Cruise Passengers Get Rocked by Stormy Weather and Rough Seas [video]

Posted Feb 15th 2011 04:27 PMUpdated Apr 18th 2011 12:58 PM

Cruise Passengers Rocked on Rough Seas

Screencapture from video posted by lolburgersaretastey

Cruising is a way of travel that is loved by some and hated by others. Many call these floating cities a Walt Disney World on the high seas. It's where passengers have everything they need from pools and shows to buffets and casinos.

For those that are not too familiar with cruising, there is a peak season and an off-season for cruising. The off-season is typically referred to as hurricane season and runs from June 1st until November 30th. As one would assume, off-season means great cruise deals but also runs the risk of stormy seas.

Today's video shows just how bad the rough seas can get. Watch as these passengers get rocked (literally). If there's one thing you learn from watching this, it's to make sure and purchase travel insurance. You never know what can happen on your cruise adventure.

Beware, if you're not a fan of high-energy rave music, turn your volume down. The music really doesn't lend much to the video. If you're impatient like me, skip to the following points.

00:44: A little taste of the action
04:08: Time to slip and slide. The action really picks up.

If you know of a travel or destination related video you would like to share, leave a comment or tweet me at @patrickObatu. You may find it as our next Video of the Day.

Have you experienced rough seas on a cruise?
Yes, and it made me sick to my stomach.1812 (26.3%)
Yes, but it wasn't too bad.3200 (46.5%)
No, and I hope I don't ever experience it.1868 (27.2%)

Don Whiteley

Crossing from New Zealand to Antarctica, on an ice breaker (no stablizers and rounded hull) we ran into a hurricane. 40 foot waves, lots on rolling 25 degrees each way and only a few seconds between rolls to left and then right. Could not sleep, had to sit on my bunk with back against the wall and feet against a suitcse raced against the opoosite wall. My roomate got thrown out of his bunk along with the board that was supposed to keep him in. Got great video of people trying to get breakfast and of seas splashing aginst portholes 60 ft above the water.

February 16 2011 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William Liddle

I served on a fleet oiler in the Tonkin Gulf during the Vietnam War and remember refueling destroyers that were alongside, no more than 100 feet away from us, and you couldn't see them because of the heavy seas. What the ship in the video is going through is like being in a bath tub compared to the South China Sea.

February 16 2011 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cricketd

what the hell happened to the dude that went flying with the computer monitor?...I never saw him again.

February 16 2011 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
henry sena

i was in hurricane andrew and the ship rocked but nothing that could not be handled. my wife who has good sealegs got a little quasy.

February 16 2011 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stacy

AOL, once again an incomplete story.
What boat?
Where?
Isn't this story old?
Please AOL get it together. I really love using you and I don't want to leave.

February 16 2011 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sun

The one cruise in Itlay! Man poor people there on that ship.

February 16 2011 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sun

Wow!! Glad that no one is hurt badly but it's amazing to see stuffs went go that way and another way!

February 16 2011 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Les

On a hurricane's edge once on one of the old 25,000
ton ships; moved around a bit. But,nothing like being on a Navy DE in a hurricane off Hatteras in
45/50' waves for 3 days!!!! Oh, my!

February 16 2011 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elorac

What an experience! I don't know if I would ever want to take another cruise after such a voyage! I'm sure you will never forget it, nor will those who were on the same trip.

February 16 2011 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elorac

don't know how large a ship this was; however, stabilizers were obiously not functioning properly. They usually work very well; the "up and down" motion is not really controllable but the side to side is. Our ship hit some rough weather and alot of passengers were sick but I did not witness any serious injuries or stuff being tossed around like this video. I would have grabbed onto a pole to avoid being thrown around as several passengers were here.

February 16 2011 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply