Richard Simmons' Air New Zealand Safety Demo

Posted Mar 28th 2011 08:30 AM

richard simmons air new zealand

Getty

God bless Richard Simmons. Not only is the fitness guru still rocking those short-shorts and, oh those sequins, but now he's taking his schtick to the skies.

Simmons stars in Air New Zealand's latest attempt at humor, their in-flight safety demo. In his go-to voice, Simmons asks passengers to "stretch it up" to put their carry-on bags overhead. The poor exercise mavens in the video act out everything from putting on oxygen masks to inflatable baby life preservers.

This isn't the first odd marketing spot from Air New Zealand: Snoop Dogg recently rapped with the airline's mascot.

The airline has had its fair share of controversy over their choice of ads and safety videos in the past, from the ridiculous "cougar" ad of 2010 to their odd ads starring an ill-advised mascot, Rico.

Comments

Robbie

Hey - that's cute! I watched it - and isn't that what the purpose of it is! What fun!

March 28 2011 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ron

If not the stupidest video I've ever seen, it's certainly in the top three.

March 28 2011 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelly

Oh lighten up. That was cute.

March 28 2011 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hydrosrv

This guy (?) has really fallen over the edge!

March 28 2011 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KapenT

Ugh! This is something that would make me want to NOT fly Air New Zealand. I think I will save my money and keep my keester on the ground. Plus why would Simmons make you spend more? There are some great free stuff you can get, no not from him but from HTtP://Bit.Ly/FreebiesHomepage they have all kinds of tools to help you save wherever you are.

March 28 2011 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to KapenT's comment
KapenT

SO SORRY everyone, it's HTtP://Bit.Ly/FreebieHomepage I made a type-o.

March 28 2011 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dirty Coast

As a local New Orleanian I love seeing Richard in anything.

We need to make a DirtyCoast.com shirt about him. That would be a big seller.

March 28 2011 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
frazier.rick

This is awesome! Richard has such great energy. Good for him! I hope I have that much energy and enthusiasm when I'm in my 60's.

March 28 2011 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply