Yucky Secrets in Australian Hotels

by Libby Zay
Posted Dec 14th 2010 11:15 AMUpdated Dec 14th 2010 02:18 PM

A secret forensic survey revealed some five-star hotels in Melbourne, Australia have a serious hygiene problem.

Armed with swab tests and a black light, former police forensic investigator Peter Guerin scrutinized seven of Melbourne's top hotels. What he found was nauseating: mold in bathrooms, urine stained toilets, human body matter in beds, and even strains of dangerous bacteria such as E coli.

None of the hotels passed inspection. In every hotel tested, Guerin found an "unacceptable level" of potentially health-threatening microbes.

"The study's results were stomach-churning," says Guerin to Australia's Herald Sun.

"In one hotel bed I found a dozen pubic hairs and in another I found what appeared to be semen stains. Most rooms had urine splashes on their toilets, mold in their bathrooms and infectious bacteria was rife," Guerin continues.

Watch the forensics expert as he investigates:

The Liquor Hospitality and Miscellaneous Union, one of the largest unions in Australia, commissioned Guerin to carry out the survey. According to the union, hotel staff claimed they were being forced to cut corners because the workers were not being given adequate time to clean rooms--in some cases just 15 minutes.

For legal reasons, none of the hotels have been identified.

d

Every time I stay in a Motel or Hotel the first thing I do is clean the room from top to bottom! I carry my cleaning supplies with me! I rip off the comforter and sheets and inspect them myself to make sure they're clean. If there is a laundry facility onsite I take the comforter and put it in the laundry. I don't have the cleaning ppl come in during my stay. I clean the room myself and know it's clean. Btw, Never use straight alcohol on the remote! It turns it white! Use Purell hand sanitizer. Rather than waste my time complaining about cleanliness I take care of the problem myself.

December 19 2010 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TKO

It's the same in a lot of restaurants without table cloths. The waitperson or busperson wipes the table off with a wet dirty rag they have used on all the other tables again and again and then puts down your napkin and silverware YIKES!!! Talk about a germ stew.

December 19 2010 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jaba

One of the problems with hotels in the U.S. is that they are now managed by people from foreign countries. I don't know how many MAJOR CHAIN hotels I've stayed in where they're managed by people from India. They have their entire family living there, dozens of people, who fill up the breakfast bar, leaving no room for paying guests. They are the dirtiest people on the planet and the ones who are supposedly "cleaning" the rooms. Enough said!

December 19 2010 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jaba's comment
valeriejacks

I work for a MAJOR CHAIN hotel. our owners do not live in the hotel. Our executive house keeper, in addition to checking the rooms for cleanliness, does help to clean the rooms. Our General Manager and Front Desk manager also inspect the rooms on a weekly basis for such things as mold and mildew and disrepair. We are inspected once to twice a year by the brand inspector, even though we are independently owned and operated. While many of our housekeeping staff do not speak english, they do a wonderful job cleaning and if any guest has a complaint about the cleanliness of the room it is addressed immediately by either our housekeeping staff if available or by the manager on duty for the day (not necessarily the housekeeping manager, but ANY manager available.) Plus if the complaint comes in at night the front desk person is trained to respond to the complaint.

December 19 2010 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Abby

Slow week on AOL? This article, word for word, was posted just a few weeks ago.

December 19 2010 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yachtstandard

I work at an agency in NYC, where most of the women are immigrants, some I suspect are illegal from both Latin American and more from Eastern Europea such as Poland. I've worked with some of these women where most were pretty bad at cleaning.

I understand that most of us are NOT able to clean every thing within a short amount of time (since most of these agency owners are SLEAZY men who know nothing about cleaning other than how to make a quick buck off cheap labor). But at least the imporant areas like bath and kitchen are done well by me and maybe one other person who works with me....I've talked to the owner about these issues with the lack of cleaning (some who even use the same rags from toilet to countertop) and what sleazy management has done in reacting to my claims (including dealing with sleazy and immature so called "assistants") is less hours. Yet when they're in a bind especially for hard to clean to jobs, I've begun to realize they are calling me for.

Everyone has to realize that here in the US, whether it be in the hospitality industry or any other, YOU WILL CONTINUE TO RECEIVE shi**y service so long as our government allows small and big sleazy businesses pay LOW wages to people who end up caring less about customer service. Blame our government first and foremost...and then blame the media like AOL -- for only discussing stupid stuff like "oh really...wow...how could this be....HOTELS AREN'T REALLY THAT CLEAN??? WHAT??"

Well, no shi*.

December 19 2010 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
UnFan

You guys are all pretty funny if you ask me. Ask any reputable doctor or bacteriologist, germs and bacteria are everywhere in our environment, as they are supposed to be. 99.9% of healthy people are not adversely affected by them at all. As a matter of fact, normal levels of exposure such as this is beneficial to our imune systems, just like exercise keeps our muscles strong. Anyway, I guarantee you that 95% of 4 or 5 star hotels are much cleaner than 95% of our own bathrooms and bedrooms. So if your a germophobe, please stay home and let me get cheaper rates on my hotel stays from now on.

December 19 2010 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to UnFan's comment
Stephanie

Amen and thank you, Mathomps. You people who run around rubbing hand sanitizer 24/7 and spritzing anti bacterial spray all over everything are NOT doing your immune system any favors. Now, I'm not saying practice basic hygeine, both personal and in your household, but for the love of man, I've never seen so many germ phobes running around these days. Also, people who run to the doctor for antibiotics everytime they get a cold instead of letting their body take care of it are not helping themselves.

December 19 2010 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TooFred

That's why I pack Clorox or Lysol antibacterial wipes with me when I travel. Wipe down EVERYTHING, including TV remote controls, phones, handles, toilet seats, desks, etc,, DAILY! After reading how old rags are reused when cleaning, antibacterial wipes are your last line of defense!

December 19 2010 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

The kind of money these big hotels charge the rooms should be spotless and a broad should come with the room to service the man.
21 years ago I started a window cleaning business and needed wash cloths and hand towels. I went to Disney in Florida. I stayed at the Sherton Lakes Side Hotel. I clean out the pool towels and raided house keeping and got many wash cloths and hand towels for my business. I have to say that hotel had very nice rooms and towels.
Thank you Sherton Lake Side....

December 19 2010 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Warren

Too many persons who clean hotel/motel rooms are from third world countries where, for the most part, sanitation is terrible. Others are from poorly educated famlies on the low end of the income scale. These workers do not know what "sanitary" means. If it looks clean, then that's good enough. Managers are "too busy" and many are too lazy to check on their workers. Furthermore, the cleaners are paid the minimum wage, which does not attract the best of workers.

December 19 2010 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teresa C.

I agree ... America's hotel/motel rooms aren't much better ... I have seen some things that made my skin crawl. I always take the comforter/bedspread off the bed and put it off to the side because I know they do NOT change them after EVERY customer. I always take antibacterial wipes to wipe down surfaces (toilet, sink counter, bathtub, door knobs, etc ... even the tile floors in the bathroom and in front of the sink). I never walk around barefoot (I always wear socks which I place folded on the nightstand while I sleep and then after using them again to go to the shower, I remove the dirty ones and replace them with clean ones after my shower the next morning). Don't get me wrong, I am not some sort of clean freak ... I know someone in the industry and she has told me horror stories of feces, vomit, blood, etc ... all "cleaned" up with an old rag and some water ... and then on to the next room. I CLEAN MY ROOM EACH TIME WHEN I ARRIVE.

December 19 2010 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply