Top 5 Romantic Getaways in California

Posted Dec 14th 2010 11:00 AMUpdated Jan 13th 2011 05:03 PM

romantic getaways in california

California has no shortage of romantic destinations. From the stunning coastline to the gorgeous city views, romantic getaways in California offer everything from world class culture and cuisine to adventure sports and natural habitats. The mild climate makes California a top choice for a romantic escape. These top five hot spots will bring some fire to your getaway in the Golden State.

Best Romantic Getaways in California - San Francisco

If city views, museums, shopping, and amazing seafood is on your romantic weekend to-do list, then plan a trip San Francisco. Stay at The Four Seasons on Market Street or the Clift Hotel on Geary and plan your adventure in the city by the bay. Visit the Ferry Building to sample gourmet foods at Boccalone, Hig Island Oyster Company, Miette and more. Shop in Hayes Valley and stop into Absinthe for a cocktail. Visit the de Young Golden Gate Park and stop into the Japanese Garden.

Best Romantic Getaways in California - Big Sur

This is the place for a quiet romantic getaway in California with stunning coastal views. Nestled on the cliffs over the ocean, the Post Ranch Inn is known to be one of the most romantic getaway locations in the world. More stunning views from Sierra Mar at Post Ranch in where chef seasonal ingredients are prepared by Chef Craig von Foerster. Visit the Carmel State Beach, Point Lobos State Reserve, and Point Sur Light Station. as well as several state beaches and parks. Or just enjoy the view and breath.

Best Romantic Getaways in California - Santa Barbara

Santa Barbara offers more beautiful California coastline and more delicious California wine. North of Santa Barbara Bacara Resort is close to the wine country. Heading further South the historic Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore offers sophisticated classic California architecture, Chef Joel Huff unique cuisine in Tyde's Restaurant, and access to the Coral Casino Beach and Cabana Club. Also close by, walking along Butterfly Beach and shops and cafes in the quaint town of Montecito makes a weekend in Santa Barbara one of the best romantic destinations in California.

Best Romantic Getaways in California - Los Angeles

From the big city views to lazy days by the beach, for a romantic getaway in Los Angeles start down town at the new Ritz-Carlton LA Live. Every room offers stunning city views and a central locations close to some of the best downtown restaurants, bars, and sites. In Beverly Hills stay among the stars at the Four Seasons Los Angeles at Beverly Hills and dine on modern Italina crudo and fresh pasta at the Culina. For a beach getaway, Casa Del Mar in Santa Monica or the Malibu Beach Inn at Carbon Beach offer California design and ocean views.

Best Romantic Getaways in California - The Napa Valley

This world famous wine region is home to home to lush vineyards, creative chefs, and plenty to explore. From the spa at Auberge du soliel to the fire places in the Meadowood cottages, a Napa Valley getaway could not be more romantic. Take a hot air ballon ride over the vineyards. Shop in Saint Helena. Take a day trip over to Sonoma to take a private tour of Hanzell or to have lunch at Charlie Palmer's Dry Creek Kitchen in Healdsburg. Then sit back relax and enjoy glass of local chardonnay.

Photo by Julie Wolfson

More California Articles From Our Partners
Filed Under: Beach, Romantic, Luxury

Sparta Cus

great list. I told people to come here once, though I had no chance to go to all these places, but it is wonderful for couples. I use relax on http://www.yepiclip.com | http://www.hopy1.com

May 29 2013 at 4:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R.Henry Goins

All of the name places mentioned in the article are wonderful. I would amend the list by adding Napa Valley. I love the wineries that allow for snacking in the out-of-doors while sipping on a bottle of whatever suits your taste buds. St, Helena, the City of Napa and Calistoga are must-visits when you are in the Valley.

December 16 2010 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lindsay

Fantastic list! I just celebrated my anniversary at Casa del Mar in Santa Monica. It was absolutely beautiful and right on the sand!

December 15 2010 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabella

While Post Ranch Inn gets a lot of "celebrity" attention, Ventana Inn (across HWY 1) is the more romantic, exclusive place. We tried Post Ranch Inn once and stayed in one of their tree house rooms. We could clearly hear the people staying below us. Thin walls. The hot tub is lovely but be prepared to walk to the far side of the restaurant (which is open to the public) to get there. The hot tub is just by the public bar. Then after being in the hot tub you must walk past the restaurant and up the road to your room.

Ventana Inn has pools and hot tubs that are not on a path for public access. They are private.

Post Ranch Inn is overrated because of the celebrity connection. Check out Ventana Inn if you are going to stay in Big Sur.

December 15 2010 at 2:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
June Strong

The happiest day of my life was on September 23, 2001. My husband and I drove up HWY 1 to Big Sur, The road trip and scenery in itself was mind blowing. I have traveled all over and never did I imagine trip up the Coats would make me so happy. Once you past Hertz Castle, it becomes a intimate two lane highway that is breath taking. Rolling green pines, fields of wildflowers, blue skies, fluffy white clouds, and the crystal green- blue ocean that makes you believe there is no other place on earth. "Magical" is how I describe Big Sur. We stayed at The Post Ranch Inn. There is nothing more romantic than sitting in a jacuzzi ,in a tree house with the open air flowing through, and listening to the shore break. I woke up to a COCO my husband had made me. I was looking out the window to Wild Turkey flying through the Canyon. The wild life there was amazing. It took my husband and I to a place of Gratitude and Peace. Especially getting married after 9-11. What is great about The California Coast is our State Beaches. There is so much to do for an out door junkie. Mountain Biking, Kayaking, Hiking, Fishing, Golfing, Swimming and many more adventures you can imagine. The food is like no other. We enjoyed the Momma-Poppa hole in the wall places. Not much for the big five star dining. Napa is an hour drive to the vineyards. I enjoyed Monterey myself. The shopping on Cannery Row left me not having room to get it all home. So of course that began our Annual Road Trip up the Coast, to celebrate our Union of Marriage. What I loved the most were the people. They were down to earth and heart warming with no pretensions.

December 14 2010 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply