World's Ugliest Hotels

by Elizabeth Brady Subscribe to Elizabeth Brady's posts Posted Mar 3rd 2011 09:00 AM

A A A

With so many hotel options around the world, architects, designers, and hoteliers face an ever-increasing need to make their properties stand out. Experimenting with modern design, competing in the tallest and biggest race, and pushing limits for construction records can give a hotel extra notoriety and make a hotel a destination in itself for travelers.

But what about when it goes too far, and they end up sticking out like a sore thumb? Ultimately, beauty is in the eye of the beholder – but it's possible for a design to either ever-so-slightly or entirely miss the mark. We give you a sampling of some of the ugliest hotels in the world.

Know of one that's even more hideous? Leave your suggestions in the comments.

Filed Under: Hotel, Best Of

Orlenda

i think the hotel Silken looks like a butterfly!

not sure who would consider the standard a "gem"....thugly place....looks like a retro mental hospital or something....

July 15 2011 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mackadamia

I can see why the author does not like them. Not one looks like a Howard Johnson's. I suppose the idea of calling them ugly was designed to get more people to look, then comment. I am sure as the author goes home to her place in Levittow she will know that distinctive is bad

March 09 2011 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
psyabe

most of these look absolutely normal and some of them actually really good / innovative. Article should be renamed world's strangest / most interesting / oddest / or whatever. Ugliest is not the term

March 09 2011 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sunny

Who makes up these lists??
They are comparing apples to oranges here.
Some of them are ugly yes....but others are just quirky.
Some are just plain amazing.
I think you have to come up with a definition of "ugly" and stop looking for homogenization.

March 09 2011 at 7:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
viaelan15

When I first saw a picture of the Marina Bay Sands I thought it looked terrible. Then when I heard about the skypark I thought that was really cool. But I still think it looks terrible in practice. It's like they were so concerned with the concept of the sky park that they made a great sky park at the expense of everything else.

Ryugyong Hotel is awesome... it's a shame they couldn't have built it in some evil authoritarian country where they could have actually completed it. It's like the perfect place for the Ministry of Truth or something!

Anyway, I agree with a few, whereas I like a few of the others. I like Abraj Al Bait, but it does seem really out of place.

March 08 2011 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WWP

Actually, with the execption of the Standard, which truly is an ugly hotel because it actually no individuality, I thought the rest were not only, not ugly but every intriging. In particular, the Magic Mountain place in Chili looks like somewhere I would check out if I were ever down that way. You can see some other pics here:

March 08 2011 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rileyy

WOOw these are some ugly ass hotels...although the second hotel from ny,ny is actually not that bad. The dog hotel is adorable, but i would never actually pay for that. and the one from slavakia looks like a pile of trash...um ew? HAPPY MARDI GRAS!!! (aka fat tuesday)

March 08 2011 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MICHELLE

These hotels are soo cool! They are unique and a nice change of pace from your average Best Western.

March 08 2011 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JD

Being a commercial artist, I can tell you, it's usually not the artists fault for travesties like these, but the people who commision them. The person with the money, has all the say.

March 08 2011 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lucy

Is this a joke? I kept scrolling up to make sure I read the title right. Ugliest hotels? Most of these are amazing! Who ever wrote this clearly has no personality. And probably lives in one of those large American neighborhoods where every single house looks the same and you can't tell one person from another. Pfft. This article is insulting :P

March 08 2011 at 6:04 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply