Woman Sued Carnival Claiming Cruise Ship Was Too Fast

Posted Mar 23rd 2011 12:30 PM

carnival suit cruise ship fast

Carnival Cruise Lines

An Indiana woman will not have her day in court, at least in her home state, on claims that as a cruise passenger she became ill because a Carnival Cruise Lines ship was going too fast.

Doris Beard sued Carnival claiming "due to the speed of the ship I became very sick, my body swayed terrible on the ship I had bleeding, which I had not has [sic] in three years. The ship was moving so fast everyone on board became sick, even the workers," according to a court document.

Carnival called for the case to be dismissed, arguing the venue for the suit should be changed to Florida, where the cruise line is based.

The cruise line's motion was denied by a small claims court in Lake County, Indiana. But the Indiana Court of Appeals said this week the small claims court "erred," and has reversed the decision.

Which Carnival ship Beard cruised on and where she took her cruise was not listed in the court document.

The woman first filed her claim in August 2009. The amount she is seeking was not specified.

Carnival argued the terms and conditions of the cruise contract require the case to be heard in Florida. The cruise line also argued Beard's claim was not filed within the one-year statute of limitations in the cruise contract.

A spokesman for Carnival did not respond to a request for further comment.

Suzy Sells Gardner

There is nobody--I mean NOBODY--on this Earth that gets worse motion sickness than I do. I can't take a 5-minute trip in the backseat of a car, or ride anything at the fair that goes in circles, or I start puking.

That said, I've been on 2 cruises and never had ONE MOMENT of motion sickness on either one. I'm guessing Doris is either 1) a little old lady who needs to stick to activities like bingo and knitting rather than the way-too-exciting life of sea travel, 2) a complete idiot, or 3) an attention *****.

May 22 2011 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidsonmeg4

I was just on that ship 2 weeks ago, but we ported in Puerto Rico and went to the US Virgin Islands, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Kitts & St. Maarten and of course the boat rocked, we're on Sea not land you moron! and you can buy sea sick pills on the boat, that's what they are there for, or bring your own gravol if you've never been on a boat before..The ship goes certain knots to get to the next destination and they are not going to go any faster than they should, especially if it happens to rain or pour like it did on our way to Barbados, it rocked all day & night and nobody seemed to mind or get scared..You always port in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and in Puerto Rico for the cruise that I was just on. Which is longer than the other ones..8 days 7 nights! I'd go again in a heartbeat!! it was the greatest time of my life!

May 20 2011 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
missdancealot

loser...you're on a ship...it rocks no matter how fast you go...you're on the ocean...get over it...you shouldn't have gone on a cruise if you weren't prepared for sea sicknes...get over yourself.

May 20 2011 at 2:19 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Picklevalentine

A nut case. Pathetic.

It would have cost the cruise lines less to settle than to hire someone to defend in Indiana, which is why they wanted the venue moved to Florida. Now they can use their in house legal eagles. I think it will cost Doris Beard much more to take the case to Florida, so she will probably just drop it. And that's a good thing.

May 19 2011 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Picklevalentine's comment
davidsonmeg4

They port in Florida, that's where everyone boards the boat. They're not going to board the boat in Indiana just fir her!! So for her to fly to Florida just to try to win this case which she wouldn't is just a waste of everyone's tine!

May 20 2011 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

She probably realized she didn't have the money to pay for the cruise after the fact, and wanted reimbursement.

May 17 2011 at 2:19 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Amanda's comment
davidsonmeg4

Exactly! She probably maxed out her credit cards with the booze cause food is included, so now she wants her money back..She probably thought that the booze was included as well...I guess she got a lemon when she had to pay her bill before she left the ship! lol

May 20 2011 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tjamesohearn

Having spent a career at sea, this sounds ridiculous. Cruise ships are designed to minimize the sensation of movement. They are so large that even the most sensitive person is unlikely to get seasick. Besides which, the faster the ship is moving, the less likely one is to feel the motion of the ocean. On the face of it, it is a ridiculous claim and the cruise line could file a countersuit against her for filing a frivolous law suit.

May 17 2011 at 12:13 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
karssuk

I'm suing them for letting me eat and drink too much!

May 15 2011 at 2:51 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to karssuk's comment
davidsonmeg4

LMFAO!! Now that's hilarious!!

May 20 2011 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gastric Distress

LMAO!! What a stupid woman! It's a shame they let people like this live.

May 14 2011 at 5:34 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Hamilton

I thought that I had heard just about "ALL" the ridiculous "sea stories" possible --but I believe that this just about takes the "cake"---Wonder if she ever heard of "31 knot Burke" of WW-ll fame---see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arleigh_Burke

Signed:--Hap Chandler, USN RET.

May 13 2011 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

SO...."everyone on board became sick...even the workers"....and SHE is the only one suing? What are the odds? The only boat I ever was on that probably went too fast was a small two seater with a motor my friend was steering. I sincerely doubt a big Carnival Cruise could go that fast. Maybe someone should warn first timers (like her friends) to take plenty of motion sickness pills with them, and watch what you eat and drink, and having an empty or full stomach when you take them? Like the people who ignore the safety drill before a plane takes off, then freaks out if there is turbulence and those air bags come down and have NO CLUE how to use them..

May 12 2011 at 2:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply