Passenger Kicked Off Horizon Air Flight For Being Too Tall

Posted Apr 1st 2011 06:24 PMUpdated Apr 4th 2011 02:14 PM

Horizon Airlines Q400
as737700/Flickr
Horizon Air admits that it removed a 6'9" passenger for being too tall to fit into his seat, upsetting his travel plans and causing him unneeded humiliation.

The incident happened on March 18 on a flight from Portland, Oregon to Ontario, Calif., AOL Travel News has learned.

In a letter, the over-height passenger wrote to Horizon Air, which was sent to the site The Consumerist by his stepdaughter, the passenger states that he tried to get an exit row for additional room, but none were available when he purchased his tickets.

Before his flight, the anonymous passenger made multiple attempts to be placed in an exit row, but instead was told by one customer service agent, that his "long limbs were now the flight attendants' problem."

Once aboard the flight, the passenger had difficulty getting his legs fully out of the aisle. A flight attendant walking by tripped over his legs, demanding he pull them fully into his seat. The passenger calmly explained how he tried to get other accommodations and how the phone operator said it would be the flight attendant's problem.

The flight attendant stormed off before another staff member explained that he must remove his legs from the aisle or leave the flight. Shortly thereafter a third airline official showed up and told the passenger he must get off the plane.

"We apologize for how this situation was handled and compensated the passenger the value of
his ticket off a future flight, which he found acceptable," Horizon Air spokeswoman Bobbie Egan tells AOL Travel News.

This is not the first time an airline has mistreated tall passengers. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) investigated an incident on Spirit Airlines where a tall passenger was forced to stand during his flight, since he couldn't fit in his seat.

PJGRN

I recently flew with my husband and son, who are both 6'2. I'm about 5.5 and not very big. I was pretty comfortable, but my husband and son were totally squeezed into their seats and they're fairly skinny. The seats are just too small.

August 20 2011 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cuervogoldblonde

How about, if you're so tall that you need the extra room, try booking the exit row seat and paying the extra money like everyone else sitting in that row.

I think it's ridiculous that people are paying as much as 60 or 70 bucks more to sit in the exit row, and some people here think it's perfectly fine to kick them out.

Sorry, no. They paid the extra money for the seat. If you want the extra room, then you need to pay the extra money and get yourself an exit row seat as well.

July 31 2011 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
harmonie555

The real problem is that teh airlines, in their efforts to wring every possible penny from their customers, have made the seats too small and squeezed the seating so close together that even an everage sized man is challenged to be moderately comfortable. I am 5'11", 210 pounds... my shoulders are wider than a coach airplane seat.

July 30 2011 at 10:45 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Who Me

Hmmm... how about making airline seats that are comfortable for anyone over 4 ft tall? A little human decency would help everyone!

July 30 2011 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Howard

Here's an idea. Let's kick the 5'8" person out of the exit row. There should be an option for the flight crew to remove a smaller person from the exit row seat and move them to a regular seat. They're going to fit a regular seat however the tall person doesn't have that option. I can sympathize with the flight attendant because it is somewhat of a safety hazard. On the very odd occasion that I have not been able to get the exit row seat, I have encountered the same problem but was lucky enough to have a flight crew that was willing to help find a better solution. I'm 6'10" and if possible I drive everywhere.

July 30 2011 at 8:30 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Howard's comment
cuervogoldblonde

Nope. You can't kick a person out of an exit row seat. They pay more money. Sometimes as much as 60 or 70 dollars extra. So unless you are willing to give that person the extra money they paid for their seat, you don't have a right to throw someone out.

July 31 2011 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cuervogoldblonde's comment
Kate

You do not pay more for an exit row- exit row seating is first come first served at the time of check in.

August 08 2011 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
joshuasiu98

Wow....whats with these flight atendants

July 29 2011 at 10:34 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Sir Flap of Jack

Why are the airlines not FIRING these nazi-like waitresses of the air?

July 29 2011 at 12:36 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
gwen

you've got to be kidding me. the poster you're laughing at so hard your teeth are falling out, was only using basketball as an example of tall people that are well noted and watched daily, and admired-- without being called freaks, usually.

April 04 2011 at 2:37 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Horizon credited him the value of his ticket on a fututre flight. What if he chooses another airline?

I was on a South West flight where the crew went nuts on a passenger for complaining about something. I was not even involved in the situation. That was in the early 1980's. They offered me $50 credit on my next flight and I said keep it. I have never flown South West since.

April 03 2011 at 7:03 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Ed

And you would lose. Just like you have in life. How about getting a better job and flying on a better airline?

April 03 2011 at 6:25 AM Report abuse -7 rate up rate down Reply