Man Blames Hot Cruise Ship for Lost Leg

Posted Jul 6th 2010 09:32 AMUpdated Jul 6th 2010 09:51 AM

A British man is seeking compensation claiming he lost his leg after getting badly burned feet on a cruise ship pool deck.

The Mirror newspaper in the U.K. reports Ronnie Dunbar, 55, is wheelchair-bound after his injuries, which he says occurred on the British ship Ocean Village in the Caribbean.

Dunbar tells the paper he had taken his wife on the cruise for her 50th birthday and was burned getting out of a lounge chair on a hot pool deck.

"We were off the coast of Belize. I put my feet down and they got stuck and started to sizzle. I wrenched them up and the skin was all off. It was agony. It has ruined my life," Dunbar says.

His left leg was amputated at the knee after becoming infected.

Dunbar says he was told he can't collect compensation because the legal time limit has passed – the incident was in December 2007 – but he has hired a new legal team to look into the matter. Ocean Village denies liability, the Mirror reports.

Photo, Tom Mascardo 3, flickr

avl14

I HAVE BEEN ON MANY CURISE SHIPS LOTS OF BARE FEET, HE MUST HAVE SOMETHING ELSE GOING ON WITH HIS FEET, TO HAVE THE SKIN COME OFF.

July 07 2010 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura Lynn

I saved for years to be able to afford my dream trip, a cruise to Alaska. But my dream trip turned into a nightmare. The first night in port I came down with bronchitis. I had a temperature of 102F and I ached all over. I went to the ships infirmary to see if they could give me anything to clear my lungs but they said that I was fine and wouldn't even start a file on me. I spent the rest of the cruise, 5 1/2 days, in bed sick as a dog. And the bad thing about the cruise line I was on is that their room service was non-existant. I'ld say out of the 5 1/2 days of breakfasts, lunches and dinners that I called into room service, I only got three meals TOTAL. But what really made me made was when I got back and I tried to file a claim on my travelers insurance because my trip was basically interrupted and ruined by illness and I didn't get the full benefit of what I had paid for. But they refused my claim because the ship had no record of my being ill. I was so mad. So, word to the wise, if you ever go on a cruise and you get sick, insist on the ships doctor making a log, opening a file, making some notation that you were indeed ill and when you were seen otherwise you'll never get your money back.

July 06 2010 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

He is probably diabetic, burned his feet, didn't attend to them properly, and ended up losing his feet. My question is, there wasn't a ship's doctor on board? Did he have his feet treated? I seriously doubt it and there are too many loopholes in this story for anyone to make a determination from this story alone. You are all right, getting paid for stupidity, is well, stupid!!!! Get a clue folks!

July 06 2010 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donna

Cathy...it's called use COMMON SENSE!!!!! Now why don't you try using your brain!!!!@

July 06 2010 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeremy

Another idiotic sue-happy Brit

July 06 2010 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

So what did you give your wife on her 50th birthday?
Oh a foot and a half

July 06 2010 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cjbsrn

I went on a cruise with my friend and her daughter, who was 15 at the time. She went to the pool. After she got out, she walked across the deck and burned her feet very badly. She was wheelchair bound for most of the trip. And No, she did not have any alcohol to drink. We took her to the infirmary and the staff mentioned that this happens a lot.

July 06 2010 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ginny

hhhmmmm...sounds more like someone's looking for a way to get money..sorry I've been on a few cruises and never have experienced a deck like this man claims..ironic no one else on that ship of thousands experienced same problem

July 06 2010 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

Peter, I am a diabetic and have been on over 20 cruises, including Belize. does the deck get hot in the tropical sun, Yes but Never has it been so hot that I stuck to it nor have I ever burned my feet. this person is just trying to make some money off the cruise line to cover his medical expenses or for personal gain.

July 06 2010 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Red Sam Rackham

Gee, it's a good thing this dummy didn't pour hot coffee on his leg in the dining room or then the cruise line would really be in for a big lawsuit!

July 06 2010 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply