Waldorf-Astoria Faces Third Bedbug Lawsuit

Posted Jan 6th 2011 12:51 PMUpdated Jan 7th 2011 01:19 PM

In a story that just won't go away, the famed Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York City is facing a third lawsuit over bedbugs, according to The Gothamist.

Svetlana Tendler is the latest guest to sue the historic hotel. The doctor, who is currently stay-at-home mom, claims she was bitten in 2007, but was hoping the hotel would settle out of court. She is now seeking $10 million in compensation, citing "prominent" scarring and a fear of going to hotels.

"For the last three years I tried to recover from the bed bugs incident and forget about it," Tendler says. "But I felt like something very important was taken from my life that night and was never returned. I felt like I was eaten alive by bed bugs which have attacked my body."

According to the lawsuit, Tendler suffered red, swollen and itchy welts all over her body, resulting in an allergic reaction which caused "a serious infection and significant prominent scarring." The treatments were costly and Tendler wants the hotel to foot the medical bills and the plastic surgery she wants.

She'll have to get in line.

As reported in AOL Travel News in November, Christine Drabicki and her husband, David, from Plymouth, Michigan also filed a lawsuit.

The Drabickis, who stayed at the Waldorf-Astoria in May, claim they noticed bedbug bites after their first night at hotel and subsequently the bedbugs followed them home. The family was forced to vacate their home for six weeks, hire an exterminator and discard or disinfect 1,000 pounds of clothing.

According to the lawsuit filed in state Supreme Court, their two daughters also fell victim to the outbreak, and one of the girls suffered an allergic reaction. The family, who said the bedbug infestation "wreaked havoc on us," is seeking an unspecified amount as "reasonable compensation."

Susanne Igneri from Nassau County, New York, is yet another guest who has sued the hotel.

The complaint states that personal damages in the home, for pest extermination, cleaning and loss of personal property, amount to more than $13,000. In addition, the lawsuit claims that her six-year-old daughter Sophia suffered "permanent scarring to her face, legs, stomach, groin and body" and "psychological and emotional injuries, anxiety and disordered sleep" requiring medical and psychological treatment.

"The kid was having nightmares. It's like monsters under the bed," Igneri's lawyer tells the Journal. A pediatrician confirmed that Sophia had been bitten by bedbugs.

Crissy

I have been dealing with a bed bug infestation at my new apartment for over a month now. It can really screw with your mind..i have to sleep with the lights on and the only thing I own now is an air mattress. My neighbors and I had to burn everything! I believe compensation is due but 10 million is too much to ask for from anybody!

April 13 2011 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mikio067

Wanna bet that part of her plasic surgery will include nice, new (fake) tits.

January 11 2011 at 9:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
misterrichards

being a bed bug sucks as well btw, according to atom.com http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/anything_bedbug/

January 08 2011 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kerry

I can understand the significance of a large legal award against a company as a deterrent for providing unsafe conditions or products. If there are no consequences, they have no impetus to behave properly.

However, I have long thought that the plaintiff in a case should only receive reasonable compensation for medical bills or lost wages. All the additional extra millions should go toward a related charity or institution. For example, in this case maybe the extra money should go to a homeless shelter. Or the McDonald's hot coffee case should have had the extra go to a burn treatment center.

It gets the message across to the corporation, fairly compensates the plaintiff, and helps others in the process.

January 07 2011 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

if you have not been in this situation, don't judge. It is really mind-altering. I don't know if worth 10,000,000 but neither do you.

January 07 2011 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

I think some of you have missed one very important point.

The hotel should know or should have known the presence of bedbugs. That is their
job to keep up on this type of infestation. Therefore, we (meaning all of the people booking rooms) have a right to expect a clean and bug free environment. The fact that this is a historic hotel compounds the offense.

As far as a lawsuit, it exposes the hotel to all possible tourists

January 07 2011 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabella

Lets face it !!! 10 million dollars for what she "suffered", is a ridiculous lawsuit !!! This is one of the reasons that our insurance rates are so high, because of greedy lawyers, willing to sue for these amounts, and greedy people looking to make big bucks !!! I can understand them being upset, as I would be too, but to sue for these astronomical amounts is totally over the top !!!!!!!!!!

January 07 2011 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bubbles

GREEDY TRAMP, GET A JOB AND STOP STEALING FROM THE WALDORF

January 07 2011 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bobcheesedoodle

Just reading this article has traumatized me. I'm going to have to sue the hotel for 20 million dollars.

January 07 2011 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alice

My husband and I wanted to drive the Skyline Drive from WV to North Carolina and called a hotel/motel to stay at half way in Waynesboro, Va. We looked on the AAA site for a hotel room and they had a warning about bed bug infestation at more than one hotel. That was enough to change our mind about traveling and later were told the bed bugs came from people who never traveled in past years but now because of that Obama guy, his people are using their stimulus money to travel and try to look like big shots. Many people do not know that Obama gave his people a lot more monry than we received.

January 07 2011 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply