Keith Whelan, 'Naked Adventurer,' Rescued At Sea

Posted Jun 7th 2011 08:45 AM

Well this isn't something that is written everyday: Keith Whelan, aka "The Naked Adventurer," was rescued at sea while en route in his attempt to become the first Irishman to row solo across the Indian Ocean.

But oh wait, there's more. He's naked. In his birthday suit. In the buff. On a boat in the Ocean heading from Mauritius to Australia.

Whelan hit his head in rough seas and had to be rescued by a cargo ship after notifying Australian authorities, the Associated Press reports.

The 29-year old was taken to Australia's western coast to recover. On his blog, a press release states: "Keith's rowing boat [a Woodvale Solo class boat] was hit by a large wave last night while he slept. The force of the wave threw him across the boat's inner cabin and resulted in a laceration to the head. Keith was able to stop the bleeding himself and with that in mind, decided to seek help at first light."

So why does he want to cross the Indian Ocean anyway? On his blog, Whelan writes:

"I am a risk taker and risking your life to achieve a dream is the biggest risk you can take. Some might say it's foolish but to my mind it is only foolish if you don't know the risks and you don't prepare for them and train for every possible scenario. I guess I want to be able to look back on my life in years to come and have accomplished things which I am proud of. I am no different from everyone else in that respect. Granted my ambitions may be at the more extreme end but for me that makes them all the more worthwhile."

And about being naked? Whelan explains on his site that the Ocean is very salty and clothing "tends to become encrusted with salt," adding, "I will have no means of cleaning this from any clothing at sea, so wearing this clothing when full of salt would lead to severe salt sores on my body which is why I will be naked for most of the journey."

Filed Under: Adventure Travel, News, Weird

kv37

Everyone is a naked adventurer.

June 08 2011 at 4:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jtghb

Since naked was brought up in the title of the story we should see him naked. I would like to see the rowing boat as well.

June 08 2011 at 4:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ron

right on buddy! let your freak flag fly!

June 08 2011 at 3:47 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Irish Stud

Wow he is a male-mermaid...

June 08 2011 at 1:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debbieswalsh

Hey, if the article hadn't mentioned he was naked no one would be commenting on his nakedness, but that seemed to be the whole focus of the article, being injured was second to . Why didn't the guy pack lots of fresh clothing for the journey so he could change often and not get those salt wounds he talks about? he really just wanted to dangle it in the wind and feel the breezes!
You're ok in my book mate...love my Irishen! Just don't be so stupid if you want to play the extreme games...sunburn is gonna be a helluva lot worse then salt!

June 08 2011 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sally Flower

Can you say RUN-ON sentences?

June 08 2011 at 1:00 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sally Flower's comment
ron

you must be a teacher,or a know it all .

June 08 2011 at 3:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bexarpaw

Now then IF his name was Weiner.......

June 08 2011 at 12:21 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Bexarpaw

So what am I missing here? A young fellow alone in a rowboat naked, so who is to care?????
\
Was this journalism, or news, or space filler, or a contest winner or what???????

June 08 2011 at 12:20 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
denisehh3

Hmmmm.........i'm inclined to think he had a sunburn on his...........

June 08 2011 at 12:16 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Jamie

Only a moronic internet "journalist" would sieze on details like this and deem them newsworthy. Then again, there is the maturity level of the audience that must be catered to. Any long distance tropical blue water sailor can relate to Whelan's paragraph about salt sores and the feasibility of being naked much of the time. Try to exist even for a few days with salt encrusted clothing in humidity and heat with no fresh water to wash with - you'll get the picture.

June 08 2011 at 12:15 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jamie's comment
Randy

Hmmmm........Yet you found time to not only read it, but to comment on it. -lol

June 08 2011 at 4:01 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply