TSA Screening Supervisor Admits to Stealing from Passengers

Posted Feb 15th 2011 12:30 PMUpdated Feb 15th 2011 12:40 PM

A Transportation Security Administration (TSA) airport screening supervisor at Newark Liberty International Airport has admitted to taking kickbacks from a subordinate who stole cash from airline passengers.

Michael Arato, 41, admitted in federal court he was involved in stealing from passengers going through security screening at the New Jersey airport's Terminal B. He was arrested for the crimes in October.

Prosecutors say Arato and his screener co-worker stole $10,000 to $30,000 in cash from passengers' carry-on bags over a period of 13 months. As the boss, Arato made his subordinate give him a kickback on anything the man stole.

The two screeners reportedly targeted their victims, who were mostly non English-speaking women flying home to India.

The men were blatant in their thievery, even splitting up the cash in front of airport security cameras, according to authorities.

The other screener, who has not been named, cooperated with the investigation.

Arato faces a maximum of 15 years in prison at his sentencing on May 24.

L.A. is Best

TSA agents are low life anyway. Most of them can't get real jobs so they work or.....paid to show up and then steal or scam or anything but work. Now Barry what's his face wants to hire another 5,000 TSA leeches!!

February 17 2011 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
georgr

hey that was the guy that tickled my scrotal area when i went to bermuda!

February 16 2011 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Instead of Prison, how about taking them up in a plane and drop them, say from 5 Thousand feet or so. If they can walk after they are dropped, the charges can be dropped.

If they go splat, no more expense involved, plus the neighborhood animals will do the cleanup!

Film it, and it can be real Reality T. V. None of the fake shit that is on every night !!!

February 16 2011 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justmeok

TSA workers are the BIGGEST wastes of space there is! They are lazy, rude, and unprofessional. They make good money to sit on their butts in food courts at airports all across the nation day in and day out, everyday. They harrass people, they talk about their personal lives in front of passengers and half the time they aren't paying attention. FIRE THEM ALL and lets begin again. Preferably using people who made it past the 7th grade!

February 16 2011 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EZKEP

I flew out of Des Moines,Iowa early one morning heading to Mexico. Had new 8 oz. tube of suntan lotion in carry-on. was told i could check in baggage at main desk if wanted. Chose not to at that time but went back 5 minutes later to retrive lotion and big woman said she threw in plastic bucket already. I asked to pick it out, she said could not once it was thrown in. There was no-one in airport and no security breach, but laziness from employee kicked in. I lost $8.00 due to a fat woman wishing to just show her authority. She probably took lotion home that evening.Tsa sad in Des Moines.

February 16 2011 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
frankerin

And they want to be unionized, and there are some in the Obama admin who agree. It is already a boondoggle, and it continues to be a haven for thieves. The multicult, minority, even foreign screeners are dangerous, and with some of them it is a chance to get back at whitey and the world. Have you ever seen a bare arm wanded? The idiot doing should have been fired.

February 16 2011 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stacy

Oh WOW! Theres a surprise.

February 16 2011 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LM

WOW, and when I think that I applied for this position years back, the BS they put me thru to see if I had what it took to be a TSA employee, I mean I had to go to this hotel over a 2 week span and complete test after test & perform all these ridiculous exercises & then I got to the end, after being told during all this I was doing very well, that I 'wasnt TSA material, thanks & there's the door". i am so glad I didnt get this lousy job but look at the DISHONEST jerks that they did deem worthy of holding the position! Geez!!

February 16 2011 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BraceWinslow

I had a camera taken off the conveyor belt by a TSA employee in Chicago. The other employees saw her take it. I reported it and nothing was done. I lost the camera.

February 16 2011 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leon

Oh go ahead and cry you cry baby. You lost your fishing pole. sob
sob.