TSA Launches 'Enhanced Pat Down'

Posted Oct 29th 2010 11:10 AMUpdated Oct 29th 2010 11:16 AM

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has officially rolled out a new "enhanced pat down." The procedure was earlier tested at airports in Boston and Las Vegas.

The new pat down involves a more aggressive, palms-forward method where TSA screeners run their hands down the body of passengers. Previously, security officers used the back of their hands on sensitive areas such as the torso.

Pat downs are conducted on a random basis. In addition, passengers who opt not to go through controversial full body scanning machines, which release a small amount of radiation, can opt for a hand search and screening with a standard metal detector.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts expressed concern during the test at Boston's Logan International Airport over the summer, a spokesman telling the Boston Herald the new procedure seemed to amount to an "erosion of privacy, and we wonder whether or not it's really going to be effective."

The TSA says pat downs are designed to find dangerous items such as explosives and bomb parts that can be concealed on the body, and that the agency continually reviews and updates its procedures.

Photo, eyeliam, flickr

Char

I never thought I would live in a country (supposedly a free country at that), where all it's citizens would be subjected to such humiliation as what we have recently had to put up with and allow to happen, regarding TSA rules for passengers. It makes me sick, it really does! Besides that, I used to look forward to flying out to relatives' homes, or flying out for a summer vacation, somewhere else other than my present location, but now I am very deterred from spending my hard earned money on a so-called nice and relaxing vacation when I would be spending the first part of my vacation either getting radiation exposure to my body (that will contribute to causing cancer) where it will show all my private parts, places that I would only allow my own husband to see, or being mishandled with an extensive pat-down where only my husband is allowed to do that to me also, or worse yet, my own children have to be subjected to the same treatment whereas the same things happening to them would be considered sexual abuse towards a child in a classroom or the courtroom. So, yes I think I'll be better off taking a nice little summer vacation here at home where I am safer from all that nonsense, and will keep my temper in check, OR, perhaps driving and paying a little more for gas on the highways won't be so bad after all. Well, That's MY RANT!! LOL!

July 20 2011 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smileandactnice8

Well while we're getting groped and fondled and x-rayed at the airport, terrorists are going to be going for unsecured places like subways and train stations. Can you say, overkill???

July 20 2011 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dlmessman

I agree that the borders NEED security but I also believe that security for the traveling public is an absolute necessity or an avenue that is currently covered would once again be wide open to terrorists. The terrorists aren't going to give up folks. Ever. 9-11 was ten years ago and people have forgotten the horror and shock of being attacked on our own soil. Could TSA be more consistent? Yes and they should be. Please remember that the TSA Officers have no say in the policy and procedures---they are merely doing what your government tells them MUST be done or they lose their jobs! I've never been approached by a rude security officer, my attitude puts them at ease and the process takes less than 3 minutes! Some changes to the procedures would be wonderful but I'd rather have some security than no security! Airports need to make areas available for the elderly and disabled to sit. That is not an option the TSA has----if the airport doesn't want to allow the space, it doesn't happen. The management of the airport you use has a LOT to do with the process that you go through during the security checks. If the airport and the TSA would work together it could be a more positive experience for everyone. There are more knives, bullets, explosive chemicals and yes water, taken away than you would ever think. Water is a liquid, some people forget that all liquids, pastes and gels are limited to a minimum size and ultimately they don't follow the rules--- which holds up the line and costs the passenger money because those items should have been in their checked bags. The ultimate goal is to keep YOU safe. Remember that and pray that we are NEVER again attacked on our home ground. (if someone is rude to you, ask to speak to their supervisor or address them in a polite manner that you hear them and they don't need to be overly assertive and failing those two options, fill out a complaint form). Do your part to help keep this nation safe.

March 01 2011 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
profjbk

I wear a leg brace: Never is a chair offered and there is almost no way to remove the brace while standing, let alone putting it back on and retying my shoes. In addition, I am usually asked to step away from the conveyor belt so I can be searched, but my luuage must remain on the belt for a possible thief.

January 05 2011 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
a mother

Our family used to fly to our vacation destination at least once a year but no way am I subjecting my children to radiation or "enhanced" pat downs. What a shame. I hope the airline business suffers for this.

November 05 2010 at 8:25 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Its a new world out there, the ones who complain about being screened and cleared for travel will be the first ones to crap their pants and cry like a little girl when at 30,000 feet somebody tries to take over a aircraft with a gun,knife or IED!!!!!!......

November 03 2010 at 8:52 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bob parks

Muscles on a gal? Soft curves much better, baby.

October 30 2010 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john mournian

I just read that explosives were found on overseas USA inbound flights and that we have to go through another chorus of "heightened security". These full body scanners are not my idea of safety; will the US Government bring me back to life after I am buried?
Will good old (ex) President Bush have to undergo this routine or does he get the "courtesy" routine?
I think that I am just as much a patriotic USA citizen as he is, in fact__more so! Will President Obama & Family have to undergo this routine; not if
Himself and Herself think that the two girls are going to be in a dangerous circumstance! Let's just go on with the body pat downs and whatever else we have in way of metal and explsoive detection AND LET'S NOT TELL THE REST OF THE WORLD ABOUT IT! We talk too much.
John S. Mournian

October 29 2010 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

As long as they aren't reaching their hands down my shirt or pants I don't have a problem with it...Whatever it takes to make sure that when I fly I am safe...Plus, I work out 4 times a week...so they won't be feeling nothing but muscle baby :o)

August 25 2010 at 5:03 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Loyd

I watched a TSA employee texting the other evening. Her job was to eyeball everybody. I informed her boss who said " I have a talk with her". Fire all these Mc Donald's worker wannabes and hire ex-military.

August 25 2010 at 4:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply