011 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
@wftristan

just wondering how security would have kept a straight face asking

"did you packyourself sir ? "

June 08 2011 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charlene

I guess weight limit on regular luggage is not checked? Do the x-rays only show metal? I havn't been on a plane in years and don't want to be. We went on a trip when it was 'code orange'. I'd had hip surgery, so I have a metal implant. It was quite embarrassing. They escorted me to a roped off area with metal chairs and had me remove my shoes. Then they finally scanned me. Everyone was watching. Another trip I bought a SEALED bottle of water before hand, because some waters make me sick. I couldn't bring it on board. I've heard of items like tweezers and knitting kneedles taken away. I understand why but why can't the airline put it in a safe place and let them have it back at the end of the trip? I hope all these idiots who have caused all this extra security get their justice in the end. Try opening something these days. I'd hate to imagine people with arthritis. It must be very agravating.

June 08 2011 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Charlene's comment
sizzzla2

This was on a bus! No metal detectors for buses the last time I heard.

June 08 2011 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply