'24 Hours of Neon' Shows Las Vegas Time-Lapse (VIDEO)

by Kate Auletta Subscribe to Kate Auletta's posts Posted May 11th 2011 01:00 PM

A A A

Vimeo user Philip Bloom recorded the Strip, the nearby hotel pools, McCarren airport and the mountains surrounding Vegas all from his hotel balcony, 31 stories up in the MGM Signature.

The idea behind the video, Bloom says on his blog, came from the idea that "neon never stops and Vegas is 24-hours a day."

It was, he claims, a more "ambitious" piece than his two previous time-lapse videos: one of the Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour and Harbour Bridge, and one of the Space Needle in Seattle.

In order to get the film he wanted, he booked the room roughly 9 months in advance, requesting a strip view. Though the room turned out to not be so "Strip-y", the room had a balcony, offering expansive views without one focal point in mind.

The problem with shooting in Las Vegas, Bloom mentions, is that the buildings are all very tinted, so it's hard to get a good shot. As a result, he filmed the Strip and the surrounding areas to create a "mish-mash [that gives] you a taste and a flavor of the whole place and the view."

Unlike other time-lapse videos, real world sounds are blended in, from sirens, to planes landing to background noise.

Check out some of our other favorites, including New York in time-lapse; a breathtaking view of the Northern Lights as seen from a Paris-bound plane; cities around the world; not to mention a sort-of time-lapse video of around-the-world trip in 2 minutes.

WATCH below:

24 Hours of Neon from Philip Bloom on Vimeo.

Filed Under: Video, News

Eliot Pearson

That video was amazing. I wonder how much the electric bill for Vegas is per day.

May 15 2011 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cmcclarty

Vegas is not as fun as it used to be.

May 12 2011 at 6:09 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ie41969

Hey Obama fix it, oh I forgot thats a liberal state, oops!

May 12 2011 at 5:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ie41969

Sht the lights off in vegas for 2 days and see how much enegy we save! What a waste, and choking the colorado river for the desert?

May 12 2011 at 5:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SUSAN

I retired here 4 years ago, abolute paradise!

May 12 2011 at 2:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nadadotgem

I can tell that was hours upon hours of video condensed into one pretty amazing production. Excellent work Phillip Bloom. From my experience some of the best views are from the top of the Paris (Eiffel) tower, and from the Foundation Room at Mandalay. With all the new buildings...still my favorite place to stay is THE Hotel. A suite with 1 1/2 baths and the magnificence of a strip view....but still out of the hustle and bustle....is the best room in the city. And around the corner from In and Out Burger. Viva Las Vegas!

May 12 2011 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan and Bonnie

wonder when this was taken..we were there last week...cool photography

May 12 2011 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aromaremedies

Hotels should not look like office buildings..LV is ruined because of some stupid developers trying to build bigger and ruining LV...You used to be able to see the mountains from all hotels now its just a wall of ugly outsized buildings those that did this deserve to lose their shirt here developers have a dirty name

May 12 2011 at 12:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
destin023

I remember my first time out to Vegas yrs. ago. I had a room on the strip & the first night there after a long day of gambling I took time to peer through my window & watch the transformation of dusk into night. It was surreal, almost magical & every single night I made it a point to watch the beauty of the neon take over. The Rio in the distance was a real gem but the entire trip was worth that one moment in time I spent every evening..

May 12 2011 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RYAN

I always have fun in vegas....the only time it was rough that I went was I went in January one time.It never got above freezing the whole time I was there.Remember,vegas is 2500 feet above sea level,its hot as hell in the summer and cold as the north pole in the winter.

May 11 2011 at 10:02 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RYAN's comment
rubytopaz24

It's usually quite pleasant (highs in the 50's and sunny) in Las Vegas during the winter months. We do get a few cold fronts here and there, and it sounds like you were here during one. Best time to visit is right now and late September to early November.

May 12 2011 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply