I Got Hit for $450 in Phone Data Roaming Charges: What I Learned

Posted Feb 22nd 2011 06:00 PMUpdated Mar 9th 2011 04:38 PM

data roaming charges

Tizana Fabi, AFP / Getty Images

Travelers who use smartphones like the iPhone and the Google Nexus to check their e-mails or find their location on an online map may be slapped with unlimited charges while traveling in Europe and elsewhere. With millions of Americans now carrying Web-enabled phones, travelers are looking for money-saving tips when it comes to data roaming charges. Follow the easy device tips below to make sure you have no nasty phone bills after your vacation.

I speak from personal experience. In summer 2010, I was hit with more than $450 in charges from my wireless provider when I used my iPhone 3GS during a visit to Naples, Italy. My phone burned data even when I wasn't using it. Online functions, like checking e-mail, surfing the Web, and using GPS to find my location on a map, are normally included in data packages for subscribers in the United States. But overseas, it was a different story. My phone was burning a hole in my pocket while I was cluelessly using it to look up information.

"My phone burned data even when I wasn't using it."
I'm not the only American to suffer from "bill shock," though the U.S. government has not reported statistics on how many consumers have been affected. No wireless provider in the U.S. currently caps the data-roaming charges, so the sky's the limit on how much you might have to pay for accidental charges, such as a famous $3,000 bill.

Since last spring, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has been investigating "data-roaming" billing practices by U.S. wireless companies. Consumer advocates hope that the government one day requires companies to deliver "real-time" usage alerts whenever data-roaming happens, following the lead of the European Union, which has already put this law into practice for European citizens. In the meantime, you're on your own.

Learn from my mistake! Here's how to make the right call, so to speak, when traveling internationally.

What Settings to Change

data roaming

Dennis Crowley, Flickr

Switch off data roaming: Before your plane lands in a foreign country, turn off the data roaming option in your phone settings. The average Web page takes 320 kilobytes (KB) of data to download, says a software engineer at Google. Using social media to upload a photo can eat up 500 KB of data, according to AT&T's international data roaming calculator. Given the typical data rate of about $0.0195 per KB, that works out to $6.25 to see one webpage and $9.75 to share a photo with friends. Ouch.

Turn off your GPS service: Sometimes "off" doesn't mean off. Let's say that before you got on a plane, you were using a weather forecast app, a Wi-Fi finder app, and an Internet radio app. But imagine that you stop using these apps when you board the plane and you obediently activate "Airplane Mode" during the flight. Then, once you land, you turn your device back on. Surprise! The apps may start running again in the background, and periodically download data, running up your bill.

Prevent surprise chargess by changing the settings on your device. On iPhones, look for the Location Services option under Settings and switch it off. On Android phones, look for "Security & Location" tab under your device's settings menu, and de-select the "Enable GPS" option.

Turn off your stealth apps: True, when you've turned "data roaming" off, everything is shut down. But let's say you decide to briefly turn on data roaming to send an e-mail or do a quick Web search, accepting that you will be hit with a small charge. Beware! You may also accidentally fire up these other services without knowing it.

Don't get me wrong, though: Data-hogging stealth apps are not a huge problem. Most apps store data locally and do not need to connect to the Internet to work. But many apps that are popular with travelers, such as ones for weather forecasts, currency calculations, and location-plotting tools, generally do need to connect to online to operate. Worse, they usually will not prompt you that they're ringing up data-roaming charges. Use them with caution.

On the iPhone 3GS, for instance, you can double click the home button to see a view of running apps. Little red slashes will appear above each app. Click on the "slash" icon that appears above any app you truly need turn off. On other phones, you may need to hold your finger on the app's icon until an "x" appears to make it disappear.

Droid users should look under Settings for "Accounts and Sync" and then shut down the option worded somewhat like this: "Background data: Applications can sync, send, and receive data at any time." To find instructions for other types of devices, consult with your wireless provider or the site of the device's manafacturer.

Cheaper Ways to Use Your Smartphone Overseas

Buy a data plan when visiting Canada or Mexico: Wireless providers have done a good job of offering reasonable-rate, international data plans for visiting Canada and Mexico. For a set fee, you can reduce the per-minute rate for using data in these countries. For example, Verizon Wireless has a data plan for traveling to Canada that, for $30 for one month, lets you download data at only $0.002 per KB -- or about a tenth the per KB cost of downloading data without the plan.

Use Wi-Fi when using an app like Skype to make international calls: The cheapest way to call home from abroad is to use a voice-over Internet protocol (VoIP) app, such as the Skype for iPhone app and the Skype mobile app for Android. (No headset or microphone necessary.) But use it in a Wi-Fi hotspot, such as at your hotel, rather than face roaming charges for roaming on a wireless provider's data connection.

Give up looking for the equivalent of a pre-paid card for data roaming: To be sure, if you have an unlocked phone, you can buy a local SIM card to make calls within the country cheaply. But SIM cards rarely include a Web data options, and the few pre-paid card solutions for data usage usually require following instructions that are nearly incomprehensible that they're not recommended.

Filed Under: Tips & Tricks

VeronicaM

The tips are useful, thanks for these. The 450usd is absolutely crazy...
I have some expirience of using a prepaid roaming cards, seems like an optimal solution for me - the rates seem affordable, the data service is under control since the phone isn't going to be upgrading by itself, plus the additional services like conference call of personal assistant (used the PA myself once when I got lost in Birmingham, these guys actually helped me find a way), so I'd definetely recomend using those.
P.s. my card is a TravelSim, the webpage could be googled if anyone's interested

October 29 2013 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carmela

I am dealing with the same issue with T-mobile during my trip to Mexico. They couldnt tell me the actual charges yet until my new billing cycle but I received a text while I was there that I have reached $500 of data usage and roaming. How did you deal with T-mobile? I refused to pay for this much money.

October 01 2013 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aegis42

Got ya'll beat. Within 2 days, of not using our cell phone, but just had them on, it totaled over $2000.00. We went to the Bahamas for our anniversary, and only kept our phones on for emergency. I spoke to Verizon, they told me about the roaming charges, I just told her we would not use them only for emergencies, she never told me that we would still be charged for roaming if we had them on and didn't use them.

September 10 2011 at 7:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave

Better suggestion just stay home.

March 09 2011 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
inglo222

I DO HAVE A GREAT IDEA I HAVE AN iPHONE AND I DO TRAVEL, BUT I LEAVE MY PHONE AT HOME (NEW YORK) WITH A NEW VOICE MESSAGE AND MY OTHER NUMBER WERE AM AT SO ANY ONE CAN REACH ME. thank you.

March 09 2011 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
idca

last wk my daughter went too sidney. wow we got hit with a 300.00 bill . i went nuts called at&t i was lucky they gave me credit .my daughter bought a fone there for like 30.00 bucks.have too be careful fone company charge for anything and everything,

March 09 2011 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Davidbiz0303@aol.com

How come you get charged for the GPS? That shouldn't use data in itself. It's simply grabbing a fix from satellites...there shouldn't be any data exchanged per se... should there?

March 09 2011 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAMIE MAE STONE

INTRODUCING GLOBALINX® MOBILE: NEW 3G/Wi-Fi APPLICATION

Now you can enjoy all of the benefits of GLOBALINX® on your iPhone or iPod Touch with GLOBALINX® Mobile!

GLOBALINX® Mobile is a cool new VoIP app that enables you to make and receive calls over a 3G or Wi-Fi connection on your iPhone or iPod Touch. GLOBALINX® Mobile helps overcome issues of poor cellular service quality or dead spots by allowing you to make calls wherever Wi-Fi is accessible.

Plus you get FREE GLOBALINX® to GLOBALINX® calling worldwide and lower international rates than cellular carriers provide. It’s convenience and savings all in one!

Getting started is quick and easy. Simply download the GLOBALINX® Mobile app from the iTunes App Store, sign up for service and you’re off and running!

The GLOBALINX® Mobile app is just $4.99 and was designed with our customers in mind, to provide additional value and flexibility to their service. Users take advantage of international calling rates as low as $.015 per minute to many popular international calling destinations around the globe or customers can choose a plan that includes 75 countries for one low monthly price.

Get the GLOBALINX® Mobile app on your iPhone or iPod Touch and start saving! Visit your Virtual Office or use these links for more details: Overview , Pricing, & Sign Up Process! Use # L143999

GLOBALINX - L143999
Mamie Mae Stone
Independent Representative

March 09 2011 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I had the same problem when in the UK I went there for two months October and November last year. And even buying a data plan from AT&T they assured me that it would cut the cost down,,, It didn't. My October bill was $648 Dollars and November bill
$500 Dollars. Upon calling AT&T they gave me the run around and only got a small refund.

Be aware that if you take your iphone to the UK they do not have the infrastructure as in the States and many times you do not get a signal. And your carrier is switched around example Orange, T mobile ect.

The next time I go to the UK I'm leaving my iphone at home and buying a cheap phone there and pay as you go.

John

March 09 2011 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porthole

I got a huge bill from my provider when I took my phone overseas. I never used the phone except to occassionally look at the e-mails and text messages. I got hit with a $700.00 bill and when I came back and called the provider, the company rep. told me that I am responsible for all the calls that came to my phone even if I did not answer them, as the calls went to my voice mail. SOMETHING NEED TO BE DONE ABOUT THIS. IT IS PURE RIP OFF. The providers must explain not only in black and white about this charges to the customers, but they must tell their sales rep. to explain to the subscribers that when they take the phone out of the country, they may be hit with roaming charges even when their phones are off.

Thanks.