Delta Passenger Scrutinized for Tattoo

Posted Nov 16th 2010 04:06 PMUpdated Nov 16th 2010 04:25 PM

A Los Angeles-based food stylist says he was asked to step off a Delta Air Lines flight for questioning over one of his tattoos. Adam Pearson has the words "Atom Bomb" on his fingers.

Pearson, a frequent flier who has logged 142,000 miles this year on Delta, says he had just settled into his seat on the flight to Memphis when a flight attendant asked him to come to the front of the plane, reports the LA Times. He says his first thought was that he was getting an upgrade.

Instead, Pearson was asked to leave the plane and faced questioning by the captain and flight attendant for "suspicious behavior." He says he was told another passenger had complained about his tattoos.

Pearson tweeted about the experience saying he was "shocked" by the carrier's move. He says "Atom Bomb" refers to his childhood nickname.

After the questioning, Pearson was allowed back on the flight, and flew to Memphis.

But he says the experience was embarassing. "All eyes were on me, I felt everyone staring at me and I was like, 'I didn't do anything,'" he says.

Pearson says Delta has promised to look into the incident, and he is hoping for a public apology.

"I'm not out for blood," Pearson says, "but why didn't they offer to book that other person on another flight if they didn't like my tattoos? Why was that other person more important than me?"

Paul

If this guy would have "I am an idiot" tattooed on his forehead, I'd gladly pay for it!

January 11 2011 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cynthia

Pearson asked an excellent question.... why wasn't the person who was so uncomfortable about his tattoos asked to find another plane to ride??? I'm glad Pearson did not miss his flight because of this individuals prejudice.

January 06 2011 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carrie

I think the travel industry needs an antipsycadic med. They see the word "bomb" and go paraniod. If you had "atom ant" there would have been no problem. I have a large dragon on my uper arm. People have judged me to be violent. What about a dragon is violent. It is the "Dragon of Peace". I got it when I was in a gang I started to stop the violend gangs and so them they could have they're turf with out fighting for it. I had a job that made me wear long sleeves to cover it. But, with my creating change personality I changed they're policy on tats. what they did to you is unforgivable. You should have had the other passenger questioned also, always fight for change!

December 03 2010 at 6:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smartfix

I like to read in the newspaper that a person with a tattoo gave the captain, flight attendant, and the complaining passenger the beating they deserved.

December 03 2010 at 12:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

Any person who chooses to tattoo themselves need not be concerned with their neighbors opinion. We don't live our lives for other people, and if you do, it's time to wake up. A tattoo doesn't make a person, so why should you allow your narrow-mindedness be any concern to anybody else? You're not God, so leave the judging to him and just worry about YOURSELF and your OWN life instead of stereotyping and judging your neighbors. There's no WE in harrassment. Your judgements are HARRASSMENT!

November 18 2010 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bev

And yet nothing is said over the president's middle name being Hussein

November 18 2010 at 8:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sondra

I don't know why but I don't like tatoos of any kind. My feelings have been like this since I was a small child. Thats when a lot of men were coming home from the war and most had at least one tatoo. I don't know hat happened to me to make me feel this way, so forgive me if I can't look at your tatoos. I do associate them with dirty and evil, even if it is a relative. sorry!

November 18 2010 at 7:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hello Bob

Probably not everyone in prison is mean, nasty or even dangerous. However, if a person is on death row it can be deduced that person is mean, nasty, dangerous and probably a murderer. Therfore, if you are going to run around with a permanently inked sign saying you are dangerous dirtball, then most reasonably astute people would indeed conclude you are indeed a dangerous dirtball and maybe an absolute lowlife. I personally do not want to sit next to you!

November 18 2010 at 6:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heidi

I have 17 tats and when people stare, I smile. I think alot of it is just pure curiousity. Judge not, lest thee be judged. Tats are becoming more socially acceptable, but there will always be those who think they are better than those who are inked, such is life. Love one another!

November 18 2010 at 6:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bev

Why do people that look like idiots shocked why they are treated like idiots

November 18 2010 at 5:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply