Smiling Hippo at San Diego Zoo
Parker, 35, of Little Rock, Arkansas, says he told his wife, Lauren, to say "cheese" and the hippo responded.
The three-ton animal, Otis, even kept his pose while Lauren snapped a photo of her husband.
Earlier in the day Otis and another hippo, a female named Funani, were fighting in the tank. Scars can be seen on Otis's back. Parker says, "this is normal hippo behavior, but I don't think he won."
Credit: Caters News
Apparently the hippo's mood later improved, at least for the camera.
"When I look at his face I think he looks pretty tired by it all, or maybe he's having a happy dream – either way it's a great picture," Parker says.
The images have become an internet hit. Parker says he's even getting fan mail.
"It's kind of strange to think there are people out there with a picture of me on their computer, but I guess I'm just the hippo man as far they're concerned," Parker says
- Starbucks to Open on Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship [AOL Travel]
- Top 10 Drivers' Drives Around the World [National Geographic]
- Flight Attendants Dance to 'Safety Dance' (Video) [Huffington Post]
- 50 Secrets Your Pilot Will Never Tell You [Reader's Digest]
- 10 Places That Don't Exist, But Should! (Photos) [Lonely Planet]
Photos, Caters News
Find the best offers to compare and save money.
Search for Deals
Jan 17th 2014 5:04PM
Jan 14th 2014 2:57PM
Jan 9th 2014 1:09PM
- Adventure Travel
- Air Travel
- Arts & Culture
- Best Of
- Food + Drink
- Historic Sites
- Road Trips
- Spring Break
- Ski Vacations
- Spa & Wellness
- Tips & Tricks
- Weekend Getaways