Passenger Arrested for Punching TSA Agent

Posted Nov 18th 2010 10:24 AMUpdated Nov 18th 2010 02:39 PM

More proof of increasing tension at airport security checkpoints. An airline passenger has been arrested for punching a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officer in the chest after passing through a full-body scanner at Indianapolis International Airport.

John Christina, 51, of Simsbury, CT, says the incident was a joke. But the TSA says it is no laughing matter.

"TSOs (Transportation Security Officers) are on the front line defending the nation against terrorism every day and violence against them is shameful," TSA Press Secretary Nicholas Kimball tells AOL Travel News. "We are working with law enforcement to make sure appropriate action is taken."

Christina, a computer consultant, admitted to punching the officer. He was arrested, spent the night in jail and was released on $150 bond, with a superior court date set for Dec. 13

"If I had hit him with any malice or intent that would have been one thing. That was not my intention," Christina tells the Indianapolis Star newspaper.

Because he has health issues, including two metal hip implants that can set off metal detectors, Christina says he is used to spending extra time in security lines.

A law enforcement source says the punch came after Christina asked TSA agent Gregory Hutman, 28, a question he couldn't answer. Hutman is usually based in Dayton, Ohio, and was in Indianapolis for training.

"When he (the officer) didn't know the answer to a question the guy punched him," the source says.

The question was reportedly about increased security procedures.

Christina allegedly jabbed Hutman with a closed fist. A police report quotes Hutman as asking, "Why did you have to hit me?" And Christina saying, "I was only kidding with you."

Other passengers and TSA agents witnessed the incident.

John Gage, president of the American Federation of Government Employees, says the TSA needs to do a better job letting the public know about new security procedures to avoid such attacks.

Candi

Give ME a break..90 percent of the so called TSA 'Officers' are a bunch of 25 year olds who are on a power trip! I can't even count the number of times I wanted to punch one out. I am a US Military RETIREE, who REALLY did something to keep our country safe. My real day of waking came when I watched a STUPID 'TSO' pat down a THREE YEAR OLD. He even patted her crotch, get freaking real here, they need to GO

December 06 2010 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rt

these machines would not have picked up the underwear bomb you stupid idiots

November 18 2010 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rt

MOST OF THESE THUGS ARE EITHER EX CONS OR FOREIGN BORN MORONS

November 18 2010 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rt

IF I WANT A HANDJOB LET ME PIC THE PERSON

November 18 2010 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rt

osb himself could waltz thro security w an atom bomb on his head but these clowns would hasttle an 80 y o woman

what a joke

the israelis dont use them
they havent had one hijacking

November 18 2010 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony D.

Diana, is this why they got rid of you?
Most of the ones I observed were so impressed with their new badges,more money, they thought they were the airport Police...give me a break,once lazy always lazy. I'm sure some of the new employees are like every other job...some hard workers some worthless loafers. The process should have always been scrutinized and probational to get rid of the loafers.Until that happens we are stuck with upgraded security guards with big mouths,little intelligence and work ethic.

November 18 2010 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tony D.'s comment
dogsdlf2

I retired after 38 hard worked caring years asshole.

November 18 2010 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony D.

Suspect Bomb Found on Air Berlin Flight. They have all the time in the world and are testing every possible way to blow up a plane.
I guess a body scan is just one way of hopefully finding something before you and others are just peices in the aftermath. That would be little tiny peices. Maybe a finger a tooth or some other body part. But no you want to cry about an image that you can't tell who it is. Maybe it's better then crying when there trying to find peices of body from one of your loved ones.

November 18 2010 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Workman

Aimed a little low by about 10 inches. You think

November 18 2010 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony D.

LOL They're just waiting for us to relax. They know how most Americans are lazy and in a big damn hurry. A suicide bomber is just that. They don't care where they put explosives. Just like a Mule carrying drugs in there stomachs. There watching and waiting and yes it will happen again. If you don't want a full body scan then stay off my damn plane. I have things to do and places to go. Get the hell out of my way. You want security but fight everytime the gov. try's to do something about it.

November 18 2010 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeannette

I agree with Carlton. There are lots of people that hate Americans, and if you have traveled abroad lately, you would no what I mean. It is not like the days of old where they welcomed us with open arms. They hate us and will do anything to hurt us, even if it means sacrificing their women and children ( packing them with explosive material, etc....).

Look folks, I do not like wearing seat belts, or wearing helments but I do because I believe in safety first. My parents would tell myself and my siblings to keep your hands to your self wehn we were children. Was the TSA agent a friend of this guy or something? If you tried hitting some stranger in the chest out in the streets, it may just get you killed. My parents would also tell us that their will be a lot of things in life that you may not want to do or even like, but you will have too do it anyway and when you are old enough you will understand.

If we scale back security in the airport, what do we go back to, racial profiling? That does not work, since some of our own countrymen and women has been associated with some of these radical groups. If you dislike it so much, drive, but do not stop the rest of us that want to feel safe and secure.

November 18 2010 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply