Lily Allen Takes To Twitter Over Ryanair Boarding Pass

Posted Jun 6th 2011 08:30 AM

Lily Allen took to Twitter over the weekend to express her disappointment in budget airline Ryanair for charging her to print her boarding pass, Metro.co.uk reports.

The British singer was en route to Belfast with her sister to launch their new clothing line when Allen tweeted: "Ryan Air have just charged me 40 quid to print out my boarding pass. Unbelievable."

She followed it up with 'Oh, and now they've taken it off of me. 40 pounds for a piece of paper that was mine for approx. 7 mins, wow....'

To be fair, Ryanair does put the fee right out there on its site and states that if a passenger has lost a boarding pass they will be charged to replace it.

Allen's Twitter fans responded in numbers to her plight. One tweeter, @fagash3 wrote "you can afford it. Have a good flight," while others shared her concern for airline that seems to charge passengers for everything.

Ryanair has gotten flack for its excessive fee structure in the past. In July 2009, the airline's animated CEO, Michael O'Leary, said he wanted passengers to stand during flights to create room for even more packed planes. Later that month, he also suggested charging passengers for use of the bathroom.

In February 2011, fed up passengers had enough of Ryanair's endless fees when roughly 100 people 'mutinied' on a flight in the Canary Islands.

Thus far @ryanairnews has yet to reply.

dalysea

I once booked a flight from Manchester to Dublin round trip for 26 pounds. Thought how can I pass up that low of a price, right? Then I got to the airport and realized I'd taken the wrong sheets of paper with me. I had printed my boarding passes as instructed, I'd just forgotten to bring them. When they told me it was 40 pounds to print a new one, I just about fainted. The ticket agent told me to go to the airport business center and rent an hour of time at 10 pounds and print the boarding pass for 2 pounds. 12 pounds << 40 pounds so if anyone else runs into this situation and is early for their flight...

October 24 2011 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dalysea's comment
Teresa Duffy

At least the ticket agent was decent to advise you of the cheaper option.

November 02 2012 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sethlefkow

One of these days, on the cheaper airlines, when the oxygen mask drops in an emergency, they will be coin-operated.

As for poor-service airlines, try Spirit and Delta. I've never flown Ryanair but I'll but those two in it's class anytime.

August 11 2011 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sethlefkow's comment
Teresa Duffy

I have flown Ryanair they are stressfull airline. I have flown Delta Dublin to Atlanta 8 hours and could not fault their service. I do like Aer Lingus to fly with and they do have specials.

November 02 2012 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sara

Here's a suggestion: Protest with your feet--walk away from them & fly another airline!

August 05 2011 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sara's comment
Teresa Duffy

Now you are talking the right language, everyone should boycot Ryanair and put him out of business,

November 02 2012 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr. Deejay

Just because she is able to afford it and is a celebrity doesn't make the Raynair fees any less ridiculous! She, like anyone else,likes to save money (unless you are filthy rich & careless). She called out on the fees & voiced her opinnion like anyone would have noticed & found stupid as well. So if you are calling her a brat whining over fees, then you should reconsider cause you might be the one whining over how jealous you are about her having more money than you. She is human & capable of noticing uncalled-for policies. She never said she cant afford anything. She just knows she as well as many are being taken for their money. So good for her & you should be glad she is voicing it & having followers which may cause the airline to change policy or take a look at their negative complaints & correct themselves. Cause Im sure you would have been more angry if they were charging you for a print out of your boarding pass. But no one would care if you cried about it would they?

August 05 2011 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mr. Deejay's comment
Teresa Duffy

I agree, the fact that she is a celebrity she has a better chance to voice her opinnion about Ryanair. She is speaking on behalf of all the passengers who fly Ryanair and are getting charged over the top for fees.

November 02 2012 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beverlymacy

This is Social Influence in real-time! And the brand is radio silent. Unforgivable. The industry Tiger Team I'm putting together will develop new Customer Experience Model (CEM). Interested in participating as a team member or sponsor, please contact me @beverlymacy

June 07 2011 at 10:44 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Michael Jones

I send a letter to Michael O'Leary every time I DON'T fly with the world's worst airline. I only flew with this poor excuse for an airline because it was the only direct flight between Rome and Edinburgh, but never again. Even going through Heathrow is a better option than flying Ryanair. Here is my latest:

Dear Michael,

I always let you know when I have the pleasure of not flying with your dump of an airline. I had the great experience of flying with British Airways on a return flight from Madrid to London. I was able to fly for 100 euro more than a Ryanair flight. And this was travelling in Euroclub class.

In the long run it was probably cheaper and I didn't arrive at my destination stressed and annoyed because:
I was provided with a meal,
I got complimentary drinks,
I arrived at an airport in the same city that I was flying to,
I didn't have to endure in-flight advertising,
I wasn't offended by the hideous cabin design,
I didn't have to pay outrageous transfer fees from airport to final destination,
I could have as much luggage as I wanted
I could book my ticket online in a simple process
I got frequent flyer points,
I was served by friendly BA staff

And best of all I wasn't giving a cent of my money to the world's worst airline, Ryanair.

Yours sincerely,

Michael

June 07 2011 at 5:10 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
andy

Complaining about Ryan Air is like going to the North Pole for vacation and bitchin that it's cold.

Honey, if you are a "singer' you should afford to ride in an airline that isn't bottom of the barrel. If you've been alive for the last 20 years, you know Ryan Air charges for air to breath.

Let me call you a whambulance for bitchin about something thousands of NORMAL people deal with every day. Just because you think you are special and have some twits following you, doesn't mean Ryan air is going to get any more luxurious.

June 06 2011 at 4:03 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
patrickS

In Ryan Air's defense, I've paid 1 euro for a flight. They charge for people doing things like overpacking, not printing boarding passes, and not showing up on time. This is how they keep their cost down, and I was able to fly all over europe for under 100 USD. She should stop complaining and just be more a prepared and smarter traveler.

June 06 2011 at 1:08 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Hensley

It is quite simple. We are all customers using a service. Quit using the service or continue paying. The only way you are going to get any respect from these people is to hit them in the pocket! I also want to know, since they charge additional for large people.... where is my credit for being a small person? It only seems fair that a smaller person should not have to pay as much. Thieves!

June 06 2011 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Koz

Don't fly them any more, that simple.

June 06 2011 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply