Tourist Attacked By Shark In Cancun

Posted Feb 1st 2011 10:56 AMUpdated Feb 1st 2011 11:29 AM

A Canadian tourist suffered a severed arm as the result of a shark attack Monday while swimming near a hotel in Cancun, Mexico.

Officials say the 38-year-old woman, identified in some reports as Nicole Ross and in others as Nicole Ruth, also suffered serious injuries to her left leg.

"A female shark attacked and left her badly hurt," Mario Castro, head of the local civil protection office, told the El Diario del Yucatan newspaper.

Ross was reportedly swimming about 50 feet from shore with companions when she encountered the shark.

The medical director of a private hospital where Ross was treated, Dr. Italo Sampablo Lauro of Hospiten, called such a shark attack "exceptional" and rare in Cancun.

"We've not had this kind of incident here previously," he said.

According to news agency Notimex, there was a shark attack near Cancun in 2008 which claimed the life of a local man.

Sharks are a tourist attraction at the Mexican resort, with tours taking visitors to swim with
non-threatening bottom-feeding nurse sharks and to observe the creatures from Plexiglass cages.

It's believed the shark that attacked Ross was female and had come close to shore to give birth. The type of shark involved in the incident had not been determined.

Comments

vtpiggybarbie@gmail.com

Unfortunately this attack caused 70 bull sharks to be slaughtered, and probably more since then. Cancun is the cash cow of Mexico and this type of bad press is not something the Mexican Government wants. Fishermen were given authority to go out and kill as many sharks as possible. It is a sickening knee jerk reaction to a rare occurrence!

March 29 2011 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Moss Limbayter

The hype mongers are hard at work, she did not lose an arm or a leg, or any other limb.

Dr. Italo Sampablo, the medical director of Hospiten Cancún, said she lost “a large amount of blood” in the attack, which severed muscles, tendons and nerves to her lower leg, forearm and hand.

February 04 2011 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Art

It's George Bush's fault.

February 04 2011 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RS

STAY...OUT...OF...THE...OCEANS. We are not fish, dolphins, whales, seals, etc. - we are land-dwelling bipeds without any protection whatsoever from the ocean's dangers. It's not our home.

February 03 2011 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RS

And this is why I don't swim in the ocean. I know shark attacks are rare, but I don't want to risk becoming some sea creature's meal. I refuse to. And my phobia started when I was a kid vacationing in VA. We were staying at this one town, and as we were heading to the local carnival, my mom shouted to my dad "PULL OVER !" We pulled over, got out and saw this guy's jeep with an 8ft lemon shark drapped over the back of it. He caught it while fishing, not far from where my brother and I had been swimming that afternoon, and said there had been 2 more out there just like it only bigger. Because of that, and my mom buying me a book on shark attacks, I now permanently stay out of the ocean. If I can't see what's coming at me, then I want no part of it.

February 03 2011 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RS's comment
RS

I totally agree with you. If you want to swim, go to a lake or pool.

February 03 2011 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tessa rose

Heartfelt condolences to the victim. All of the published info point to a bull shark. Shallow, warm water, unprovoked and multiple wounds. Bulls are found worldwide, even hundreds of miles up fresh water river systems in the temperate zones. Maybe a tiger, but I'd put my money on a bull. Terrible tragedy, and a long life changing recovery ahead. It is amazing that she even lived. Thoughts and prayers to you.

February 02 2011 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cqdeed

While swimming in the ocean you are not the apex predator you are on land. Be smart about that fact or be bait.

February 02 2011 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A.D.

Serves them right for being Canadian.

February 02 2011 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JERRY

It seems that nothing and nowhere is safe or free from tragedy, imagine going on a vacation and coming back minus a arm, is there anywhere safe.

February 02 2011 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JERRY's comment
Dan

there is no place safe, we only think we are safe at home because it is what we are used to. The west coast has fire, earthquakes, bear, wolves, cougars and sharks. The SE has hurricanes, sharks and alligators. The NE has bitter cold, bear, cougars and sharks. The midwest is a hurricane and wild fire nightmare. Africa is lions, sharks, crocodiles and other beasts. Australia is sharks and crocodiles. Russia is bear, tigers and wolves. The entire middleeast is full of muslims trying to kill everyone. Europe is probably the safest place to vacation and even they have muslim problems as well as sharks. Central and South America is full of disease and crocodiles.

February 02 2011 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
florestresfores@aol.com

would be nice if they mentioned what hotel she was swimming by.

February 02 2011 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to florestresfores@aol.com's comment
Michelle

Yeah, going to Cancun next month. Wish they said what hotel it was near. I think I'll stick to the pools

February 02 2011 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply