10 Movies That Inspire Wanderlust (& What To Eat To Get In The Mood) (PHOTOS)

by Kate Auletta Subscribe to Kate Auletta's posts Posted Apr 30th 2011 07:30 AM

A A A

No living, breathing human can watch "Mamma Mia" (tip: try watching on mute) and not yearn to be on an island in Greece.

Few have ever watched "Before Sunrise" and thought, "meh - I guess Vienna's all right." Even "Up in the Air" turned business travel into pleasure travel, letting all work-aholics rejoice in Platinum airline cards.

Movies like these can inspire people to travel to a new country, try a new cuisine, or even just see a favorite city in a new light. Next time the need to travel strikes, try a cheaper solution and screen one of these ten films- complete with food pairings.--Nicole Campoy-Leffler

Text courtesy of The Daily Meal.

Filed Under: Tips & Tricks, Luxury

Kristen M Cope

Eat Pray Love? I have been wanting to finally go to India after watching!

May 27 2011 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sailngr8

Include TWO FOR THE ROAD, a real "oldie" starring Audrey Hepburn Christopher Plummer that has inspired my wife and I to road trip for over four decades.

May 08 2011 at 7:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kimballh53

Most travel has become too cattle car-ish or too expensive.

May 06 2011 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
handsoflight1

What about Enchanted April? 4 bored housewifes circa 1920's decide to rent a villa in Italy too get away from London's damp winter and find themselves in a trip of self discovery.
Or Tea with Mussolini - Cher is caught in prewar Italy with art and a decadent lifestyle. Also just to show I am not all about Italy, how about Leap Year set in Ireland and The Last Emperor set in China. All great visual feasts to be sure.

May 06 2011 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Devlin

I loved lost in Translation. The scene where Scarlett Johannson takes the train and visits the gardens was probably my favorite scene of any mover I have ever seen.

May 06 2011 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
at1313blueview

The Greek Islands are super but Mama Mia was the singularly worst movie that I have ever seen. I'd rather see Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or have my eyes poked out than see that turkey again.

May 05 2011 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
avengergt15

How about considering wanderlust inside the good old US of A? There are a lot of places with a lot of potential experiences right here at home and the money gets spent in the US economy. I've been to Hawaii, California, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Oklahoma, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, West Virginia, Virginia, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Michigan (upper and lower), Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maryland, DC and probably a couple others that I’ve left out. I haven’t even begun to see and experience all that is available right here at home in our 50 states. My wanderlust doesn’t require a passport or going through customs.

May 04 2011 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
franknav1

If Diane Lane was a likely partner I would buy a villa under the Tuscan sun in a nano second!!!

May 04 2011 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
franknav1

If Diane Lane was a potential partner, I would buy a villa under the Tuscan sun in an instant!!!

May 04 2011 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply