Traveler Busted At Airport Says Heroin Was For Grandmother

by Libby Zay
Posted Dec 29th 2010 12:08 PMUpdated Dec 29th 2010 03:08 PM

An air traveler caught trying to smuggle $50,000 worth of heroin into the country told customs officials the drugs were for his ailing grandmother.

The Free Press reports customs inspectors at Detroit Metro Airport found two pill bottles full of 490 heroin tablets in the luggage of Steven Patong Thao, 53.

A criminal complaint filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Detroit says Thao had a layover in Detroit on Sunday while in transit from Narita, Japan to his home state of Oklahoma.

Opinion: Thao is...
The world's best grandson. 413 (11.5%)
The world's worst liar.769 (21.5%)
In need of a lawyer.2399 (67.0%)
When the drugs were discovered, Thao initially told agents he had a prescription and presented a false document for the pills. According to the complaint, Thao said his nephew bought the capsules for him at a clinic in Laos, where his trip originated, for his diabetes and high blood pressure.

After the drugs tested positive for opium, authorities pressed Thao further by informing him heroin distribution is a serious crime in the U.S.

"Am I really going to jail? ... What can I do to help myself?" Thao asked. After investigators told him to just be honest, Thao said the pills were a form of pain relief for his grandmother.

After being released on a $10,000 bond, Thao is headed back to Oklahoma. He is due back in Michigan for a court hearing at the end of January.

midnight of hate

This whole thing of trying to demonize people for what they would like to ingest is stupid and ignorent. Alcohol is by far the worst drug known to man but I dont see people arresting a sole for it.As they shouldnt we have laws that if a person drives under the influence they are arrested and dealt with.I dont care what people ingest as long as they do not affect me their body their right.And we have laws that protect me from being robbed and assulted already on the books.I hear that argument from the abortion folks their body their rights? And were are talking bout ending a life not ingesting a mood altering substance.Instead we criminalize these things create a black market for criminals to profit and create agencies that routinly trample on the bill of rights. Makes no sense and is rather stupid!
I Just HAD to REPOST!

January 25 2011 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy

There are junkies and liars. But I believe Mr. Thao is telling the truth and his grandmother is not a junkie. In his culture and considering his flight originated from Laos, which is a very common place and homeland for a man of his ethnicity to visit, the laws are not common and a very obvious culture divide. If you know anything about third world countries drugs that are illegal here in the U.S. is not illegal or as highly penalized in third world countries. Mr. Thao was probably not aware of the contents he was carrying and I don't believe he had any intention of distributing them. Although his answer of "they're for my grandmother" may seem as a bad 'excuse' to people who don't understand his cultural background, in all honestly according to his culture its very common to find remedies (not a drug) for their elders. Its very hard to explain this to those of you who are not familiar with the Mr. Thao's cultural views and most of you will probably not understand..it's worth a try.

January 14 2011 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smoothoperator

The wall of purification should be his destiny. This wall is reserved for all drug users and comes with a 21 gun salute.(firing squad for those from rio linda or WPB) It permanently cures all addiction problems...

December 31 2010 at 7:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
okmelanie

funny. We caught my stepson with pot seeds, buds and a homemade pipe in his room and he tried to tell us it was for his grandma too. We didn't beleive it either. Although his great aunt did, how dumb can ya get?

December 29 2010 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
E. Martinez

What's crazy is.... Methadone (sp?), the legal form of Herion, is actually used to treat chronic pain however, I've never heard of anyone using Herion itself. LOL

Nice try Bub but I think you best lawyer up!! That's what I'd be doing if I was in his shoes. Damn, you just can't make these stories up, can you?? LOL

December 29 2010 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
whiskeyrr

December 29 2010 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to whiskeyrr's comment
gayle

He's 53 and his grandmother is still alive and she's a junky?!!! WOW!!!

December 29 2010 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply