Smiling Hippo at San Diego Zoo

Posted Oct 27th 2010 01:44 PMUpdated Oct 27th 2010 04:00 PM

Is this hippo smiling for the camera? Jay Parker says he was surprised that the hippopotamus appeared to pose in its tank as he snapped the photos at the San Diego Zoo.

Parker, 35, of Little Rock, Arkansas, says he told his wife, Lauren, to say "cheese" and the hippo responded.

The three-ton animal, Otis, even kept his pose while Lauren snapped a photo of her husband.

Earlier in the day Otis and another hippo, a female named Funani, were fighting in the tank. Scars can be seen on Otis's back. Parker says, "this is normal hippo behavior, but I don't think he won."

Smiling Hippo

Credit: Caters News

Apparently the hippo's mood later improved, at least for the camera.

"When I look at his face I think he looks pretty tired by it all, or maybe he's having a happy dream – either way it's a great picture," Parker says.

The images have become an internet hit. Parker says he's even getting fan mail.

"It's kind of strange to think there are people out there with a picture of me on their computer, but I guess I'm just the hippo man as far they're concerned," Parker says

freddie

nice

August 09 2011 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
toothis

HEY JAY!

October 28 2010 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay Parker

Sorry, folks, definitely not photoshopped. The hippo didn't move a muscle the whole time we were there, so I'm pretty sure he was asleep. You can see the original photos on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbparker/tags/hippo/

And for the record, Lauren is five years younger than me... I'm going to assume those comments are intended to compliment my taste rather than insult my hairline. :)

October 27 2010 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don\'t need \'em

THOSE ARE NOT THE SAME PICTURE- HOW DARE ANY OF YOU SAY THAT IT IS. I WILL PREACH THIS ON EVERY STREET CORNER IN THE WORLD UNTIL I MAKE THE WORLD REALIZE THAT IT IS TWO SEPERATE PICTURES OF OTIS. THIS IS MY MISSION- COME, FOLLOW ME- BELIEVE THAT IT IS TWO SEPERATE PICTURES OF THE HIPPO. I CANNOT, I WILL NOT REST TILST I PROVE THIS TO THE WORLD. OH SURE, THROW STONES AT ME, I CARE NOT, I WILL PREACH THE HAPHAR THEORY TILL ALL ARE BELIEVERS.

October 27 2010 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

I think hes cute!!!!

October 27 2010 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jbjg24m

one ugly creature thats for sure

October 27 2010 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I think hes asleep.Diffidently not smiling.

October 27 2010 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SweetLykeCandy

Yea that hippo just looks scary not adorable or cute but like he's ready to eat them through the glass! Very creepy "smile"!!

October 27 2010 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MHansen

LMAO..TO FUNNY

October 27 2010 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vidian johnson

ohhh who gave birth to those twins i bet she's ?

October 27 2010 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply