Man Arrested in USVI for Dealing Drugs on Cruise

Posted Feb 12th 2011 09:30 AMUpdated Feb 14th 2011 01:48 PM

A California man was arrested in the U.S. Virgin Islands after federal agents searched his cabin onboard what was billed as the "world's largest gay cruise" and found a plethora of party drugs that he was allegedly selling to fellow passengers.

Steven Barry Krumholtz, 51, of West Hollywood was busted aboard Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas as the cruise ship was docked in St. Thomas, a Customs and Border Protection spokesperson says in a statement to AOL Travel News.

Krumholtz was allegedly taking orders for ecstasy, ketamine, or Special K, and methamphetamine from passengers before the cruise set sail from Florida on Feb. 6, federal officials say.

His cabin on the ship was raided after a passenger was found with drugs and told investigators that he had purchased them from Krumholz, according to a search warrant affidavit.

As federal agents searched Krumholz's cabin, they heard a knock on the door and found two men who wanted to buy drugs, Customs and Border Protection officials say.

Along with the drug stash, agents recovered $51,000 in cash.

Krumholz was detained in St. Thomas on charges of possession with intent to sell.

Defense attorney Gabriel Villegas declined to speak with reporters Friday, telling the Associated Press he had not yet reviewed all the case files.

Royal Caribbean says it has a zero-tolerance policy for drugs at sea.

"We take various steps to prevent the transport of illegal narcotics,'' says Royal Caribbean spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez. "Royal Caribbean cooperated fully with authorities during this investigation and will continue to provide law enforcement with any assistance they may need."

There were 5,4000 passengers aboard the cruise ship, which had been chartered by Atlantis Events, which specializes in organizing events for the gay and lesbian community. The itinerary included stops in Nassau, Bahamas, St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

The Allure of the Seas is the largest cruise ship in the world. Atlantis has also chartered the ship for another cruise in 2012.

Photo Atlantis Events/Royal Caribbean

Comments

Dana

kevin you babbeling idiot

February 16 2011 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dana

kevin you babbeling idiot

February 16 2011 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dana's comment
kevin

Dana .. your a hateful slag, no wonder nobody wants you

February 16 2011 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevin

I don't understand how some many so-called Jesus loving christians say hateful about people Jesus never said hate neither did god. I agree this guy was wrong to try and sell those drugs on the ship, not all gay men and woman are into that stuff. I'm straight and married to my wife, who I met through my uncle who's husband is my wife's uncle. My uncle raised me when both my parents went to prison for drug dealing when I was 8 years old. My uncle and his partner of 35 years are great people, they both took me in when my other so-called Jesus loving relatives wouldn't. Thanks to these two great guys I have a much better life, alot better than I would have had with my drug dealing parents. Oh just to let some people know my mother beat the crap out of me all the time because she was on crack and my father didn't give a shit about me, but I guess because their straight they have the right to have and raise kids ( I don't think so ). Thanks to these two great guys who I love I have had so far the best life a kid could have. My uncle is a banker and his partner who I call uncle is a lawyer and have never done drugs before. But I guess you so-called Jesus loving Christians think and feel because their gay they must be perverts. To all you bible thumpers out there remember something ... you will be judged yourselves so becarefull of your your own words and actions.

February 15 2011 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kevin's comment
trainwreck

Judge not lest ye be judged.

March 16 2011 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AndrewT

You high and mighty Jesus folk need to stuff a sock in it. Nobody cares what you think. And stop putting words in God's mouth. Your feelings have nothing to do with God, you just hate gay people.

Christians are so transparent.

February 15 2011 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
loxi143

lol your a crazy christian clearly. Has your husband been cheating on you with men lately?

February 15 2011 at 2:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Drug abuse is also very rampant amongest the Gay Community. Many thought the police will not enter the gay establishment due to the fact that police do not want be labeled anti-gay for raiding gay bars for drugs. Since I have been to many VIP rooms in the gay bars, there are many drugs that are so readily available that is absolutely hazardous to your health so I personally welcomed law enforcement agents to enter the those establishments that allow these dangerous substance to cease. It also bring in criminal elements and many of these drug sellers aren't gay either. I am glad that the cruise line is doing something about this.

February 15 2011 at 2:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jimmy's comment
loxi143

Drug abuse is rampant period! HAHA why don't you include everyone else who you don't like?

February 15 2011 at 2:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sfkendoll

Just what the hell do you think goes on in the VIP rooms of "straight" clubs? They're not just drinking diet cokes in there. Stop demonizing an entire group here. Straights do drugs...and yes, buy drugs on cruise ships. At least no one was thrown overboard...which seems common on the "straight" cruises.

February 15 2011 at 3:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

How many is 5,4000?

February 15 2011 at 1:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevin

Hey Sandy ... Jesus kissed men, does that mean he's a fag too ? Just wondering something you preach the bible, you forget thought the bible says a woman may not speak to a man or in public unless she is with her father or husband and has permission. Who gave you permission to speak on here ?

February 15 2011 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevin

doedill7 ... maybe you should think what you say before typing, now lay off the booze

February 15 2011 at 1:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ms

why don't you get off your narrow minded high horse and stop judging others. It's haters like you that make life more difficult for all.

February 15 2011 at 1:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply