Cruise Line Cuts Rates for Single Travelers

Posted Jun 25th 2010 03:28 PMUpdated Jun 25th 2010 03:49 PM

Cruise lines are getting the idea that single travelers are among their potential customers, and making new efforts to attract those traveling alone.

First Norwegian Cruise Line introduced a whole complex of solo traveler cabins on its new 4,100-passenger Norwegian Epic. Now ultra luxury line Silversea Cruises said it is reducing its singe supplement on select voyages this year.

Most cruise lines base their fares on two people sharing a cabin. If you want the cabin to yourself you may have to pay for two people, or 100 percent more than someone sharing.

With Silversea's Solo Traveler fares you pay only 10 percent more than the per person rate for a suite on four sailings (all cabins on Silversea ships are suites). Silversea also expanded an offer of a 25 percent single supplement to 24 sailings this year.

The luxury line said it recognizes that a growing number of men and women are traveling alone today, either by choice or necessity, and the line wanted to offer a more affordable option.

"These special rates make it easier for our single guests to make vacation plans without having to worry about finding a travel companion to keep the costs down," said Steve Tucker, Silversea's vice president of field sales for North America.

Silversea's fares are all-inclusive – accommodations, wine and spirits, gratuities and fine dining are included in the cruise fare.

Cruises with Solo Traveler rates include a weeklong Mediterranean cruise from Venice to Athens on the Silver Wind, August 20-27, priced from $4,651, with free air available from select gateways.

Photo courtesy of Silversea Cruises

clerins madona

Nice ship for my treavling..........

September 22 2010 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
high migh

Here are nice picture for me.

September 02 2010 at 4:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sue carmela

AS A BABY BOOMER I TRAVEL 4 TO 8 TIMES A YEAR.

SINCE IM RETIRED AND SINGLE AGAIN I STOPPED CRUISING WITH CARNIVAL MSC AND OTHER LINES SINCE THE SINGLE SUPPLEMENT IS UP TO 200 PERCENT,

I AM NOW FLYING TO EUROPE AND ELSEWHERE WITH A TRAVEL AGENCY THAT DOES NOT CHARGE EXTRA FOR SINGLE TRAVEL TOURS.THEY ARE GREAT!!!

AS A PAST GUEST ON MOST CRUISE LINES I SAY WAKE UP AND ENTICE THIS MARKET,
IM A SINGLE TRAVELER NO INTEREST IN singles CRUISES TO MEET THE MAN OF MY DREAMS

August 15 2010 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jakiim marlsen

Wooooooooo,so hot topic for me.

August 04 2010 at 8:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Former Cruiser

NCL EPIC so call Solo Cabins have come about from someones mistakes of thinking they could put 2 people into a very tiny inside room with mood lighting and a shared lounge. The price for these room are VERY HIGH for what you get. They are covering it up by calling them Suites. If 2 people are crazy enough to want one of these rooms it will be sold to them before a single person.

The idea sounds great but the cruise industry will still have to work on the idea on how to get all us past cruisers and new cruisers that are single and not necessarily seniors back to cruising again. I know I miss it very much and it is ashame I can no longer enjoy it as I use to. With what all these new ships have to offer I will in no way be able to experience it.

June 28 2010 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Juanita Sehorne

I know it cost a lot of money for each room ... But there are ships that leave with empty rooms that could be filled with singles....and lets face it they make alot of money on selling items at the shops and bars...it all adds up ..

June 28 2010 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Holly

This isn't about a penalty for single people.. it is about maximum profit for the cruise lines.. which if you were an owner, you would want to maximize your profits too! If they can book a room for two.. it is twice the profit... If they can't book it for twice as much.. might as well lower it for the single cruisers. Two people/ 1 room = 2 food portions/1 space water/laundry service labor 1 person/ 1 room =1 food person/1 water laundry service labor cost. But, that is only if the ship is full... maximum profits... If it can't fill the ship.. rent some rooms per person.. But, I understand that 1 person/ room is not as cheap as 2 per room... The food/service & fuel is what costs the most.. not the space. Those that think they just want to "punish" single people aren't thinking about eh whole picture.. income vs. expenses... but some discounts should be made if the ship isn't booking to full capacity....

June 28 2010 at 4:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kay

I accepted a roomate deal with HAL on a cruise and got a real sociopath for a roomate. She would go thru my private things when I was out of the cabin, and then ask me questions about them when I came back. She was verbally abusive and watched my valuables like a hawk, in case I left them unattended. When she couldn't find the ring she'd had her eye on, she excoriated me for sleeping with my purse under my covers at night. One drunken nite, she came in and made a sexual pass when I was half asleep in bed. HAL treated me like an insignificant chronic complainer and said they couldn't do anything about it. I was made to feel that a woman travelling alone was obviously unwanted and worthless and had no backing or redress. So be careful!

June 28 2010 at 3:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bestred77

Yes! Finally, someone came through with logical options for single travelers! I always heard NCL was for older travelers but I may be compelled to check this out.

June 28 2010 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat Green

Since my husband passed away, I have not been on a cruise because I have no one to go with. I really like the idea of "single" rooms and fares for single people like me. I wish all cruise lines would do this and I would be the first one on board again. I love to cruise...

June 28 2010 at 12:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply