Great Whites Close Cape Cod Beaches, Again

Posted Aug 13th 2010 08:56 AMUpdated Aug 15th 2010 08:01 AM

The sighting of a 14-foot great white shark forced officials to hastily close beaches in Chatham, Massachusetts.

The shark was one of several great whites spotted off Cape Cod this summer. And this time the giant creature was right inside Chatham's harbor.

The Cape Cod Times reports beach and harbor patrols scrambled to get swimmers out of the water.

The town issued a swimming ban from popular Lighthouse Beach to the border with Orleans.

Town and state officials were trying to determine whether the shark was a stray or was accompanied by other sharks, and whether it was safe to reopen the beaches this weekend.

Due to the string of great white shark sightings, officials have urged Cape beach-goers to stay on alert.

It may all sound like a scene out of "Jaws," which was filmed off nearby Martha's Vineyard. But in reality, the numbers this summer are rare, and the last fatal attack off Massachusetts was in 1936.

Meanwhile, the creatures have proven a tourist attraction, with some visitors coming to Chatham hoping for a shark sighting, though from the shore.

Photo, hermanusbackpackers, flickr

Vicki

Hey, I'm with ya! BUT - most shark attacks occur in 3 feet of water. Maybe you should just wade up to your ankles! lol

August 23 2010 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vicki

Yup, I think you're juvenile, too. And - actually - Mike is a bit off as well. Sharks stopped evolving millions of years ago because they'd already evolved to a near perfect eating machine. Why evolve further? The only changes sharkdom has made falls into the "cosmetic" category. Essentially, they're all pretty much alike.

As for you... Screaming hysterically that ANY life form on this planet should be killed off is just, well, juvenile. Not to mention, uninformed. When mankind first decided to swim in the ocean (and many freshwater rivers and lakes - yeah, sharks are there too!) he was invading the SHARK'S territory. Ya wanna swim with the big fish, ya takes yer chances. Sharks aren't out to destroy mankind, they just wanna survive. If we have a tendency to look like their natural prey, it's up to US to take the initiative and change that.

And - oh - by the way... I lost a leg to a Tiger Shark. Go wa-wa to someone else. I have no sympathy.

August 23 2010 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vicki

...da-dum...da-dum...da-dum...

August 23 2010 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Olivia

Marisa2414 those are my exact thoughts on sharks too! To say it shorter...No need to kill the sharks, but no need to think theyre gunna be friendly!!!

August 18 2010 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Olivia

George...kill the sharks??? Maybe all the sharks in Cape Cod are saying that they should kill you! HA! yup...thats what they're doin.

August 18 2010 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marisa2414

I hope nobody jumps down my throat for this comment........
I love sharks! I think they are awesome creatures. Every time I see them on film I am amazed. However (after watching many shows about sharks) I don't honestly believe that when someone dies from a "shark attack" that is just the sharks curiousity. They may be intelligent as far as ocean dwelling animals go but, they are still ANIMALS. When they are hungry they eat. Maybe they recognize certain shapes in the wateras being tasty but they try to eat you if you are what is available. Yes, they may spit you out but you may not be alive by then. Treat sharks for what they really are. Amazing creatures designed to kill and eat quickly. They don'tsee a human form in the water and think..."oh, wait that is a human being they don't taste good" They see something moving....probably reminds them of tasty seals....and they bite. And sometimes they decide they want more than a nibble. They aren't cute, sweet or lovable but we need them to keep things in check and they need us to protect them We are at the top of the food chain for a reason.....our highly developed brains (well most of us anyway). All I am saying is that I understand why someone (George) would make a comment like that. I don't agree....I don't think any animal should be killed unless it is causing harm to us. On the other hand I am scared of sharks...I like my limbs and my life for that matter. FYI I am writting this from Cape Cod and I have no intention of going in the water past my knees. Go sharks! LOL

August 17 2010 at 7:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris

Jaws was named Bruce after Spielberg's lawyer

August 16 2010 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimmyfish

The fact is the sharks have always been there.Before,during and after Jaws.Of course the sightings increase when the food increases but the same thing happens at Stop and Shop when the salmon goes on sale..I work in East Harlem,NYC and have vacationed all over the Cape.Believe me when I say that I,m .I,m in far greater danger crossing 125tth st than I have ever been on the Cape.I swim all over and my favorite spot is South Beach off Chatam. Home of the seals.I figure if I never hit Powerball ,I wont be picked for dinner either.

August 16 2010 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dolores Dendy

Hey Mike, what a great idea! I think George wants to go first!

August 16 2010 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

To all who have advocated killing this shark and to the few and uneducated who have suggested eradicating them as a species I offer this scenario.
Fine! Go for it! The only caviat here is that you have to do it with what God gave you, which is to say your hands, feet and teeth.
No weapons of any kind allowed.
The shark will be at a distinct disadvantage as it only has it's teeth to fight with.
So go on ahead and jump in there, grab that shark by the tip of his/her dorsal fin and go for it.
Which ever one of you is left gets to live the rest of his/her/it's life unmolested.
Fair?