Hong Kong on High: Time Lapse Video From Ritz-Carlton - World's Highest Hotel

by Chris Anderson Subscribe to Chris Anderson's posts Posted May 17th 2011 07:50 AM

A A A

The speed and activity of Hong Kong along with the immense scale, and the kinetic energy are often hard to translate to those who haven't been there. Hong Kong is in constant motion and you just want to dive in.

I dove in for two years and loved every minute of my time there. On a recent trip back I visited the Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong, the world's highest hotel. The Ritz is 480 meters high and takes up floors 102 through 118 in Hong Kong's newest skyscraper, the ICC.

The Ritz provided a fantastic platform to shoot from, as blogger Melanie Nayer found out when she attended the opening back in March, 2011.

The segments of this time lapse video were taken from the 111th floor, and from the Ritz's infinity swimming pool on the 118th floor.

In the video you can see Kowloon in the first segment. The second bit shows Kowloon with the main island across Victoria Harbor. The third clip shows ferries zooming around with Sheung Wan in the distance and the fourth is where the main Hong Kong commercial port traffic flows.

Filed Under: Hotel, Video

nev9148

I spent a year at Kai Tak, Hong Kong in 1951/52 when in the Royal Air Force. In 2007 I was invited back by the Man Hong Kong International Literary Festival to speak about my novel, The Rose Of Singapore. What a fantastic change I saw. The people were much better off, but the beautiful countryside, such as at the farming village of Sha Tin, had been tarmacked over and expressways run through it. I could have cried. But in all, Hong Kong is still one of my favourite places in the world. It's very much alive.

May 27 2011 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tonybrklynman

looks like a nice city,and the people are nicer

May 23 2011 at 8:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sfseltzer

Beautiful...

May 23 2011 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kjshaner

I hope Hong Kong is not on the Ring of Fire.

May 23 2011 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamdwngirl

woud like to go there some day soon.

May 21 2011 at 11:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamdwngirl

I would like to visit one day soon.

May 21 2011 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SkeeterBee Goods

What is that beautiful music that is used? Composer or artist and title, please!

May 20 2011 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
geordel

Just see what is possible when man puts his God given energy into construction and not destruction,

May 20 2011 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Silvia

One of the ways I used to describe the energy you find in Hong Kong, after living there for a couple of years, is New York on speed.

One of my favorite cities, incredible engineering, wish I could go back more often!

May 20 2011 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emopunkslut84

Im suprised noone has applied a tilt shift effect to this footage yet.

May 20 2011 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply